Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
just light the wick and start praying then blow it out when im done, is it how its supposed to be used?

...I suppose you could light it. That would be a good start, dreamasamemory. And then say your prayer. However, just keep in mind that the candle is there to give you focus on the light; it's not going to 'add' to the value of your prayers as they go up before God. Your prayers will go up before God with, or without, a candle. But, candle light sure is pretty, isn't it? ;)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
just light the wick and start praying then blow it out when im done, is it how its supposed to be used?

Traditionally, the use of prayer candles is done in churches, and it represents the prayer you said being continued after you stop praying or leave the premises.

It's a nice symbol of the person's seriousness or commitment. Children are sometimes told that angels will repeat the prayer until the candle burns out, although that's not a doctrine. If you want to follow this practice at home, I'd assume that you would let the candle burn until it goes out, and I'd recommend using votive candles--those colored glass things that look like a juice glass, rather than a tall candle which would be much more dangerous if left untended. But you don't have to keep them lit until they burn out.

You can buy bags of them (the candles, that is, not the glass) at a small price. Votive candles, being colored, evoke emotions, too, like stained glass windows do.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

dreamasamemory2002

Aug 22, 2016
somewhere, usa
✟15,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
...I suppose you could light it. That would be a good start, dreamasamemory. And then say your prayer. However, just keep in mind that the candle is there to give you focus on the light; it's not going to 'add' to the value of your prayers as they go up before God. Your prayers will go up before God with, or without, a candle. But, candle light sure is pretty, isn't it? ;)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid
Yes ^^

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't use prayer candles. I just pray. I don't know what benefit having a prayer candle in my home would bring.

I could be wrong, but I think it's an aid to help focus during deeper prayer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That may help some people, but if my eyes are closed and my head is bowed, then I don't know what the benefit would be.

Google says:

A votive candle or prayer candle is a small candle, typically white or beeswax yellow, intended to be burnt as a votive offering in an act of Christian prayer, especially within the Anglican and Roman Catholic Christian denominations, among others.​

So I suppose there is more to it than concentration.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
i was just wondering because i thought about using them

Candles can be used to help focus, to represent peace/shalom; or God's Word, to remember scripture and or represent the relationship between you and the Lord you and your husband(wedding vows)...just some examples that come to mind at this time.

Psalm 119:105
"Your Word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path."

John 3:20
"Everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come into the Light for
fear that his deeds will be exposed."

Psalm 43:3
"O send out Thy light and Thy truth; let them lead me; Let them bring me unto
Thy holy mountain, and to Thy dwelling-places."

• Informative
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The use of candles and incense is scriptural (found both in the Old and the New Testament). Generally, I'll say a prayer and then light a candle. The candle is allowed to burn until it's gone.

Somewhat related- during Pascha (what you call Easter) the priest will come out with one candle in the darkened church and then everyone else's candle will be lit from that one. We'll sing, "Come receive the light from the Light- that is never overtaken by night. And come glorify Christ, Who is risen from the dead."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Very well, but by the same token lighting a candle might do the same thing for the next person, right?
It may. I just don't see how it would necessarily help me in my prayer life. Sounds kind of like the random objects that are given as faith reminders in some Protestant circles.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It may. I just don't see how it would necessarily help me in my prayer life. Sounds kind of like the random objects that are given as faith reminders in some Protestant circles.
You do have a point, but there's nothing questionable about a candle, such as we might think if it were a statue or some other things. And there is symbolism involved. Since Jesus Christ is the light of the world, candle light has long put people in mind of that which, I would assume would be appropriate when a person is praying.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You do have a point, but there's nothing questionable about a candle, such as we might think if it were a statue or some other things. And there is symbolism involved. Since Jesus Christ is the light of the world, candle light has long put people in mind of that which, I would assume would be appropriate when a person is praying.
Right, I don't consider its legitimacy questionable. Just its utility to me.

Upvote 0