How do you think Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter will impact on Big Tech's monopoly on free speech?

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

APersonWithNoName

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2022
Auckland
✟90,245.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well given how dependent Tesla is on China, don't be surprised if comments on China are suddenly heavily moderated.

From what I have watched, the main reason Elon bought Twitter is to promote free speech, in another word, "no one" will be moderated, including people who criticize him.

that is the whole point.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
From what I have watched, the main reason Elon bought Twitter is to promote free speech, in another word, "no one" will be moderated, including people who criticize him.

that is the whole point.
So he says, but all you have to do is change the algorithm so such posts whilst not deleted, are effectively not going to appear on peoples feeds.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So he says, but all you have to do is change the algorithm so such posts whilst not deleted, are effectively not going to appear on peoples feeds.
It almost sounds like you are admitting that this happens already even though tech giants claim otherwise.

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

APersonWithNoName

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2022
Auckland
✟90,245.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

that is a fair point. We don't know what he will do at this point, so there is no need to hypothesize.

that said, even if he uses the algorithm that way, it is still better than taking people's posts off, right?

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
His statement on making the algorithm open source will allow for far more transparency. Qualified tech people will compare results and openly compare a publically backed system to that of private corporate giants.

I think his statement that Twitter is a town square does end the debate of but Twitter is private company. That should get rid of the ban on former President Trump and Alex Jones.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Nobody has a monopoly on free speech. Everybody has free speech rights.

What Twitter did before Musk is just like what this website does.
What Twitter does after Musk will be just like what this website does.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟243,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Criticisms about billionaires' abilities to pay taxes or do something actually meaningful and helpful in society notwithstanding, I don't care.

I don't care if Musk buys Twitter. I don't use Twitter hardly at all. I certainly don't use it to get information about what's happening in the world. I don't think people who tweet are any more worth listening to than those who write books, or news stories, or make YouTube videos or anything else. Whatever changes Musk makes to the way Twitter works will have little effect overall, IMO.

I just don't really care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ponderous Curmudgeon

Feb 20, 2021
Newfield
✟38,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
With the EU passing strict laws requiring social media to be strictly moderated, and regulated I wonder will twitter under musk survive being American only, banned in most of the world.
You will end up with Chinese Twitter, EU twitter, US Twitter etc. Musk owning it won't make any difference since they will have to operate under local laws as they already do. It is just that so far there are not a lot of local laws.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Nobody has a monopoly on free speech. Everybody has free speech rights.

What Twitter did before Musk is just like what this website does.
What Twitter does after Musk will be just like what this website does.
You mean like the time when I brought attention to something Ben Shapiro and the Daily Wire published and it was taken down a few years ago?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
You mean like the time when I brought attention to something Ben Shapiro and the Daily Wire published and it was taken down a few years ago?

Yes, just like here three months ago. No difference.

(This post should not be construed as a complaint about the management of this site or any particular decision, but only as evidence that my comparison above is valid. Sites ban content that doesn't meet the TOS. Please don't hurt me.)

Hi essentialsaltes,

Your post quoted below was recently reported for staff review.

After careful review our moderating team has reached consensus and has decided to delete OR edit your post in the thread

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes, just like here three months ago. No difference.

(This post should not be construed as a complaint about the management of this site or any particular decision, but only as evidence that my comparison above is valid. Sites ban content that doesn't meet the TOS. Please don't hurt me.)

Hi essentialsaltes,

Your post quoted below was recently reported for staff review.

After careful review our moderating team has reached consensus and has decided to delete OR edit your post in the thread
I have no doubt the sites policy on the Nicene Creed is not going to change, which is a good thing. However the understanding of news outlets as time and chance effects them will.

The way I see it creditiblity is earned over time, change doesn't happen out of nowhere and there will be changes.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟243,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0