Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am at a frustrating point in my Bible studies. I have tried study guides, the inductive study method, reading/highlighting/note-taking...I just cannot seem to find a way to study it that makes me feel like I am getting the most out of my readings (yes I have just simply and prayerfully read through the Bible many times).

What study method do you find most enriching for you?
What has worked best for me is understanding the narrative, redemptive history has a timeline punctuated by events. The hardest period for me was the time of the prophets but after studying the eight century prophets I started to understand the historical context and it got a lot easier. One of the best ways to establish a comprehensive narrative is to identify things have haven't change down through the ages. God's divine attributes and eternal nature (Rom. 1:18-21), justification by grace through faith (Rom. 2:21,22). Understanding the historical narratives of the first five book of the OT and the NT is foundational.

The practice of going verse by verse and doing a lot of cross referencing can be confusing, it helps to try to get some elevation and take in the panorama. The time of the Patriarchs, the Exodus, the ministry of Christ and the Acts of the Apostles. Seeing, in your minds eye how the gospel spread from Jerusalem, to Antioch to Cyprus, Galatia, Greece and eventually catching fire in Asia Minor. These sweeping events of redemptive history gives you a solid foundation for filling in the details with regards to doctrine and devotion.

Every time Moses and the children of Israel stopped somewhere after the Exodus Moses reviewed what had happened up till then. When Paul arrived in Jerusalem he and Barnabas related how God had worked in the lives of the Gentiles and then he dealt with the doctrinal disputes that were so serious at the time. Knowing why Paul wrote so many important texts while under Roman guard and why Luke relates the gospel and Acts to a Roman governor is vital to understanding the historical context.

In the Revelation before the vials of wrath are poured out the Angels sing the song of redemption:

And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying,

Great and marvelous are thy works,
Lord God Almighty;
just and true are thy ways,
thou King of saints.

Who shall not fear thee, O Lord,
and glorify thy name?
for thou only art holy:
for all nations shall come and worship before thee;
for thy judgments are made manifest. (Rev. 15:3,4)
That last line is elsewhere translated, 'for your righteous deeds have been revealed'. They all do it, the prophets, the priests, Jesus and the Apostles, they all pass and review the righteous deeds of God in redemptive history. These righteous deeds are the basis of our doctrine, our testimony and our prayer and worship. We do well to know these landmark events in redemptive history and join the chorus of this song of redemption.

Just one more thing and this isn't a minor point. If you would understand the Scriptures the best way to, is to realize neither the Scriptures nor the gifts of grace from the Holy Spirit are given to you just for you. The more you are willing to minister to the body of Christ the clearer the testimony of Scripture will be.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What has worked best for me is understanding the narrative, redemptive history has a timeline punctuated by events. The hardest period for me was the time of the prophets but after studying the eight century prophets I started to understand the historical context and it got a lot easier. One of the best ways to establish a comprehensive narrative is to identify things have haven't change down through the ages. God's divine attributes and eternal nature (Rom. 1:18-21), justification by grace through faith (Rom. 2:21,22). Understanding the historical narratives of the first five book of the OT and the NT is foundational.

The practice of going verse by verse and doing a lot of cross referencing can be confusing, it helps to try to get some elevation and take in the panorama. The time of the Patriarchs, the Exodus, the ministry of Christ and the Acts of the Apostles. Seeing, in your minds eye how the gospel spread from Jerusalem, to Antioch to Cyprus, Galatia, Greece and eventually catching fire in Asia Minor. These sweeping events of redemptive history gives you a solid foundation for filling in the details with regards to doctrine and devotion.

Every time Moses and the children of Israel stopped somewhere after the Exodus Moses reviewed what had happened up till then. When Paul arrived in Jerusalem he and Barnabas related how God had worked in the lives of the Gentiles and then he dealt with the doctrinal disputes that were so serious at the time. Knowing why Paul wrote so many important texts while under Roman guard and why Luke relates the gospel and Acts to a Roman governor is vital to understanding the historical context.

In the Revelation before the vials of wrath are poured out the Angels sing the song of redemption:

And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying,

Great and marvelous are thy works,
Lord God Almighty;
just and true are thy ways,
thou King of saints.

Who shall not fear thee, O Lord,
and glorify thy name?
for thou only art holy:
for all nations shall come and worship before thee;
for thy judgments are made manifest. (Rev. 15:3,4)
That last line is elsewhere translated, 'for your righteous deeds have been revealed'. They all do it, the prophets, the priests, Jesus and the Apostles, they all pass and review the righteous deeds of God in redemptive history. These righteous deeds are the basis of our doctrine, our testimony and our prayer and worship. We do well to know these landmark events in redemptive history and join the chorus of this song of redemption.

Just one more thing and this isn't a minor point. If you would understand the Scriptures the best way to, is to realize neither the Scriptures nor the gifts of grace from the Holy Spirit are given to you just for you. The more you are willing to minister to the body of Christ the clearer the testimony of Scripture will be.

