How does God feel about those who drink alcohol or smoke marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
BTW humblejoe, for the benefit of all in this discussion, what is your definition of "drunk?" Is it: "relaxed," "slightly tipsy," "boisterous and annoying," "sick, word-slurring New Years reveler," "AA meeting anyone?" or "sleeping bum who's getting his pocket picked without even noticing?"

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Susan
BTW humblejoe, for the benefit of all in this discussion, what is your definition of "drunk?" Is it: "relaxed," "slightly tipsy," "boisterous and annoying," "sick, word-slurring New Years reveler," "AA meeting anyone?" or "sleeping bum who's getting his pocket picked without even noticing?"

"boisterous and annoying" and beyond...

The moment I began to feel "slightly tipsy", I would stop. But just to be safe, I wouldn't have more than one or two drinks.

Upvote 0

lared

May 27, 2002
Visit site
✟1,291.00
An establishment that sells liquor cannot control to what extent a person may drink, anymore then can a buffet control to what extent a person may eat.

Would a buffet restaraunt be guilty of gluttony?

Would a Wal-Mart that sells guns or kitchen cutlery be guilty of a crime performed by a wicked person?

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by humblejoe
Actually, I find it rather insulting that you would qualify me as a drunkard for approving of the moderate use of alcohol.

No where did I call YOU a drunkard - rather I was referring to those who drink alcohol to become drunk.  Drunkenness should unquestionably be accepted among as a sin, Romans 13:13; Galatians 5:19-21, 1 Peter 4:3.  This is the point that I was referring to - and this is a sin.  All sin is an abomination in the eyes of God and equal in standing (expect for blasphemy against the Holy Spirit).  So in God's eyes drunkenness, a sin, is just as bad as fornication or adultery, both sins, which all lead to death. 

But what can I say? They did the same thing to Christ.

I know this isn't your intent, but you aren't the Son of God and you aren't in the same situation that He was in - I was not trying to denounce your diety based upon anything that I have presented.  I know that there was obviously some misunderstanding with my post - but I personally don't like the comparison that you just made with me, purposefully, to the Pharisees, who when presented with the Truth blindly turned away.

And I honestly can't see any parallel between moderate alcohol consumption and prostitution. Sex with someone that is not your wife is adulterous, detestable sin. An occasional drink with family or friends is celebratory fellowship.

Moderate use was the topic in question.  The topic in question was drunkenness, which is a sin, which is detestable before God, which, as the Bible teaches, can lead to death. 

Although I do not condone the moderate use of alcohol in any situation other than in medicinal use, the topic I was discussing was not moderate use, but rather drunkenness. 

I will post my question again, what do you all think of those who sell alcohol (thereby approving of the sin) to someone who is intending to get drunk (the sin)? 

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by lared
An establishment that sells liquor cannot control to what extent a person may drink, anymore then can a buffet control to what extent a person may eat.

Would a buffet restaraunt be guilty of gluttony?

Would a Wal-Mart that sells guns or kitchen cutlery be guilty of a crime performed by a wicked person?

It really all comes down to why the establishment sells things.  Wal-Mart sells guns so that you may hunt or compete, kitchen cutlery is used for the purpose of preparing and eating food.

Do you honestly think that a liquor store sells a keg to someone of college age thinking that they're going to go back to their apartment for a night of relaxation and contemplation over their coursework and the mysteries of life?

A buffet cannot be realistically compared to a liquor store, its a skewed analogy - but I'll make an attempt to work with it.  A buffet restaurant makes more money with the less that you eat, and they will ask you to leave.  If you walk into a liquor store and buy 10 gallons of Everclear, do you think that they're going to ask you to leave and not make that purchase?

The bottom line comes down to where your responsibilities as a Christian lie.  You are to love your brother, and in that love, a love of dedication and service, you should want to keep them from all sin.  This doesn't mean that you would have to baby sit them 24 hours a day, that's not your responsibility, they have free will to make their own choices.  It does mean though that you have to help where you can - would you sell them liquor with the realistic impression that they were going to use it for sin?

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Susan
My definition would be "noticing any effect at all."

I find it interesting that you said that.  Did you know that studies have found that after a single drink your driving and reasoning abilities are impared?  I believe that since studies have deduced this that quantifies as some sort of effect.  A single drink affects you.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Aggie, I didn't mean to call you a Pharisee, I was responding out of feeling insulted, and I apologize.

Let me show you what I found insulting and why...

But is it profitable? The Bible tells us that all things that are lawful are not always profitable, and therefore, logically, if it is not profitable why should we do them?

What you are saying here is that since you find alcohol to not be "profitable", then we shouldn't drink it at all. What I interpreted this to mean was that alcohol is not profitable because it can only lead to sin and drunkeness. This is not true. And I felt as though you were qualifying me as a drunkard because I approve of moderate alcohol consumption.

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I find it interesting that you said that. Did you know that studies have found that after a single drink your driving and reasoning abilities are impared? I believe that since studies have deduced this that quantifies as some sort of effect. A single drink affects you.

AMEN. Drunkenness of any degree is a sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't like to try to "prevent" people from sinning, because learned helplessness can be crippling.

Yes, a single drink "affects" you. The affect is not necessarily a bad one. If I take ibuprofen, it "affects" me. If I take four of them because I'm in pain, that affects me a lot, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I think some people should probably avoid alcohol. It doesn't seem to be a problem for me, and indeed, I can't even manage to bring myself to drink the occasional glasses of red wine that are supposed to be good for your health. I don't feel it's sinful or anything; I just don't like alcohol that much.

I will confess to a great fondness for hot chocolate with irish creme and kahlua in it, but even then, the closest I get to "drunk" is generally "a little tipsy", and I sit around and relax for a while... and on the whole, it seems to do me a world of good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by Gerry
What does your heart tell you?

Does it harm your body which is the Temple of the Holy Spirit if you are a Christian?

Does it edify?

Does it cause a brother to stumble?

Is it a good witness and testimony to non Christians?

If Jesus came to your house and sat on the sofa, would you offer Him a drink and a joint?

These are questions you must let your conscience answer.

Awsome reply, Gerry! :clap:

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He might say something like "may your beer perish with you" and then you would die. Course that's the outside possibility but it would not be worth the risk.

I believe that drinking and pot smoking are both wrong. They cause you to do really stupid things: like I've seen an evolutionist on pot arguing with LouisBooth in the Science, Creation, and Evolution forum. . .lol. . .nothing the evolutionist says makes sense.

Upvote 0

SystemOfADOWN

unplugged
Aug 13, 2003
pittsburgh
✟15,319.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Getting drunk is one thing, but smoking pot is a whole nother ballgame.

For the lady who said "i know other herbs that can kill you, wanna bite?" or whatever, i must say that was the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my lifetime. I'm not even going to argue that because we all aren't that stupid to go smoke poisionous cactus or whatever. big difference.

smoking pot where i used to live was legal, so for the lady who said it was illegal, nope, youre wrong, its legal, and i've done it. so it really doesn't go against your version of the 10 commandments.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.