How Does Calvary Chapel Keep Its Leaders Accountable?

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Greeting members of CC,

Last weekend I attended a Calvary Chapel affiliated church in my area and I was very impressed with the doctrine and biblical things that were taught. Something that disturbed me greatly though about CC was that there doesn't seem to be any balance of power between the congregants and the Pastor. I find it incredibly dangerous that the Pastor has complete authoritarian control over the church without any input from the congregation in terms of how things are run. Perhaps I have just misunderstood but I do have two questions for people in this forum. 1. How are Pastors held accountable in the CCC and what measures are taken if a Pastor goes rouge? 2. What are the powers and responsibilities of the congregants and do they have a say so at all in the direction of the church such as finances, Bible studies, evangelism, etc.

• Winner
Reactions: Second Coming

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to be a member of a CC back in the 90s, so my information is likely dated and probably incomplete.

But what I saw was that our pastor had input from congregational elders and accountability to other CC pastors and mentors. There was also nothing preventing congregational elders from communicating with those other CC pastors.

I've been a member of congregations where the elder board merely hired pastors--in other words, the pastor was absolutely accountable to the membership--and that can go 'way off the rails as well.

Upvote 0

DaDad

Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2017
Southwest
✟85,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... there doesn't seem to be any balance of power between the congregants and the Pastor. I find it incredibly dangerous that the Pastor has complete authoritarian control over the church without any input from the congregation in terms of how things are run. ...
Puhhhhhhhh, yeah speak it! Accountability, authority, responsibility? Good luck in ANY "church". They don't call the Seminary, "Cemetery" without good reason. It's how virtually every "church" is structured, and why Jesus warned us of the "hireling". 1 Cor. 14 provides HOW the Church is supposed to be run:

1 Cor. 14:26 What then, brethren? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 27 If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn; and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silence in church and speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said. 30 If a revelation is made to another sitting by, let the first be silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged;

Who in their right mind would pay good money for a gym membership where you watch the "trainer" demonstrate all the exercise equipment and techniques, and then go home weaker than when you came?!?

And we wonder why there will be a "great falling away" when persecution comes to the "church", -- which by the way is only ~2 1/2 years* away and will last ~6 months* until Jesus return, with another ~6 months* until Jesus is able to fully reestablish government and commercial services.
* My best estimate given the J.R. Church "Hidden Prophecies In The Psalms" premise.​

Good Luck,
DaDd

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

Second Coming

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
✟10,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something even more disturbing is how infrequently Calvary partakes in the Eucharist.

But yes these Pastors operate their churches as if they are the CEO of a corporation. They do usually have a board of elders though.

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Something even more disturbing is how infrequently Calvary partakes in the Eucharist.

But yes these Pastors operate their churches as if they are the CEO of a corporation. They do usually have a board of elders though.
Yikes! I'm sorry to say this but I will be avoiding CC churches for the time being. Its a darn shame because I love their theology

• Friendly
Upvote 0

DaDad

Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2017
Southwest
✟85,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... these Pastors operate their churches as if they are the CEO of a corporation ...

Hi SC,
It seems to me that some ~80% of "pastors" have one overriding concern, -- their continued paychecks. But as proposed, even a responsible pastor still conducts church services in contradiction with 1 Cor 14:26-31. So although the motives may be different, the results are often still the same, ... and the TRUE Church suffers for it.

Thanks,
DaDad

Upvote 0

Second Coming

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
✟10,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yikes! I'm sorry to say this but I will be avoiding CC churches for the time being. Its a darn shame because I love their theology

They also believe in the pretrib rapture theory which is a hoax.

Overall Calvary is a solid church but I recommend the LCMS over Calvary.

LCMS.org

Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

ItIsFinished!

Jesus Christ is our only hope.
Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They also believe in the pretrib rapture theory which is a hoax.

Overall Calvary is a solid church but I recommend the LCMS over Calvary.

LCMS.org
Pre-trib is a hoax in your opinion.
Although the Word of God teaches a removal of the Bride (Church) .
Not to be confused with The Second Coming of Christ like many do.
Two different and distinct events.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Second Coming

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
✟10,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pre-trib is a hoax in your opinion.
Although the Word of God teaches a removal of the Bride (Church) .
Not to be confused with The Second Coming of Christ like many do.
Two different and distinct events.

No. There’s only one second coming at the end of the age. Christ doesn’t return twice.

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

ItIsFinished!

Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No. There’s only one second coming at the end of the age. Christ doesn’t return twice.
No one stated that He would come twice.
The removal of the Bride (Church) Christ doesn't come back.
We (dead in Christ since Pentacost) and all present believers meet Him in the air/clouds.
At The Second Coming of Christ (we come back with Him) and He literally sets foot upon the Mount of Olives.
Quite and distinctively different events.
100% all Scriptural.
I do not know of what hoax you speak of.

Upvote 0

ItIsFinished!

Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

DaDad

Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2017
Southwest
✟85,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They also believe in the pretrib rapture theory which is a hoax. ...
Excellent! Now, saying this, please be aware that there is no "seven-year-tribulation". Rev. 13:5 says 42 months. The "seven-year" premise is based upon a false rendering of the Daniel 9 "seventy-weeks" which have NOTHING to do with the Tribulation, except that the destroyer "shall come" after the seventy-periods-of-time.
Thanks,
DaDad

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Second Coming

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
✟10,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one stated that He would come twice.
The removal of the Bride (Church) Christ doesn't come back.
We (dead in Christ since Pentacost) and all present believers meet Him in the air/clouds.
At The Second Coming of Christ (we come back with Him) and He literally sets foot upon the Mount of Olives.
Quite and distinctively different events.
100% all Scriptural.
I do not know of what hoax you speak of.

The pretrib rapture theory is a hoax perpetuated by John Nelson Darby. It was never taught in the church prior to the left behind series popularizing the idea.

Upvote 0

ItIsFinished!

Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The pretrib rapture theory is a hoax perpetuated by John Nelson Darby. It was never taught in the church prior to the left behind series popularizing the idea.
Wrong.
The Scriptures teach it as well as the EC fathers.
Spare us the Darby dribble.

Upvote 0