How does a person receive the Holy Spirit?

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that one can be empowered for holy living but not empowered for ministry? I've heard people who distinguish between being baptized with the Spirit and with fire. Is this what you have in mind?

We are empowered by the indwelling Holy Spirit when we are born again. In fact the indwelling presence is a combination of seven attributes according to Isaiah 11. These 'seven Spirits of God' are also referenced in Revelation.
We have seriously under estimated the potential impact of this truth on our lives.

When we are ready for the empowerment for ministry, we receive the permanent anointing of the Holy Spirit upon our lives as Jesus did. He already had the Holy Spirit within.

Your reference to the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and Fire - I am inclined to see this as reference to sharing in the sufferings of Jesus - ministering in His power brings persecution.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I was baptized by a baptist preacher he actually put his hands on me when he dunked me in the water and baptized me in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit? Does that count?
Romans 8.9 indicates that all true believers are indwelt by the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You need to justify why you disagree to be anywhere near convincing for me. Just because you say you disagree doesn't automatically prove that you are right. All I learn from your comment is that you disagree. Great. That is your personal choice.

I thought it would be quite obvious, none of it is in scripture...
Flesh can NOT inherit the Kingdom. 1 Corinthians 15:50 explains it. There are 2 births and 2 deaths. Do you know what they are?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are 2 births and 2 deaths. Do you know what they are?
Is it being born at birth as a baby and then being born again as a 'born again Christian?' And then physical death of the death, and then the spiritual 'second death' for the unsaved after judgement day?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Please give examples from the bible of people receiving the Holy Spirit. Preferably the new testament.

In the 2nd chapter of the Acts the Apostle St. Peter, under the power of the Holy Spirit Himself, says, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself." God has attached the promise of the Holy Spirit to this holy and precious Sacrament of Holy Baptism. Elsewhere we see that the Apostles laid on hands and the Holy Spirit was given, it is from this laying on of hands that the rite of Chrismation comes from.

We also read in St. Paul's letter to the Ephesians,

"In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory." (Ephesians 1:13-14)

Lutherans therefore place the locus of God's work upon His Word and Sacraments; the Means of Grace, whereby God works and acts and delivers to us that which He has promised.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: panman
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Is it being born at birth as a baby and then being born again as a 'born again Christian?' And then physical death of the death, and then the spiritual 'second death' for the unsaved after judgement day?

3 out of 4 :) physical birth...physical death...spiritual birth...spiritual death (hopefully no believer will participate in this death)

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
3 out of 4 :) physical birth...physical death...spiritual birth...spiritual death (hopefully no believer will participate in this death)
When does spiritual birth happen? Is that somehow different than being 'born again Christian?'

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
When does spiritual birth happen? Is that somehow different than being 'born again Christian?'

"Born again Christian" is a protestant term. It has nothing to do with what I am saying. Paul understands that flesh can NOT inherit the Kingdom. 1 Corinthians 15:50 and John 3:5-8

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: panman
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Born again Christian" is a protestant term. It has nothing to do with what I am saying. Paul understands that flesh can NOT inherit the Kingdom. 1 Corinthians 15:50 and John 3:5-8
So when can or does the second birth, or the 'spiritual birth' happen?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So when can or does the second birth, or the 'spiritual birth' happen?

When does Yeshua, John and Shaul say it does? Can flesh inherit the kingdom?

Flesh gives birth to flesh, but spirit gives birth to spirit......born, NOT of blood, nor of the will of flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So you are saying the spiritual birth is after our death? We will be given a raised spiritual body? When Jesus said we must be born again, that was a reference to a point in time after our bodily death, since flesh can't inherit the kingdom?

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The disciples living in an upper room after the ascension is not the same as the later assembly during the day of Pentecost where a large number of people were assembled in one place. The air was filled with the sound of a rushing wind from the sky and then there was the visitation of the Holy Spirit.

Check your Bible for accuracy.

I never said it was! Why you think I thought that is a mystery to me, for I know the last supper upper room and Acts 2 upper room had different numbers of believers!

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes it is inspired but what YOU say it means is NOT what He means. And just as we have borne the likeness of the earthly man, so also shall we bear the likeness of the heavenly man. Flesh can NOT inherit the Kingdom. 1 Corinthians 15:50 explains it. There are 2 births and 2 deaths. Do you know what they are?

Well which of the two sentences I wrote is not what He means. I quoted SCripture and said those born fo the flesh are flesh and those born of the spirit are spirit. And we are born of the spirit the moment we trust in the death and physical resurrection of Jesus for the full payment of all our sins !

Well the two deaths for the saved man are- death of the old man who God declares dead the moment upon receiving the Holy Spirit and physical death.

The 2 deaths of the unsaved man are: physical death and then the eternal suffering in the lake of fire!

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,296.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How to receive? Asks

There's a doctrine of baptisms,..." (Heb 6:2) There's 3 baptisms; specifically:

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus is the baptism for salvation (blood baptism)
(Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4, 16:16; Luk 3:3, Acts 2:38: Gal 3:27, +++)
Also, "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise," Eph 1:13 Baptizied into Christ's body (I Cor 12:13)

Water and Spirit baptism follows - not in a set order or time criteria:
2 - By another believer (water baptism) (Matt 28:19++++!)
3 - By Jesus with or into The Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism)
(Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; Acts 11:16++++)' "...as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ." Gal 3:27 Receive power and boldness to proclaim the gospel Acts 1 and 4

"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums