How does “the world” see Christians.

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
At the last supper, Jesus said this is how all men will know you are my disciples: by the love you show one another.

Be honest.
Choose one word that comes to mind, and explain the problem, and offer a solution.

I’ll even start.
There is a huge log in many Christians’ eyes, which is the complete lack of love. Being yelled at that I’m going to hell unless I follow their version of Christianity is not love. So, not fooling anyone, it is rebranded as “tough love,” which means being agressive, calling someone names, being harsh, then daring to claim that is how Jesus preached. It isn’t. And some even refer to kindness and mercy as mamby-pamby religion that holds people’s hand all the way to hell, negating most of the Gospell, except interactions with religious leaders.

Solution: don’t yell threats on a street corner, but get to know people first. Stop demonizing GLBTQ people as “the other”, usually as prefators for your children, and recognize them as your neighbor. And before you quote “if the world hates me, they hated Jesus, too” thinking you ate doing something right. realize, more often than not, people hate you because you are an awful person.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It looks like seeing the leaves on the tree, not seeing what Jesus said, then explaining how to change the leaves on the tree, without making a difference other than that.

On earth, everyone is an awful person - that is "sons of disobedience" as written in Ephesians 2,
UNTIL they get redeemed.
The description from Jesus , and throughout the Epistles, of what the disciples will "look like" to others,
is important - it is actually several good tests/ ways to verify as the Bible says... but verifying that the leaves on the tree do not match what the Bible says, then thinking that changing the leaves will help, seems to be a mistake of vital importance.

It is exactly as Jesus Says - concerning the students of Jesus - "they will be known" exactly as Jesus says. Getting people TO DO some things so that they LOOK LIKE what Jesus said, does not change their nature.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,106.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So, not fooling anyone, it is rebranded as “tough love,” which means being agressive, calling someone names, being harsh, then daring to claim that is how Jesus preached. It isn’t.
Tough love is putting responsibility ahead of rights. Consequences. People often confuse rudeness with all sorts of things like tough love in order to self justify. From the leader on down a nation is often defined by it's rudeness. It is what it is.

Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Often in Scripture, the righteous followers of the book , rebuked one another, as needed, with good results when the one rebuked repented and then did what was right instead of continuing to be wrong.

"Open rebuke" is better than "hidden (quiet) love".

Love that hides the proper edification or discipline or even scourging, because of feelings or emotions (or maybe for any reason), is not God's Love and not as good as open correction properly done.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Stop demonizing GLBTQ people as “the other”, usually as prefators for your children, and recognize them as your neighbor.
It seems we cannot avoid them - as Scripture says we cannot avoid the sinners/ adulterers / idolators
because that would require avoiding everyone practically in society.
We also cannot accept their sin as okay - in any case of sin described in the Bible. If anyone claims to be a believer, and continues to be a thief, adulterer or pervert, there is a way / procedure to follow , given in Scripture. This is as God has directed to be.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am following the instructions the OP has given so I am not replying to what the OP was speaking of
after giving those instructions.

The word that comes to mind is Grace. Not a problem but a solution.

The problem is everyone keeps trying to stuff that camel through the eye of a needle and we all know it will never fit through no matter how hard we push.

Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I am following the instructions the OP has given so I am not replying to what the OP was speaking of
after giving those instructions.

The word that comes to mind is Grace. Not a problem but a solution.

The problem is everyone keeps trying to stuff that camel through the eye of a needle and we all know it will never fit through no matter how hard we push.
Can man do that ? (get the camel thru the eye of the needle;
.............................or the alternative rendering
.............................get the thick rope thru the eye of the needle)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Right, do not judge without having the mind of Christ. We must wait on Him, as God Says, as God reveals it. As He does as described in Scripture. . . .

Revelation 22:11 - CJB - "Whoever keeps acting wickedly,...
Revelation 22:11 - CJB -
Whoever is evil must go on doing evil, and whoever is filthy must go on being filthy; whoever is good must go on doing good, and whoever is holy must go on being holy.>> Holman Christian Standard Let the unrighteous go on in unrighteousness; let the filthy go on being made filthy; let the righteous go on in righteousness; and let the holy go on being made holy."

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
'Everyone' knows this usually:
Matt 9:13 Cross References (37 Verses) - OpenBible.info

https://www.openbible.info › labs › cross-references › search

For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.” ... and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. ... I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.” ...

This is good news. It is a fresh aroma of life to everyone destined for resurrection in Jesus.

• Winner
Reactions: valleygirl
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can man do that ? (get the camel thru the eye of the needle;
.............................or the alternative rendering
.............................get the thick rope thru the eye of the needle)

Nope. that's why we ought not concentrate our efforts in that direction but allow God to do the impossible while we do whatever God gives us the ability to do

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Could 'man' have saved this man >>>
(a part of a post a former atheist just made) >>>>

"A couple months later I was up in the hills with my dog, just looking at some distant mountains, listening to songs on my headphones,..I think it was about half way thru this gorgeous, heart-felt MercyMe song called Word of God Speak that I just gave up the struggle, the defenses,..and the love of Jesus rushed in to the depths of my dark cave and Found me. I spent hours there, just weeping for Joy, and telling Jesus how thankful I was that He came and rescued me, and how good He was for not giving up on this pitiful, scornful, arrogant, selfish atheist that was my previous self before that moment."

