• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

How do you use metaphysics to get closer to God?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by rturner76, Sep 18, 2019.

1. rturner76

rturner76 Senior Veteran Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,432
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I read about a pretty significant difference between West and East on this. I read that RCC teaches we cannot fully experience God while still in the flesh. We must pass away to be with him. I also read that through metaphysics, which the EO emphasizes and Rome doesn't, it is possible for some to experience God's presence while still in the flesh. Very few have been able to do it but I believe the practice would bring us closer to God even if most of us won't experience his presence on Earth.

First of all, is this true? Second I haven't found much information on how to pray or meditate metaphysically or using metaphysics, I'm not sure how to describe the practice.

All of the questions I ask in here are in an effort to truly understand Orthodoxy not just intellectually but spiritually. Right now I feel the most connected to got at Eucharist. The concept of metaphysics I am very curious about because it seems it's another way to physically connect with God.

So is anyone here knowledgeable about metaphysics? What it is and how we use the concept?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+4,583
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    To remember what metaphysics is, I have to look up the definition most every time. I can't recall at the moment. (Even though at times some understandings can be helpful for people to undo blocks, there is also just prayer as the ultimate way to undo blocks) But, wonderfully, I can best go the right way as I follow what Christ said.

By doing what He said to do through His words to us in the 4 gospels, these things and more will be added to us. His is the way for drawing closer to God (and for opening your heart to God also, by doing the 'greatest commandment' as Christ said it). Then I found out how amazing God's love is. It seems as if this is kind of what I think is the EO way, but put into different words (I'm not in an EO church). Maybe someone can help me learn better the way EO would word that answer. (update) -- there's an EO answer just below in post#4

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  3. Pedra

Pedra Newbie

+535
    Baptist
    Married
    You can't.

4. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+11,832
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    metaphysics doesn't draw folks close to God, prayer and the sacraments do. and we experience God every time we go to Church.

how spectacular that experience is, is another question.

5. ArmyMatt

+11,832
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    the Gospel accounts of the Transfiguration say otherwise.

6. Pedra

Pedra Newbie

+535
    Baptist
    Married
    That's the word of God, it's not doing metaphysics to get "closer" to God.
    The Bible is as metaphysical as you can get & points to GOD. It is God-breathed , it says it is light unto my path, sharper-then a two-edged sword, it is living and active separating bone and marrow and soul and spirit--it even judges the intentions and thoughts of the heart! Hebrews 4:12
    How do get closer to GOD? prayer, worship and studying His word.

7. ArmyMatt

+11,832
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    oh, sorry, I thought you were saying you can't know God still in this life.

gotcha now, nevermind me.

8. JohnTh

JohnTh Newbie

+138
    Greece
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Commandments. Just few of the commandments are the ones above. The most difficult ones are the ones related to our neighbor.....

9. AlexDTX

AlexDTX Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,531
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    The only way to experience closeness to God is believe that Christ's death and resurrection was enough for your salvation, confessing you need for him because of your sin, and asking him to send the Holy Spirit into your heart.

Luk 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? ​

Everything else is irrelevant.

10. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

+1,358
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I am not sure what you are specifically meaning when you use the term "metaphysics".

We will always be drawing closer to God and experiencing Him more profoundly throughout eternity. That begins now, and continues forever. We will never fully experience God, as God is eternal and boundless.

11. rturner76

+1,432
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I think I mentally merged metaphysical awareness with revelation. I was thinking that Orthodox Philosophy says truth is obtained through revelation rather than scholasticism.

Can awareness of the metaphysical aid in revelation?

What I mean by metaphysics is all reality, seen and unseen.

I was reading something about Symeon that said " One of his principal teachings was that humans could and should experience theoria (literally "contemplation," or direct experience of God).

This led me to believe that contemplating the metaphysical universe will help us actually experience God or the energy of God, not only praise and worship him to experience him. I equated that to a physical experience.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  12. David Neos

David Neos Catechumen

+3,649
    Ecuador
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Is this going deeper into a essence/energies topic?

13. ArmyMatt

+11,832
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    it certainly can.

14. Phronema

Phronema Well-Known Member Supporter

+532
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    From what I've read about St. Symeon regarding his experiences with theoria it was a result of what Fr. Matt mentioned above - the sacraments, and prayer.

You may be thinking of Hesychasm, but metaphysics is something different.

15. rturner76

+1,432
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    As you can see, I have completely confused myself doing this kind of self-guided study. I read things from many sources, some academic which may be more focused on some aspect of philosophy which may be a personal interpretation.

Does anyone have some suggestions as to what online sources are credible and useful?

16. rturner76

+1,432
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Here is some of what I was reading:

"Symeon repeatedly describes the experience of divine light in his writings, as both an inward and outward mystical experience. These experiences began in his youth, and continued all during his life. They came to him during inward prayer and contemplation, and were associated with a feeling of indescribable joy, as well as the intellectual understanding that the light was a vision of God."

Wikipedia-Mystical Theology.
    Mystical theology - Wikipedia

17. AMM

AMM A Beggar Supporter

+653
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    I was advised to read some of these when I was entering the Church
    The Orthodox Faith

18. ArmyMatt

+11,832
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    for stuff to read, I say ask your priest.

19. Phronema

Phronema Well-Known Member Supporter

+532
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
  20. Antoni

Antoni Member

+97
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I would recommend the writings of Wolfgang Smith, a Roman Catholic metaphysicist. He delves into the major problems being confronted right now in quantum physics and cosmology and gives a fascinating apology regarding vertical causation and how it is the Christian Saints and mystics who have truly understood the nature of things. For those with an interest in quantum physics and metaphysics, I highly recommend his writings, much which can be found online for free.