How does God direct you to a certain verse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear so many people say that God lead them to a certain part of scripture to help them with things. For example, after the 9-11 attacks, many people felt God led them to certain areas of the Bible to read for comfort.

Here is my question:
How did He lead you? Were you sitting there and all of a sudden that verse pops in your head? (the address of it). Or were you flipping through the Bible and you just stopped at that certain verse?

I am not very familiar with the Bible. I have read NT through once, and I am recently back in church and Bible Study. So I do not have much scripture memorized. How in the world would God lead someone like me to a certain verse, at least until I have more understanding of the Bible as a whole. Which leads me to an entirely different question regarding understanding the Bible. I'll save that for later though. ;)

Thanks to you all!

FOMWatts<><

Follower of the Way
Jan 6, 2002
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟15,970.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I recently answered this same question for a close friend of mine, but before I answer it for you...CONGRATS on getting back into church and Bible study. I pray that you find it a blessing and a helping hand in your life.

God leads people to scripture when they are abiding with Him. This pretty much means hanging out with God and it is a lifestyle. It means letting Him be the lord of your life and if you do this He will guide you not only to verses but also in other ways. It takes no special place as far as where you stand but it takes a special attitude of worship and brokeness and a desire for God's help in whatever you are seeking advice on.

Bible Study is the best answer I can offer to you for, in my opinion, it is the only answer. This is how we get to know God better by prayer and the study of His word to us. By studying His word He shows you things that you need at this point in your life. Sometimes you will read something and not even understand it, but later on in the week it will hit you and you will be filled with joy and understanding and also full of hope that God has instilled in you.

Good luck on your journey on this earth and I hope to see you in Heaven!

<>< Proverbs 16:9

Upvote 0

cherubim

Very Cool Chick
Nov 26, 2001
Visit site
✟287.00
I second what FOMWatts<>< said. Bible study is the best way to know God and to hear from Him.

A couple of years ago, I made a commitment to really read His word consistently, like everyday. Cos it can be hard sometimes to have a daily quiet time with God. And I found that as I committed and stuck to it, God honoured that and began "showing up" in my various readings of His word. So Stephanie, keep on reading His word. The Bible study that you are attending is the best place to start.

God bless you on your journey in getting to know Him better. Ask God to draw you closer to Him and He will answer.

Upvote 0
Here is a great tip: get the Bible on casset or CD and listen to it in you car. You will not believe how great it sounds.

As for me, God brings verses to mind when I need them. I don't know how it starts it's just there. Never a verse I havn't read so I have to do my part. God word is like a living thing. A virus living in us. But a good virus. It directs how I treat and teach my kids, how I do my job, and all that.
Heb 4:12
12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
(NIV)

Upvote 0
Steph,
As all have said in their messages, you have to be IN the Word to be lead by it. I have found as I go along, that I will read something, and sometimes it doesn't really hit home. Sometimes it doesn't even make sense at all, and then I'll be doing something a week late, or a month later, and then BOOM it just comes to you when you need it. And I've found it rather interesting that I will pick a passage of scripture to study, and the pastor or Bible study leader will teach from that passage at the next meeting. I just pray for understanding and knowlege before I read, then it comes eventually. Not always right at the moment, but in His time, when I need it most :)

~N~

Upvote 0
Ohhhhhh.......so I have to actually READ my Bible? ;) That was a bad joke
Thanks so much for the advice. Now when I think about it, there have been many times for me as well that i have read something during my quiet time, and then the next week the preacher talks about it in Sunday school!
Once, I held Bible study at my house, and we started talking about a subject (which I think I am going to post a thread about because it is interesting) and it was a pretty hot topic. Anyway, the following Sunday, what did we talk about in Sunday school?? Yep, same topic. We even told the pastor about it after church. He was not surprised. So I see how it works. I guess God does talk to me frequently when I am in His word. I just don't listen! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.