How does God feel about those who drink alcohol or smoke marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The use of marijuana, for medical reasons can be justified. So can the use of curare - and heroin or its derivatives come to that. However, these are not in the same class as alcohol - they have benefit, at times, when things have gone horribly wrong. In all ordinary circumstances, their use is harmful.

Alcohol can be consumed in moderation and have positive benefits for a healthy person. Marijuana cannot - long term moderate use results in psychological damage. Tobacco cannot - even chewing tobacco has associated health problems. Consumption of alcohol is only detrimental if it is excessive - though it is kind of easy to achieve excessive levels.

Upvote 0

mambutuu

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
✟317.00
Drinking is not a sin, getting drunk is.

Frinking customs are different in various countries and cultures. For those of northern European heritage, we tend to drink to get drunk. Forgive me if I generalize, but I have lived in southern Europe and the way they drink down there is a bit differnt. It is not to get drunk, it is to relax and have fun and is often done in a family context. Drinking is allowed in your automobile, on the streets, and at the age of 16. NOw I a mnot advocating that we do that in America because I think it would cause chaos. In our culture, alcohol consumption is done in a differnt way and with a different attitude than in mediterranean countries.

As for marijuana, I think the main reason to avoid it is because it is illegal.

I haven't smoked it since Sept. 1, 1994 when an elder brother in christ counseled me to stop. Frankly, there are times when I miss it. It feels very good.

There were times when I was on it when I felt like I was hearing things from demons. That was the only scary part. Unbelievers disregard this but Christians should listen to me. I feel that psychedelic drugs open you up to suggestions from demons. I have also taken LSD, but never did I feel as connected to evil spirits as when I was on marijuana.

I haven't done any illegal drugs since then, mainly because I stopped hanging out with people who do. If you are wrestling with a bad social habit, it really is essential to dissassociate yourself from others who would lead you to temptation.

Upvote 0

9-iron

Football Fan
Jun 14, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟4,518.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
LOL, I am amazed at all of us who will debate whether we as Christians should be drinking when most of us will go to an all-you-can-eat buffet and eat enormous amount of high fat and high calorie foods to the point where it is unhealthy for us. Not only that, but after we are stuffed we head to the dessert bar for an additional dose of high sugary foods to compound the problem. We totally stuff ourselves..why is drinking such a big debate, but the sin of GLUTTONY is overlooked!!!!!! :scratch:

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"As for marijuana, I think the main reason to avoid it is because it is illegal. "

why do you think getting drunk is wrong? maybe because you're not yourself? Same thing happens when you smoke a joint. *rolls eyes*

"sin of GLUTTONY is overlooked"

Umm...well if you wanna start a thread? Who said it was overlooked? If I'm talking about the terrorism thread and you run in and say....you're not talking about the nuclear war threat so you don't think its important..you're overlooking it..I'd say, no, I was talking about a different subject. Think about it.

Upvote 0

9-iron

Football Fan
Jun 14, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟4,518.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
sin of GLUTTONY is overlooked"

Umm...well if you wanna start a thread? Who said it was overlooked? If I'm talking about the terrorism thread and you run in and say....you're not talking about the nuclear war threat so you don't think its important..you're overlooking it..I'd say, no, I was talking about a different subject. Think about it.

I wasn't using that as an arguement on if drinking is okay or not., I have learned NOT to go there. I was just making a natural observation and thought I would share it. I am sorry you did not see the irony in that. Picture a Christian who is 50 lbs. overweight due to bad eating habits and habitually committing the sin of gluttony, neglecting to take proper care of themselves. This person going around pointing the finger at others who may occasionally take a glass a of wine with a meal, or consume a alcoholic beverage every so often. No need to start a new thread. I was say some irony there!!!!, there seems to be a much larger number of Christians who call FOUL on the drinking issue while living a life under the sin of gluttony...

Upvote 0
Sorry Julie you're wrong.

God, The Lord Jesus Christ says: Proverbs 20:1
Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Key words: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

I drink beer occasionally and have no problems at all.

Drinking makes one to forget the law.
Drinking makes one pervert judgement.
Drinking causes one to fail to protect the afflicted.

After one beer in all cases? Irrational thinking there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before we pass judgement on this topic with what we think, it might be wise to see what the Bible has to say about the topic. (***NOTE: If you are unfamiliar with the Greek text that comprises the New Testament, I suggest that you get an expositional dictionary, because the Greek words do not necessarily always translate correctly into English, and as a result many misunderstandings of the scriptures arise *** A little knowledge about Greek culture and means of living is necessary as well ***)

Where do you all think that the Bible gives us the authority to consume alcoholic beverages? This isn't a what you think or feel question - but what does the Bible say?

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by aggie03
Before we pass judgement on this topic with what we think, it might be wise to see what the Bible has to say about the topic. (***NOTE: If you are unfamiliar with the Greek text that comprises the New Testament, I suggest that you get an expositional dictionary, because the Greek words do not necessarily always translate correctly into English, and as a result many misunderstandings of the scriptures arise *** A little knowledge about Greek culture and means of living is necessary as well ***)

Where do you all think that the Bible gives us the authority to consume alcoholic beverages? This isn't a what you think or feel question - but what does the Bible say?

Well the Bible says this:

Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is intoxicated by it is not wise. - Proverbs 20:1, NASB, bolding mine

This scripture establishes two facts: 1) it proves that the wine they drank was alcoholic, 2) it condemns intoxication, not consumption.

Now aggie, if you're not satisified, show me an English translation of the Greek that is MORE accurate than the NASB.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by humblejoe

Well the Bible says this:

Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is intoxicated by it is not wise. - Proverbs 20:1, NASB, bolding mine

The passage that you've quoted was written in ancient Hebrew, and the wine that is discussed in this passage is wine that contains alcohol.  That much is correct. 

This scripture establishes two facts: 1) it proves that the wine they drank was alcoholic

The Scripture doesn't establish that all the wine that they drank was alcoholic.  In the Greek text that composes the New Testament there are a few words that are used for wine.  One of them is the word for "new wine", or grape juice.  It's called new wine because it hasn't soured and hasn't fermented.  It's new.  This alone establishes the fact that not all of the wine at the time contained alcohol. 

it condemns intoxication, not consumption.

It does condemn intoxication, I'm glad that we agree on that - but it does also condemn consumption (there are of course conditions).  Christ never partook of any wine other than "new wine", or grape juice, and vinegar - both of which have no alcohol.  If we are to be imitators of Christ and He never consumed any alcohol, that should be justification enough for our not doing so. 

Even still, in 1 Peter it is written:

"so as to live the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for the lusts of men, but for the will of God. For the time already past is sufficient for you to have carried out the desire of the Gentiles, having pursued a course of sensuality, lusts, drunkenness, carousing, drinking parties and abominable idolatries."

-- 1 Peter 4:2,3

Corousing can be defined as social drinking.  Drinking parties are also listed.  This would be the Bible saying, explicitly rather than by example, that we should not consume alcohol.  There are other verses as well:

"Let us behave properly as in the day, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual promiscuity and sensuality, not in strife and jealousy.

-- Romans 13:13

"For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.  But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.  Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God."

-- Galatians 5:17-21

This verse from Galatians tells us that the desires of the flesh are set against the desires of the Spirit - carousing is listed here as a desire of the flesh.  This verse also says that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God - this is the Bible again condemning consumption expilicitly, ratherthan by example. 

Now aggie, if you're not satisified, show me an English translation of the Greek that is MORE accurate than the NASB.

So now there are examples and direct commands against consuming alcohol.  All these quotations are also from the NASB - but just because we have a fairly accurate English translation doesn't mean that we can throw away the original Greek and Hebrew manuscripts.  

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.