[ HALLELUYAH ! ALL PRAISE TO OUR FATHER IN HEAVEN FOREVER ! THANKS BE TO HIM ! ]

converted from atheism to Christianity this year

• Agree
Reactions: valleygirl
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Could 'man' have saved this man >>>
(a part of a post a former atheist just made) >>>>

"A couple months later I was up in the hills with my dog, just looking at some distant mountains, listening to songs on my headphones,..I think it was about half way thru this gorgeous, heart-felt MercyMe song called Word of God Speak that I just gave up the struggle, the defenses,..and the love of Jesus rushed in to the depths of my dark cave and Found me. I spent hours there, just weeping for Joy, and telling Jesus how thankful I was that He came and rescued me, and how good He was for not giving up on this pitiful, scornful, arrogant, selfish atheist that was my previous self before that moment."

[ HALLELUYAH ! ALL PRAISE TO OUR FATHER IN HEAVEN FOREVER ! THANKS BE TO HIM ! ]

converted from atheism to Christianity this year
Amen to that.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Nope. that's why we ought not concentrate our efforts in that direction but allow God to do the impossible while we do whatever God gives us the ability to do
Well, He gave us so much ability to do things, how do we know WHAT to do ? Martha had the 'ability' to wash dishes all day long, until she got too tired I guess... but Jesus told her MARY chose what is good, "sit at Jesus feet, and listen to Jesus" ....

The world often sees 'christians' working working working like Martha at things they have the ability to do....
instead of seeing Christians who abide with Jesus, follow Jesus , sit at Jesus' feet daily listening to Him, THEN DO what the Father says to do that day....

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, He gave us so much ability to do things, how do we know WHAT to do ? Martha had the 'ability' to wash dishes all day long, until she got too tired I guess... but Jesus told her MARY chose what is good, "sit at Jesus feet, and listen to Jesus" ....

God calls. We need to listen. Then we will know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At the last supper, Jesus said this is how all men will know you are my disciples: by the love you show one another.

Be honest.
Choose one word that comes to mind, and explain the problem, and offer a solution.

I’ll even start.
There is a huge log in many Christians’ eyes, which is the complete lack of love. Being yelled at that I’m going to hell unless I follow their version of Christianity is not love. So, not fooling anyone, it is rebranded as “tough love,” which means being agressive, calling someone names, being harsh, then daring to claim that is how Jesus preached. It isn’t. And some even refer to kindness and mercy as mamby-pamby religion that holds people’s hand all the way to hell, negating most of the Gospell, except interactions with religious leaders.

Solution: don’t yell threats on a street corner, but get to know people first. Stop demonizing GLBTQ people as “the other”, usually as prefators for your children, and recognize them as your neighbor. And before you quote “if the world hates me, they hated Jesus, too” thinking you ate doing something right. realize, more often than not, people hate you because you are an awful person.

...but some (a few) of my fellow Christians ARE rather mamby-pamby, I hate to say. :dontcare:

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
R U SURE ?
Namby-pamby | Definition of Namby-pamby by Merriam-Webster
Definition of NAMBY-PAMBY
Before long, namby-pamby was being applied to any piece of writing that was insipidly precious, simple, or sentimental, and later to anyone considered pathetically weak or indecisive. First Known Use of namby-pamby

Urban Dictionary: mamby pamby
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mamby pamby
mamby pamby. A description of a person who engages in acts of cowardace, shyness, or stupidity. Riley, you're such a mamby pamby for not going to Mardi Gras with us. Joe was playing 12 year olds in the ball pit at Chucky Cheeses and loving it, and he's 26 years old for God sakes. What a mamby pamby.

Namby-pamby - Wikipedia
Namby-pamby - Wikipedia
Namby Pamby is a term for affected, weak, and maudlin speech/verse. It originates from Namby Pamby (1725) by Henry Carey . Carey wrote his poem as a satire of Ambrose Philips and published it in his Poems on Several Occasions .

Namby-pamby - definition of namby-pamby by The Free Dictionary
namby-pamby
Pamby was made to rhyme with Namby by using the initial of Philips's surname. Pope then used the name in the 1729 edition of his satirical epic The Dunciad. After being popularized by Pope, namby-pamby went on to be used generally for people or things that are sentimental or weak. American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language,...

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Stop demonizing GLBTQ people as “the other”, usually as prefators for your children
Is truth a defense in this? If somebody with data to support them refuses to allow the LGBT near their families, is that being "unloving" or is it wisely exercising caution?

I ask because the data in support of this does exist.

• Prayers
Reactions: Shemjaza
Upvote 0