Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, the great tribulation ends in the 6th seal and thus the trumpets end before the 7th seal is opened.

I'm familiar with that line of interpretation and disagree with it.

Revelation 7 begins a new vision that gives further details as to the great tribulation time. These - came out of great tribulation. They are seen in this chapter in the temple of God, yet the end of Revelation 15 reveals that seven plagues of the seven angels must end first -before men can enter into the temple.

Or perhaps, the four horsemen represent the rise of the Antichrist, the martyrs beneath the alter the righteous murdered in his wake and the sixth seal is God's punishment for the horrible crimes against God and man. A time when they emerge from their bunkers to continue on their rampage and toward the middle of the tribulation the trumpet blasts culminating the abomination the causes desolation. Toward the end the devastating vials of wrath that the Antichrist, Babylon and his cohorts suffer and survive.

I find the Dispensational end time scenarios interesting but largely unconvincing. I don't think it represents the timeline presented and overly complicates a text obviously written to provide clarity, unraveling the riddle of end times prophecy.

Uncovering the mystery of God to make it plain as it was shown to John.

Revelation 15:1 has seven angels.
Revelation 8:2 has "the seven angels".
The seven angels came into Revelation 7 as the
set of sealing angels that came as ascending out of the east.

Revelation 8 commences the section on the Trumpet blasts, seven vials and seven angels. Seven seals are the heart of the emphasis for the first seven chapters, seven chapters starting off with the Trumpet blasts and the seven vials of wrath in the final seven chapters. There is a clear timeline here and an escalation of the severity of God's judgment on the rebellious armies of the Antichrist.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know you are asking about studying, but have you ever just read a biblical book or letter as it was originally supposed to be read?

Most English Bibles are set up for reference - pericope headers, chapter markers, numbered versification, dual columns, translation notes, text references, introductions, concordances, etc. This makes it easy to look up a single verse and "study" it, but it makes reading a whole book or letter feel like reading a dictionary.

Check out the video on this new ESV Reader's Bible: ESV Reader's Bible , Cloth Hardcover
Oh yea, forgot to mention that, a good study Bible is invaluable.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am at a frustrating point in my Bible studies. I have tried study guides, the inductive study method, reading/highlighting/note-taking...I just cannot seem to find a way to study it that makes me feel like I am getting the most out of my readings (yes I have just simply and prayerfully read through the Bible many times).

What study method do you find most enriching for you?
Simply reading it over and over again is of great value since you will begin to see the big picture when you familiar with the entire Bible.

When I began studying the Bible I realized that it was an historical document. So I mapped out the chronology of the Bible so I could match it with known history. Did you know that there was only about 150 years between the Noahic Flood and the earliest known Sumerian text? The Prehistoric era is quite brief.

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Let me make 4 points that will sound elitist to many readers, but to which seminary professors (both conservative and liberal) will say Amen:

(1) There is a reason why so many denominations require seminary training (not just Bible school) for their pastors. In an important sense the Bible cannot be accurately translated. That is because, for many theologically and ethically important terms, there is no adequate one-to-one English translation. In depth understanding requires a knowledge of Greek and Hebrew nuance. As text critic B. F. Wescott famously observed, "The simple Gospel is not as simple as the simple would have you suppose."

(2) An adequate understanding of the Gospels requires an awareness of Gospel sources. The meaning of Gospel texts needs to be understood at 3 levels: (a) what Jesus meant by what He said and did; (b) what Gospel writers mean by the way they organize and edit their Gospels, and (c) the purposes of their sources.

(3) An adequate grasp of Paul's epistles requires a knowledge of the cultural background of his language, the perspectives of his opponents, and an adequate understanding of the crises of each community he is addressing.

(4) To grasp the meaning of the Book of Revelation, one must first discover its historical context and what the imagery meant to its readers; and that requires an awareness of the use of its apocalyptic imagery in the many other Jewish apocalyptic texts from the intertestamental period. The Letters to the 7 churches must be understood in terms of what was happening in each city at the time.

