North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There was a thread a while back entitled "Belief not a choice?" and several atheists in that thread insisted that people only come to believe things by evaluating evidence. So I thought I'd extend that into a syllogism and see if it floats.

1. People only come to believe something by evaluating evidence.
2. People who are Christians believe that God exists.
3. Therefore, People who are Christians only came to believe that God exists by evaluating evidence.

Is the above a sound argument? If not, why not?

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There was a thread a while back entitled "Belief not a choice?" and several atheists in that thread insisted that people only come to believe things by evaluating evidence. So I thought I'd extend that into a syllogism and see if it floats.

3. Therefore, People who are Christians only came to believe that God exists by evaluating evidence.

After reading the post below this one I've decided my idea my not be correct and have withdrawn it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

True Scotsman

Objectivist
Jul 26, 2014
✟16,557.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

No it's not. Premise one is not true. People believe things for all kinds of reasons, some valid and some not. I've had plenty of people tell me that I should believe first and then the understanding will be given to me. Clearly this is not belief based on the evaluation of evidence.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Since that thread is still available, why don't you link or quote some of these atheists who said you "only come to believe something based upon evidence?"

It would be helpful to see what they said exactly and the context they said it in.

Upvote 0

Joshua260

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since that thread is still available, why don't you link or quote some of these atheists who said you "only come to believe something based upon evidence?"

It would be helpful to see what they said exactly and the context they said it in.
Primarily because you don't need to see what others said in order to answer whether you believe the argument is sound or not.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Primarily because you don't need to see what others said in order to answer whether you believe the argument is sound or not.

Well frankly, after that last thread of yours...I'd like to see if any atheists are actually saying what you claim they're saying. I read through the thread...but I didn't see any atheists saying ..."people only come to believe things by evaluating evidence. "

Now admittedly, I read through it pretty fast, so I guess I could've missed it. However, if it's just not there...maybe the real question should be, "Why do some people feel the need to misrepresent atheists?" I understand this question would be off-topic of course...so I'd have to start a new thread. Unlike you though, I'll be posting links to posters who've intentionally misrepresented atheists.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married

You cannot demonstrate P1 to be true. I know from personal experience that it is not.

I came to believe in Santa as an adult without consciously evaluating any evidence.

I still get goosebumps. :)

I do wonder about your fascination with atheism. If you only put some effort into demonstrating that your god is more than a character in a book, would not that address the issue?

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
There was a thread a while back entitled "Belief not a choice?" and several atheists in that thread insisted that people only come to believe things by evaluating evidence.
I don´t believe you. Support your claim with quotes.
So I thought I'd extend that into a syllogism and see if it floats.
You have already had a thread on that very question.

Yes, it´s sound in that the conclusion follows from the premises.
Unfortunately, premise 1 is inaccurate.

Upvote 0

Joshua260

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well frankly, after that last thread of yours...I'd like to see if any atheists are actually saying what you claim they're saying. I read through the thread...but I didn't see any atheists saying ..."people only come to believe things by evaluating evidence. "

Now admittedly, I read through it pretty fast, so I guess I could've missed it. However, if it's just not there...maybe the real question should be, "Why do some people feel the need to misrepresent atheists?" I understand this question would be off-topic of course...so I'd have to start a new thread. Unlike you though, I'll be posting links to posters who've intentionally misrepresented atheists.
Off topic.

Upvote 0

Joshua260

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don´t believe you. Support your claim with quotes.

You have already had a thread on that very question.

Yes, it´s sound in that the conclusion follows from the premises.
Unfortunately, premise 1 is inaccurate.
I think you mean valid but unsound. Thanks for your response.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wryetui

IC XC NIKA
Dec 15, 2014
The Carpathian Garden
✟15,670.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I do not consider that evidence is the major part for belief in Christ, but I would say love is. God's call leads those who want to have faith, people return to God and get faith not because someone gave them complicate explanations and arguments, evidence or answers, but because they saw in Him that light, joy, profoundness, seriousness and most importantly, love, are the only things that reveals God's presence in the world.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

1) No
2) Yes, and our belief grows and evolves or devolves.
3) No, belief or trust is innate in children, human and faith children. In a spiritual sense belief in God seems instinctual, natural, by design. As one grows in intellect and emotional maturity the claims of religion about God may come into conflict with their developing beliefs.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
1) No
2) Yes, and our belief grows and evolves or devolves.
3) No, belief or trust is innate in children, human and faith children. In a spiritual sense belief in God seems instinctual, natural, by design.
Or, credulousness is an evolved trait, particularly in childhood. Those children that disregarded the elders' warnings to stay back from the river or they will be eaten by crocodiles took themselves out of the gene pool.
As one grows in intellect and emotional maturity the claims of religion about God may come into conflict with their developing beliefs.
Or, observations of reality. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joshua260

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I came to believe in Santa as an adult without consciously evaluating any evidence.
Yes, I remember believing in Santa simply because my parents told me so and at the time I had no reason to doubt them. That is what is referred to as a "properly basic belief". But as I got older, I evaluated various evidences and determined that his existence was less than probable. I also found the same to be true of the tooth fairy.

In regards to various possible candidates for creators of the universe, I used logical arguments to rule out such gods as Thor and all of the Greek and Roman gods(because they are all continent on the universe) and the Flying Spaghetti Monster (because he is immaterial and thus could not have created the material universe).

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It's not really sound. Basically because Scripture states that Christians have to be "called" by God in order to begin approaching Him with a positive response (i.e. faith); evaluating evidence is just a portion of the spiritual and psychological process at play within the overall structure of faith, not the essential element.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian

People come to believe things for many reasons, many being emotional or experiential.
Christians believe in God because God has revealed Himself to them. Nobody can truly have faith without God's hand involved because faith is a gift from God.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I remember believing in Santa simply because my parents told me so and at the time I had no reason to doubt them. That is what is referred to as a "properly basic belief". But as I got older, I evaluated various evidences and determined that his existence was less than probable. I also found the same to be true of the tooth fairy.

In regards to various possible candidates for creators of the universe, I used logical arguments to rule out such gods as Thor and all of the Greek and Roman gods(because they are all continent on the universe) and the Flying Spaghetti Monster (because he is immaterial and thus could not have created the material universe).
You were talking of believing things as an adult without consciously evaluating any evidence, to which I was relating my own experience.

Did you come to your belief in your current god on the evaluation of the evidence? What evidence was that?

Upvote 0