Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
With all that's going on at my work, I'm just beginning to think that the only thing I'm cut out for is simple manual labor in poverty. I'm no more perfect than any other human being, but I'm very intelligent and insistent on honesty, and as soon as people pick up on that, they start maneuvering against me because they figure their dirty little secrets aren't safe from me. I know the life of a monk is not escape from the world. I realize shady stuff goes on even in the deepest chambers of our Church. But if I can just find a simple pattern of living, away from all the games of thrones that intensify whenever there are big-time resources and social influence to win, I can at least prevent myself from being stressed enough to want to die. I mean, maybe a simple job at Kroger can offer me the same thing, but either way, I feel I am done with any skilled labor that involves actually applying my expertise. I know how to play the Game; but it's not worth playing to me.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You visit monasteries, talk to the elders, and eventually become a novice to determine if it is really what you should become. Not every novice becomes a monk, but every novice benefits from the experience.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Monasteries are filled with sinners just like jobs. The only difference is the monk’s awareness of his sinful nature and need for a Savior. Some behaviors will be overcome in that setting and others will not. He may add a few to his plate as well!

I attended a monastic weekend for a Trappistine monastery and have visited a few times since then. I developed a close bond with the vocational director. We shared a meal with the novices and they spoke candidly about their experiences.

It isn’t a utopia. You’ll have similar irritations. One of them described it as sandpaper moments and her words have remained with me. A life of simplicity is no guarantee for the absence of the problems you’ve shared.

Pride and self-righteousness can be commonplace in religious settings. As is sloth for some. If you are considering this you’d need a working visit. You’ll have to experience their rhythm beyond a weekend.

I would implore you to seek the Lord’s peace and wisdom. Some irritations are meant to ignite our spirit. Not send us into hiding. You mention your intelligence and fatigue at the politics at your job.

Perhaps its presence is meant to spark a different response. Maybe you are best suited for entrepreneurship not a monastery. Have you considered the possibility that workplace frustration is a ministry in itself?

Millions of people experience the same every day. Who will they look to for encouragement? Who will give them soothing manna that restores the mind and spirit? Whom can He send? :)

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Perhaps its presence is meant to spark a different response. Maybe you are best suited for entrepreneurship not a monastery. Have you considered the possibility that workplace frustration is a ministry in itself?
Of course. That is what I attempted to do in the current position. But what it all comes down to is that my ability to see the deeper issues is interpreted as a threat.

There are many sins I tolerate daily. Pride? Self-righteousness? Sloth? I am quick to forgive these. I've lived them all myself. But lies? Lies that risk harm to children? I cannot tolerate it.

Upvote 0

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What the others said - quoting one of the first and the smallest responses:
You visit monasteries, talk to the elders, and eventually become a novice to determine if it is really what you should become. Not every novice becomes a monk, but every novice benefits from the experience.

That said, if you really want to become a monk, you must see why you want to do it.
You should hate the world but not the people. There is a big difference between the two.

In fact, there are several causes which brings someone to monastic life, each one with its effects.

Also, commenting on this, which is mostly true:

Monasteries are filled with sinners just like jobs. The only difference is the monk’s awareness of his sinful nature and need for a Savior. Some behaviors will be overcome in that setting and others will not. He may add a few to his plate as well!

And knowledge. The monk - or, more exactly, his spiritual father which is usually the Abbot - has (much) more experience which means much more knowledge on how to cure the soul.

Besides that, monasticism isn't the place where someone comes to be saved. The goal of monastic life isn't our salvation. It is our deification, thing which is impossible for us.

That's why in order to become monk, you must firstly renounce to everything and upon this foundation he needs to (re)build his new resurrected person.

There are three ways to do this - but in any case you must be obedient because otherwise, like LaBella said, you won't get out well.

So, if you want to become monk you must be determined and, firstly, obedient and then God will help you.

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
So, if you want to become monk you must be determined and, firstly, obedient and then God will help you.
When I get determined about things, it's usually a bad sign. It's usually a sign that I'm hypomanic. When I am obedient--and I want to be--I become so pliable that I start making choices that lead to depression.

Upvote 0

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
When I get determined about things, it's usually a bad sign. It's usually a sign that I'm hypomanic. When I am obedient--and I want to be--I become so pliable that I start making choices that lead to depression.

That's why a monks need an Elder - that is a very-close-spiritual-father-much-closer-than-a-normal-confessor-in-the-world. Usually this is his abbot.

He will adjust your path continuously. After some time (expressed in years) one learns how to do it alone.

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
That's why a monks need an Elder - that is a very-close-spiritual-father-much-closer-than-a-normal-confessor-in-the-world. Usually this is his abbot.

He will adjust your path continuously. After some time (expressed in years) one learns how to do it alone.
Question is, how do I pay for my meds?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Question is, how do I pay for my meds?

You must not have debts when you go to monastery because this is your responsibility. Besides that, since you renounced at everything (including your wealth, of course) all your expenses (especially the medication) is payed by the monastery.

This is settled down between you and your abbot / spiritual father in your conversations.

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
You must not have debts when you go to monastery because this is your responsibility. Besides that, since you renounced at everything (including your wealth, of course) all your expenses (especially the medication) is payed by the monastery.

This is settled down between you and your abbot / spiritual father in your conversations.
My vintage video game collection is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Upvote 0