As a former theology professor turned Methodist pastor, I was once asked by 4 laymen to lead a Bible study at a seminary level. I was reluctant because I feared such a study would prove too technical, but instead it proved the most effective study I ever led and made the participants more excited about their faith. Of the 4, 1 (a retired engineer) was too old to go to seminary, but the other 3 members promptly got seminary Masters degrees after the study. 1 became a Methodist pastor, 1 became an editor and researcher on the Dead Sea Scrolls retranslation project (required by modern abilities to fill in damaged areas in the scrolls), and 2 became important contributors to archaeological digs at biblical sites in Israel.

Of course, the uneducated Bible student who asks for the Spirit's guidance can derive great nourishment from Scripture without such advanced study. But you asked about something more. Don't take my word for it; the proof is in the pudding. Use Amazon's book summaries and reviews to search out practical books on the Bible written by qualified conservative Bible scholars to see what lights your fire. If you're interested in charismatic theology, read Jack Deere's book, "Surprised by the Spirit." Deere is an ex-Dallas Seminary NT professor, whose whole perspective was changed by encounters with authentic gifts of the Spirit. Or start threads here on specific Bible texts and issues and ask for scholarly but practical analyses to see the difference this can make for your faith.

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am at a frustrating point in my Bible studies. I have tried study guides, the inductive study method, reading/highlighting/note-taking...I just cannot seem to find a way to study it that makes me feel like I am getting the most out of my readings (yes I have just simply and prayerfully read through the Bible many times).

(Sorry that this is a rather disjointed post. I didn't take time to edit and organize it.)

The big question I'd ask is this. Who did God make you to be? I believe that this is the starting point for what study methods work best for each person. My current pastor studied business and accounting before becoming a pastor. As could be expected, he is a very disciplined and detail oriented person who has been using the same version of the 1-year Bible for probably close to 25 years. I'm a top-down abstract thinker that needs to see the big picture to function. I see the forest; my pastor sees the trees. Neither is right or wrong. It's that God has made us all individuals. I'm a person that needs to take in a huge stream of input from various sources to better see the big picture. I spent years trying to "memorize" bible verses but never really got anywhere. I memorized a couple of the smaller epistles (about 30 to 40 years ago) and can still rattle off parts of them. But I found for me that recall via familiarity was much better than via rote work. Having read the same book in the Bible dozens of times in different versions and languages has left the basic thought and idea and structure in my memory (and available for me when I am talking, writing, or meditating). I can usually recall what I need to know and where it is and give a reasonable "quotation" of it. I know others for whom rote memorization of verses in particular versions has been a blessing.

What were your favorite subjects in school? What were your least favorite? What are your hobbies? I think that those are some things that might point you in a direction that would be more fruitful. If you are an accountant, it's likely a more organized set of methods will help more. If you are an artist, it's likely a different set of methods will help more.

As a comment, I'm a physics/math person with a strong artistic/creative streak. I have a low threshold for boredom. Once I've done something a few times, I find I need to change to a new method or something else to keep interest and enthusiasm. For me, it's also sort of the Pareto principle (or 80/20 or 90/10 rule or however someone chooses to say it). The first few times I do something one way, I gain a lot more benefit faster than the 10th time. The first time I read the Bible through, it was like a whole new world opened up to me. The 10th time through, not so much. I've found I have definite seasons in my life where something just flows freely. I've learned to go with those ebbs and flows and embrace them rather than fighting to try to discipline myself to do it the same way all the time. That's me. I know others that have been blessed by the same routine for decades.

I've got an old NIV pictorial Bible and a 1901 ASV that I've probably read close to a dozen times each. At one point, I started reading through the Bible (NIV and ASV) in about a month. I did that 4 times. That gives an amazing sense of unity. For example, reading Samuel, Kings, and Chronicles in 2 days gives an amazing sense of the overview of Israel's history compared to reading those over the course of a year. However, I started burning out when I was on the 4th time through like that and the 5th "month" turned into about a year. Other times I've read through the Bible in perhaps 2 years doing a lot of peripheral study and reading from other references. Other times, I've spent a month or two on a particular book doing a lot of reading of various reference materials (Bible dictionaries, atlases, etc.) about it. Other times, barely finishing a random chapter or so before I fell asleep was what I was doing for a length of time. :)

I've read through the Bible in several English versions (though the NIV and 1901 ASV are the ones I've read the most). I've also been through the NT perhaps 8 to 10 times in Greek and am on my 4th time through the OT (Septuagint) right now. In about another month, I'll have finished the NVI in Spanish. I've just started learning Hebrew so I'd expect in a year or two to start my first time through the OT in Hebrew. I now do the majority of my devotional and study reading in Greek and Spanish (with recourses to English when I hit my language limits).

