Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I know the basics, but would like to have a deeper understanding of atonement.

I believe Jesus took our guilt and sins upon himself and died because of them (He was a sacrifice). But does this happen in the opposite direction? Do we also get His righteousness in return, or does the removal of sin make us righteous in itself?

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I not sure we can improve on the words in the epistles, which address very deep things, and I think sometimes our modern wordings can be problematic if we trust them too much and forget this involves God, and I feel Isaiah 55 NIV is helpful, in that we learn we cannot know all about the mind of God, but only know some things He reveals to us. That if we know several true things about this question, it's not knowing all about it. (reminds me suddenly of the beginning of 1 Cor 8) So, instead of wanting even more paraphrases or thoughts on it, I can simply trust Him, knowing He is ultimately more than we can fully understand.

Put another way, the solution is to read more scriptures instead of trying to think up more explanations. :) I was blessed by Psalm 40 NIV last night.

Upvote 0