Nathan David

Sep 5, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟2,226.00
Faith
Atheist
Raydar said:
It also does not mention the number of sons and daughters Adam and Eve had, all their names, where Nod was other then "east of Eden" I will admitt there are assumptions left to the reader.
But this is a pretty big assumption. It's adding a whole new element to the story.

One could just as easily make competing assumptions that are not contradicted by the text. For example, that the people of Nod were descended from the men and women created in the first part of the Genesis story. Adam and Eve might not have been the very first men and women, but the only two created in Eden and the ones from whom Noah, and thus Abraham, were descended. The people of Nod would have inherited original sin from Cain.

Or, the people of Nod might have been homo erectus hominids with whom Cain could breed. That's no less plausible than speculating that inbreeding between Cain and a sister wouldn't have been a problem because their DNA was "pure" (whatever that means).

Upvote 0

Nathan David

Sep 5, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟2,226.00
Faith
Atheist
Raydar said:
I am sorry, what contradictions in the text are you referring to?
I am not. I am talking about making up stories to explain what the text doesn't. The idea that Cain married one of his sisters is one such story. The two stories I presented are others. None of them contradict the text of Genesis.

Upvote 0

Raydar

Child of Christ
Sep 15, 2003
WI
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nathan David said:
I am not. I am talking about making up stories to explain what the text doesn't. The idea that Cain married one of his sisters is one such story. The two stories I presented are others. None of them contradict the text of Genesis.
Ah yes, these are the things that divide the Church into different denominaions.
That is, the way different churches interpret the Bibles text. For example, in 1Cor, 11:4-9 some denominations interpret it to mean that a man should not have long hair and a woman not short hair. Others say it means a man should not cover his head and a woman should cover her head (when praying or prophesiesing) and others say it is teaching specificlly for the church in Corinth, where their was (which is how they worshiped one of the pagan gods) a large population of male and female prostitutes that were then coming to the church there.

Upvote 0

MooTipping

Oct 26, 2004
Northfield, Minnesota
Visit site
✟15,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Boomygrrl said:
I am a direct descendent from Nod and am not stained by the Original Sin.
Seriously, though, if you take all this literally, your head is going to explode trying to make this all work out. That's my humble opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Boomygrrl

Hehe...it's okay. I don't take most of the Bible litterally anyways. I was just curious on what people have to say.
tnx

Upvote 0