One very big help for me was reading the book "How to Study the Bible for All It's Worth" by Gordon Fee and Douglass Stuart. It was my first introduction to the idea that different parts of the Bible are different types of literature. Psalms is poetic whereas Acts is historical whereas Titus is a personal letter. The basic idea is that we read a hymnbook or prayerbook differently than a history book differently than a letter in the mail. Combining this with reading a lot of reference books for the surrounding history, culture, geography, etc. of the Bible was very helpful for me.

I also have a number of Bible dictionaries and other reference books I've read and used. Though with the Internet, many of the older books are online. There are also a lot more images from museums and archaeological sites online as well. Over the years, I spent a lot of time reading through Bible dictionaries, various history books, and historical atlases. There is a wealth of information in books about biblical history, customs, agriculture, industry, etc. These give a lot of insight into various books and passages in the Bible. In the past, I read a lot of commentaries. I found that it was absolutely essential to read commentaries from a wide range of opinions or you run the real risk of tunnel vision and being indoctrinated rather than educated.

If you have any particular questions about what I do or anything, please feel free to ask.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Here's a four part series you might like to check out by Dr. MacArthur called Spiritual Boot Camp. Part one is called "How to Study the Scriptures" and it's free to listen to online.

You might also try some of Dr. Spoul's topical studies. Many are free to listen to or watch online or at Amazon Prime. Like this one called The Holiness of God. You can enhance your study of these series (as well most of his others series) by downloading the accompanying Study Guide for $3.75 (BTW, Dr. Sproul is not only a Presbyterian senior pastor, he's still best known as a theologian and seminary professor, so these study guides of his are SUPERB :)). The topical method of studying is often the most interesting way to personally increase your knowledge of the word of God, especially if you have a great teacher pointing things out to you along the way!

Finally, here's an online source with plenty of commentary (and a lot more) to look at if you are having trouble or want to more deeply understand a passage or verse you are reading. All for free. Bible Hub.

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - a short daily teaching broadcast from someplace like Renewing Your Mind (Dr. Sproul) or Grace to You (Dr. MacArthur) or Insight for Living (Dr. Swindoll) can be a great resource as well :)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Finally, having done many ways over time, the powerful way is to just read. For it's own sake, not for other reasons.

Like you might read any truly interesting book, to immerse yourself, and since God is involved, this is very rich, this text, in so many place, and the gospels are some of the most amazing (not that other stuff isn't, like the surprises in Job, the shocking and thought provoking here and there even for those that are very familiar with NT stuff and think they know OT stuff, but haven't read something like Ecclesiastes in the last 20 or 30 years (my experience -- "wow!...., fun!"), and well, I just love things like some of the stuff in Ezekiel, and I just know many jewels in the OT are waiting for me yet....but....the deeply sublime and layers of depth we don't know of, is in the gospels, in His Words, which we reasonably think we already know....but.....just read and be floored, and changed. I love that!

So, it's surrender to the text, to letting.....letting the text do the thing.

Instead of me doing the thing, doing talking, interpretation stuff.

Instead of that.

Instead, let the words be the teacher, and me the student!

Like, when "the Words of Eternal Life" are being said, I do not want to be busy talking or thinking I should not trust until I read Dr. so-and-so!! I want to hear!

Let me be silent, let me be the one listening.

He's saying something. I want to hear it!

