How does God recognize a marriage if its not a sacred sacrament?

SaintCody777

The young, curious Berean
Jan 11, 2018
Miami, Florida
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
A hard question for Protestants and "Bible only Christians" to answer:
If Marriage is considered Sacred and Blessed by God, then how does God recognize a marriage if its not a sacrament?
A Sacrament is defined as channeling of Gods grace. Nowadays, court marriages are becoming more common. This makes marriage look less serious. And there are also drive-through Weddings, like the ones in Las Vegas that makes the bond of marriage look as sacred as McDonalds.
In Mark 10, Jesus said that God bonds marriage together and it is considers sacred, not just a fancy rite of a man and a women coming together.
The Holy Catholic, and Apostolic Christian Church considers marriage to be a holy bond put together by God between man and a woman.
In Protestant marriages, the pastor takes over the role of the priest in the marriage. But how can a pastor bless a marriage if he does not have the anointing of a priest?

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But how can a pastor bless a marriage if he does not have the anointing of a priest?

Are you implying protestant and courthouses marriages aren't valid in the eyes of God? Is the marriage covenant between the man, woman, and God not in effect and that we are all living in sin? Is this what your church teaches?

Are all non protestant marriages nullified if the priest performing the marriage turned out to be a pedophile? What's the doctrine behind the anointing and the purity of the pastor?

What do you mean by 'anointing' exactly?

a·noint
əˈnoint/
verb
gerund or present participle: anointing
  1. smear or rub with oil, typically as part of a religious ceremony.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A hard question for Protestants and "Bible only Christians" to answer:
If Marriage is considered Sacred and Blessed by God, then how does God recognize a marriage if its not a sacrament?
A Sacrament is defined as channeling of Gods grace. Nowadays, court marriages are becoming more common. This makes marriage look less serious. And there are also drive-through Weddings, like the ones in Las Vegas that makes the bond of marriage look as sacred as McDonalds.
In Mark 10, Jesus said that God bonds marriage together and it is considers sacred, not just a fancy rite of a man and a women coming together.
The Holy Catholic, and Apostolic Christian Church considers marriage to be a holy bond put together by God between man and a woman.
In Protestant marriages, the pastor takes over the role of the priest in the marriage. But how can a pastor bless a marriage if he does not have the anointing of a priest?
Are you talking about Apostolic Succession? Because that's something Protestants don't necessarily believe.

Upvote 0

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟348,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
as a "bible only" christian, let me bring forward what I believe is the teaching of the Bible.

Marriage was instituted in the Garden of Eden. More specifically Genesis 1:26-27: God made man in his image, as husband and wife created he them. So there is this very special significance of marriage that it reflects God, and this is why marriage is such a holy thing. And this is why marriage is indissoluble - as God can not be divided, so a marriage can not be divided.

Marriage is a one-flesh bond. This is seen first in Genesis 2:24 "this is now flesh of my flesh". Therefore when a man is married to a woman, her flesh is of his flesh. Never again two.

Marriage is instituted by exchanging vows - Adam spoke, and Eve became his wife. And so it is for all men onward, that when you speak the vows, that is when God will say "I hear that" and will make you one flesh.

So as a "bible only" christian, I do not see the necessity of a priest, I only see the necessity of a solemn vow from both parties.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When did the break occur?

Great point! Could it be possible that less than 3% of all couples every married ever were actually married in the eyes of God, when you factor in all the pagan, Jewish, and non EO marriages ever performed in the entire history of Christendom.

I think maybe the OP just got a little overzealous and is maybe a little young and didn't sort it all out before posting.

Sorry for getting angry.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great point! Could it be possible that less than 3% of all couples every married ever were actually married in the eyes of God, when you factor in all the pagan, Jewish, and non EO marriages ever performed in the entire history of Christendom.

I think maybe the OP just got a little overzealous and is maybe a little young and didn't sort it all out before posting.

Sorry for getting angry.
I meant when did the break occur in Apostolic succession.
Of course it exists.

BTW, you didn't seem angry to me.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought you meant the Catholic/ Orthodox schism and mutual excommunication.

I flashed so red I had to go for a power walk :)
No!
Thanks for clarifying.
And I couldn't see the red from here!
When I'm at the computer I'll write more.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I meant when did the break occur in Apostolic succession.
Of course it exists.

BTW, you didn't seem angry to me.
Apostolic succession never existed in the first place and is just an invention of religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apostolic succession never existed in the first place and is just an invention of religion.
Do you know Jesus?
The Apostles?
Do you know the Apostolic Father's?
Do you know the Early Church Father's?
Those that came after them.....
And so on.

So, in your opinion, when did the big break occur?

• Agree
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Do you know Jesus?
The Apostles?
Do you know the Apostolic Father's?
Do you know the Early Church Father's?
Those that came after them.....
And so on.

So, in your opinion, when did the big break occur?
Do you know Cornelius?
The Holy Spirit anointing came on him straight from the Lord as Peter watched completely shocked.
No apostolic succession there.

Apostolic succession is just a load of catholic bamboozling to con the saints out of their inheritance.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I can't see the relevance of this to my post?
However, to address your point, Christianity was turned into a religion by man not God.
Christianity has always been a religion. Jesus founded his One Holy Apostolic Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you know Cornelius?
The Holy Spirit anointing came on him straight from the Lord as Peter watched completely shocked.
No apostolic succession there.

Apostolic succession is just a load of catholic bamboozling to con the saints out of their inheritance.
That's very interesting.
I learned this in a Nazarene church.
It's just plain history.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We were discussing Apostolic succession.
It's history .... History is the same for both Catholics and Protestants.
So would Martin Luther have claim to Apostolic Succession since he was a priest and anointed in accordance with that tradition?

Upvote 0