How do you think history will remember Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We will not care, because far bigger things will happen within 70 years I think.

If one was still here in a mortal body at that time (if in fact something far bigger doesn't happen first that makes such minor history profoundly trivial....), then the significant Presidents list will still be having the top group of figures like Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and very close next the 2nd tier of notable and influential Presidents like Andrew Jackson, FDR, Teddy Roosevelt, and another step down to a 3rd level with those like Reagan, Obama, Kennedy (*).

If anyone is going to even get up to the level of the 3rd group, they'd have to address deep things in a profound way, as these presidents did, but 70 years is plenty of time for another significant President of course (and plenty of time for something far bigger to happen). :)

----------
(* -- why these seem to matter to me:
Reagan (Berlin Wall Speech),
Obama (America surmounts racial prejudice enough to elect a black president)
Kennedy (the huge changes in the world from the race to the Moon technology boost)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
----------
(* -- why these seem to matter to me:
Reagan (Berlin Wall Speech),
Obama (America surmounts racial prejudice enough to elect a black president)
Kennedy (the huge changes in the world from the race to the Moon technology boost)
Well, Donald is one who was not a politician, yet he got into the White House, without any former political office experience. So, this could be considered an item, in historical study, also in psychological study of how a nation's population can function.

As for history, if the historian is trying to be factual, he or she might say that for pretty much any report there was a group who claimed it and a group who denied it. Plus, there was a major divide of almost half and half the U.S. population concerning President Trump.

Also, he won fewer votes than Hillary, but still was elected by the electoral college. So, this is an interesting fact for studying how the U.S. Constitution can operate.

So, he has a few unusual items which might be historically interesting, whether he is considered a good president or not.

But . . . also . . . when anything makes the news, it seems to me, these days, it will undergo an automatic erase when each next yet-another news item comes along. So, this could more or less happen with President Trump > whenever he comes to the end of his presidency, it is possible that some next news thing will just erase him.

Even at the local level, there will be local items which will be next for attention > someone's dog gets hit by a driver who does not stop, someone gets murdered, a hero pulls a driver out of a car that is sinking in a river, a mall's construction is held up because they find toxic waste under where they want to build. Things like this can instantly erase pretty much anything from attention.

Mr. Kim does some thing, and gets erased by kittens found in a bag by the highway.

On we could go.

Upvote 0

Maria Sweet

Sep 11, 2018
California
✟3,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
A lot of that depends on many factors over the next decade. The massive tax cuts and increased spending usually mean a bad recession is in the near future. How bad it may be will ruin any economic success, if it does occur.

As for the rest, he is the worst President in matters of foreign affairs. His White House staff is in shambles. He is the worst liar to occupy the position. I could go on... but I think that it is clear that I think he will not be remembered fondly by historians.

Good points.

The media was unfair to Reagan during his presidency, but history remembers him as a good president, at least among conservatives. However, I don't think the same thing will happen to Trump. He probably won't be remembered very favorably (assuming he will be remembered much at all), namely because of his inflammatory personality and erratic conduct.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Good points.

The media was unfair to Reagan during his presidency, but history remembers him as a good president, at least among conservatives. However, I don't think the same thing will happen to Trump. He probably won't be remembered very favorably (assuming he will be remembered much at all), namely because of his inflammatory personality and erratic conduct.
Well, Reagan knew how to communicate with people. He was a great speaker who could relate with the common man. He had many political flaws and successes.

Regardless, he was likable and people loved him. Trump, has no chance of attaining that.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, Reagan knew how to communicate with people. He was a great speaker who could relate with the common man. He had many political flaws and successes.

Regardless, he was likable and people loved him. Trump, has no chance of attaining that.

The thing many people noted about Reagan was that he could talk tough in principle, but when it came down to actual people, his basic nature kept him from being abusive toward them. His aides were always worrying that he'd actually meet a welfare mom, and realize the human dimension of poverty.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,216,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
291351_bea506bf77911a43e319cd6831f5c666.png

This thread has undergone a clean do to multiple posts violating the following sitewide rule: Offensive derogatory nicknames and egregious inflammatory comments about public figures may be considered goading.
Please leave off terms such as
stupid, moron, liar, insane etc. We can discuss this subject without using inflammatory rhetoric.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Good points.

Overall, Reagan is listed as slightly better than average. I don't think there's any possibility of Trump getting close to that.

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
James Buchanan, Warren Harding and Andrew Johnson can now all rest peacefully in their graves, secure in the knowledge that they will no longer be considered to be America's worst president!

They lost that distinction in 1977.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Quite obviously, it is impossible to know the answer to the question of the thread based upon his first year and a half in office. That should immediately occur to everyone who reads it. He could turn out to be one of the best...or the worst...or somewhere in between.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Quite obviously, it is impossible to know the answer to the question of the thread based upon his first year and a half in office. That should immediately occur to everyone who reads it. He could turn out to be one of the best...or the worst...or somewhere in between.

There have been people who fumbled around for a year or two before getting the feel of the office.

Don't remember any of them who set up a policy of harming children as young as 2 years old, to achieve a political goal, though.

And no one had so many disasters, fired and resigned underlings, or so many of them indicted in so short a time.

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Turns out that Carter comes up slightly lower than average in the estimation of most historians.

Since they're rewriting history I wonder if they are trying to make him out to be some kind of economic genius too?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Barbarian observes:
Turns out that Carter comes up slightly lower than average in the estimation of most historians.

Since they're rewriting history

Rating a president isn't "rewriting history." A large number of historians of all politcal persuasions were asked to rate presidents. Carter's mean score comes out slightly lower than average, in the third quartile.

I wonder if they are trying to make him out to be some kind of economic genius too?

I think you misunderstand. They didn't rate the presidents on political correctness. For example, both Reagan and Clinton come out better than average, because both were effective in getting their policies implemented.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.