When it's a gospel, Christ talking I'm going to tell Dr. What'shisname to just wait, maybe another year or 8, or better, perhaps in the afterlife, if he wants to tell me something then.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you everyone for your input. I have been a student of the Bible for almost 30 years now. I have read and re-read, but I have a hunger to dig deeper and deeper. I have skimmed most of the posts to this point and you have given me some great ideas and your wisdom and I thank each one of you for taking the time.

I will read all the posts more intently as soon as I have the time. In the meantime, please keep them coming! :hug::clap::oldthumbsup::heart:

PS - I do use Bible software (Logos 7 and eSword) and I frequently look up the Hebrew/Greek. I also own a Hebrew/Greek/English Interlinear Bible).

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: sethrak
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You know now days there is free bible software where you can see how its written in other bible translations.. and then how it was ORG written. But.. before.. ALWAYS.. tell the Father to open your eyes so see.. to open the word. And then.. it will be as if verses are JUMPING out at you.. thats HIM.. talking..showing you. Then.. when you get stuck.. just ask HIM to show you what He meant.. HE IS REAL. He will. Tell HIM how you feel.. what you want.. HE WILL answer

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Reading. Just plain old fashioned reading.

A Nave's Topical Bible is good because it gathers scriptures together under headings.
So one can look up marriage, or homicide, or sacrifice, or Passover, or Temple, etc.

Just read and enjoy. When you need scriptures to share with people because of your reading
you will know what to say, and where to find your highlighted verses.

Keep it simple, lest you lose your joy.

Upvote 0

sethrak

Aug 7, 2017
El Dorado County, California
✟49,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I won't pretend to be able to tell you how to study the Bible~but I will suggest that you get a
Strongs Exhaustive Bible Concordance Online - Bible Study Tools

Agan~I don't sell them~they do help when reading from a translation of a translation of a~it will give a closer idea of what was intended by what was said or described~

seth

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I use a free program, theWord, with a parallel Bible window in sync that has the original languages keyed to the text. A click, or even a hover, will give me depth into the meaning of the original word behind the translation, and into the underlying grammar, which very frequently gets lost in most translations, and which can be so important.

Upvote 0

Journey.In.Grace

Daughter of the One True King
Sep 2, 2013
Texas, US
✟159,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I am very specific with my Bible study. I use different color highlights for different things (God/Jesus talking, parables, faith, hope, love, anything that pops out to me, things I want to learn more about or need clarification). I also underline verses. I have a Bible that has a note taking margin on the side, so I often take a moment to think about the verse and write down my own notes. To me, I see it as my time with God. Praying for my heart to be open to His Word before reading helps a lot.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I "study" in two different ways. The first is to simply read the Bible in a modern version (I prefer the NET Bible). Each time I read it God gives me more insight. I don't like the KJV because a) it puts me into a state of false holiness because of the archaic, religious-sounding language and b) it is too difficult to understand what was actually written in the original languages. In essence I have to translate twice in my mind when using the KJV.

The second is I use the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible because I want above all to understand the cultures in which the Bible "books" were written. It is to easy to misunderstand the Bible through the cultural lens of modern 21st Century society

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I read through books of the Bible, but only remembered certain parts. Eventually I was able to remember more. I liked to use Bible atlases to try to learn the geographical itinerary of the Bible. I signed up for a community college New Testament class and had to buy a Gospel Parallel study guide. I found "Life in the Time of Jesus," by Jeremias Joachim useful as well. Sometimes I used to go to the Library of Congress in my spare time and researched Biblical archaeology and antiquities of Bible lands. The Library of Congress is the largest library in the world. I had access to a Seminary library as well.

I remember I was reading the Gospel of John. In one passage Jesus saw a paralyzed man at the Pool of Bethesda. I read there were porticoes at the Pool of Bethesda. I had to learn what a portico was. Eventually my search led me to visit Israel and I saw and photographed the excavated and restored Pool of Bethesda that is on Catholic property.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
To get more out of my bible studies I pray and use historical books, bible commentaries, bible concordances, old Bible translations, do on going biblical language studies(hebrew, aramaic and greek); took the HaYesod:The Foundation study course, participate in koinonia /and or haverim (exploring/studying scripture)...visit a Jewish synagogue and asked questions, attend Messianic church etc.

Upvote 0