How does God recognize a marriage if its not a sacred sacrament?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Right, it's the same.
The person has to be a practicing Christian and they also have to be married in a church; otherwise they're seen as co-habiting, even if civilly married.

Yes, the Catholic Church does require Catholics to be married in a church, to be in good standing. Protestants, however, generally do not. A civil magistrate is a perfectly valid way for a Protestant couple to be married.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally agree with you, I just starting to believe they might not agree. So by extension they, Catholic and Orthodox, shouldn't recognize one another's marriages either, since they mutually excommunicated one another. Look at the title of the thread.
C, marriage is marriage no matter in what church it's celebrated.
Ditto for baptism.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the Catholic Church does require Catholics to be married in a church, to be in good standing. Protestants, however, generally do not. A civil magistrate is a perfectly honorable way for a Protestant couple to be married.
Really? Are you sure?
In the Nazarene Church I used to attend, it was pretty much like the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Really? Are you sure?
In the Nazarene Church I used to attend, it was pretty much like the Catholic Church.

Some of the Pietist or Wesleyan churches may have that attitude, as well as some Anglicans (up until the mid 19th century, it was required for all subjects in England to be married in an Anglican church, regardless of religion, in fact). But in Reformed and Lutherans churches the civil magistrate is a legitimate way to marry. Most historically chose to be married in a church, though.

• Informative
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Really? Are you sure?

It seems the deeper we dig, the closer we come to discovering the official stances on these matters. It doesn't stop at marriage. For better or worse, they also instruct on what a husband and wife should and should not do physically with one another.

• Agree
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I just noticed your avatar and am feeling uncomfortable discussing this..

I didn't mean to offend anyone.

My avatar is Goliath, a dog from the Davey and Goliath... which was an animated TV show produced by my church in the 60's and 70's to teach children about being a Christian. I remember watching reruns of it as a child.

• Haha
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems the deeper we dig, the closer we come to discovering the official stances on these matters. It doesn't stop at marriage. For better or worse, they also instruct on what a husband and wife should and should not do physically with one another.
We don't even have to dig so deep!
It's all there for us to read.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't mean to offend anyone.

My avatar is Goliath, a dog from the Davey and Goliath... which was an animated TV show produced by my church in the 60's and 70's to teach children about being a Christian. I remember watching reruns of it as a child.
You didn't offend!
I felt I was offending!
:)

(I didn't mean your image but what is written under it)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
You didn't offend!
I felt I was offending!
:)

(I didn't mean your image but what is written under it)

Goliath often acts as Davey's conscience when Davey is doing something that could get him into trouble. Like in one episode where Davey and Goliath go into a museum, and Davey contemplates climbing onto a dinosaur. However, being in a midwestern Lutheran family, he often objects to Davey's mischief in an indirect way: "I don't know, Davey...".

Lots of midwestern people are of Scandinavian descent and they tend to be indirect, and if you get them mad, they act passive-aggressively or very indirectly. My pastor says there was somebody a few years ago at our church that went around cutting electrical cords and tampering with electrical sockets (we never found out who, but Pastor just suspects it was a disgruntled member of the congregation). That's the sort of stuff angry midwestern people do, rather than bringing a gun to church and shooting people, they sabotage the electrical sockets.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Goliath often acts as Davey's conscience when Davey is doing something that could get him into trouble. Like in one episode where Davey and Goliath go into a museum, and Davey contemplates climbing onto a dinosaur. However, being in a midwestern Lutheran family, he often objects to Davey's mischief in an indirect way: "I don't know, Davey...".

Lots of midwestern people are of Scandinavian descent and they tend to be indirect, and if you get them mad, they act passive-aggressively or very indirectly. My pastor says there was somebody a few years ago at our church that went around cutting electrical cords and tampering with electrical sockets (we never found out who, but Pastor just suspects it was a disgruntled member of the congregation). That's the sort of stuff angry midwestern people do, rather than bringing a gun to church and shooting people, they sabotage the electrical sockets).
Sounds like an Italian!
You always have to read between the lines.
My friends know not to do this with me...I tell them I only understand what I'm told.

Guess anything is better than a gun,,,but I don't like the electrical cord cutting either.

I just say it and get it over with!
In a nice way of course.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd say that the Orthodox look more like the original church...A bishop for each location. In the 3 top locations, which I can't remember right now, one was Rome (maybe Constantinople and Alexandria) the bishop was called the Pope. When this title decided to be given only to the bishop of Rome and would make him the supreme ruler, the schism ocurred - denying papal authority over all bishops.

It does seem to me that the Catholic church changed the paradigm.

All the early church bishops had the designation of 'Pope?' So the bishop of Constantinople was also called 'Pope' when the Bishop (Pope) of Rome was declared to have primacy?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A hard question for Protestants and "Bible only Christians" to answer:

If Marriage is considered Sacred and Blessed by God, then how does God recognize a marriage if its not a sacrament?
A Sacrament is defined as channeling of Gods grace. Nowadays, court marriages are becoming more common. This makes marriage look less serious. And there are also drive-through Weddings, like the ones in Las Vegas that makes the bond of marriage look as sacred as McDonalds.

In Mark 10, Jesus said that God bonds marriage together and it is considers sacred, not just a fancy rite of a man and a women coming together.

The Holy Catholic, and Apostolic Christian Church considers marriage to be a holy bond put together by God between man and a woman.

In Protestant marriages, the pastor takes over the role of the priest in the marriage. But how can a pastor bless a marriage if he does not have the anointing of a priest?

Who do you think married all of the folks in the Old Testament ?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
All the early church bishops had the designation of 'Pope?' So the bishop of Constantinople was also called 'Pope' when the Bishop (Pope) of Rome was declared to have primacy?
Rome always had primacy but as a first among equals. What the Pope didn't have was pope supremacy and infallibility.

• Informative
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A hard question for Protestants and "Bible only Christians" to answer:

If Marriage is considered Sacred and Blessed by God, then how does God recognize a marriage if its not a sacrament?
The same way He does anything else, according to His will. He is not beholden to or constrained by men in fancy robes.

The Holy Catholic, and Apostolic Christian Church considers marriage to be a holy bond put together by God between man and a woman.
And for the right price, that same church will annul the marriage as if it never existed. In my old diocese, last I knew, the going price was $500.

In Protestant marriages, the pastor takes over the role of the priest in the marriage. But how can a pastor bless a marriage if he does not have the anointing of a priest?
See my first response.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just saw this. Sorry.
Not sure what you're asking.

The head bishop of each region was called papa,,,it's an endearment.
And the bishop of Rome was the head of all the bishops.
I can't remember the year right now, but close to 1,000AD it was decided that the bishop of Rome ONLY would be given the Official title of Papa,,,Pope...
Pontefice. And thus he was declared the head of the CC.

The regions were
Rome
Jerusalem
Alexandria
Antioch
Constantinople

Upvote 0