Grace and peace,
Mark

thank you, Mark :) I will reread that when I can brain, because I cannot brain today. You and vinsight4u are giving me some good stuff but my brain is on Sabbatical :D

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am at a frustrating point in my Bible studies. I have tried study guides, the inductive study method, reading/highlighting/note-taking...I just cannot seem to find a way to study it that makes me feel like I am getting the most out of my readings (yes I have just simply and prayerfully read through the Bible many times).

Making sure there is a balance of Old and New Testament passages being read. Remembering that there are three groups of ppl: Jews, Gentiles and the church of God (1 Corinthians 10.32). Seeing the fulfilment of Old Testament promises in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I usually just read it, and ask the Lord to teach me while I do so. I pick the chapters that I feel He calls me to read, and enjoy the "conversation" with Him, if you can call it that. And I ask Him a million questions. I try and memorize as much as possible, because I want the Holy Spirit to be able to talk to me in Scripture verses as much as possible as I live my life. Sometimes I do a Bible study on a particular subject and compare and contrast verses.

I recently started listening to it. I listen to it at work, and then while I'm doing chores at home, and sometimes before I go to bed because it makes me calm.

As for actually studying it, I'm going to take online University courses in OT Hebrew and NT Greek in three weeks. I'm looking forward to it more than I can even begin to explain.

• Winner
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I start with a question. Currently my question comes from II Corinthians 2:11...we are not unaware of Satan's schemes..so what are his schemes and how can we stand against them effectively?

After I have a question to start me off (Part of a larger study on Biblical Love) I usually though not always start with a concordance search for every place (in this case) where scripture talks about something that Satan or the Devil did or does. With that list in hand I start looking at each individual case in context. As the context unfolds various truths I add to it a word study usually using Strong's on line site with the Thayer's Lexicon at easy reach. Cross referrences often from Biblos but other sources as well. These each usually unfold into more questions and some really amazing truths that we often overlook.

When I find another question or a truth that is "new" to me I then look at the totality of scripture to make sure that I am not misunderstanding what it says. After I get all this done I then apply it to my life for further testing it for truth. Sometimes I bring it here or discuss it with my husband or pastor or someone else I trust for truth as well.

Here is a quick example, hope it helps....one of the schemes of Satan is that of tempting us. A great place to start is the temptations of Christ. When we read the temptation of Christ we first see that God led Jesus into the wilderness to be tempted. What a powerful challenge to our understanding of God's leading. As we look into God's leading we come to passages like Romans 8:28 which gives us reassurance and encourages us to trust God even when we don't understand...(many more but trying to short hand it for you)

As we move through the temptations we see that Satan uses our physical discomforts, like hunger to tempt us, he uses our pride as in "all of this could be yours", and he uses the promises of God, aka scripture itself to tempt us to sin.

The solution that Jesus shows us is to be intimate with scripture and rightly divide it. As we look into how to do that we find three disciplines that are invaluable, 1. study, that is actual study not just reading, 2. meditating, old fashion thinking on not the new age stuff and 3. hiding the word in our hearts, iow's memorizing scripture.

Well that is the shortest version I can give you, hope it helps...may your grow in Christ beyond your wildest dreams as you pursue your quest to study His word.

Reactions: Breve
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
- Research the historical and cultural context of the book
- Look at the themes and literary genres of the book and passage.
- Look at the overall context of the passage within the book
- Generally by using a Interlinear version, look at the Greek words that the passage uses
- Pull the original meaning and principle of the text from that.
- See how that original meaning relates to our own time and culture
- Compare how the principle connects to the overall theme of the book and The Bible.
- How do we today live out the principle of the passage.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I start with a question. Currently my question comes from II Corinthians 2:11...we are not unaware of Satan's schemes..so what are his schemes and how can we stand against them effectively?

After I have a question to start me off (Part of a larger study on Biblical Love) I usually though not always start with a concordance search for every place (in this case) where scripture talks about something that Satan or the Devil did or does. With that list in hand I start looking at each individual case in context. As the context unfolds various truths I add to it a word study usually using Strong's on line site with the Thayer's Lexicon at easy reach. Cross referrences often from Biblos but other sources as well. These each usually unfold into more questions and some really amazing truths that we often overlook.

When I find another question or a truth that is "new" to me I then look at the totality of scripture to make sure that I am not misunderstanding what it says. After I get all this done I then apply it to my life for further testing it for truth. Sometimes I bring it here or discuss it with my husband or pastor or someone else I trust for truth as well.

Here is a quick example, hope it helps....one of the schemes of Satan is that of tempting us. A great place to start is the temptations of Christ. When we read the temptation of Christ we first see that God led Jesus into the wilderness to be tempted. What a powerful challenge to our understanding of God's leading. As we look into God's leading we come to passages like Romans 8:28 which gives us reassurance and encourages us to trust God even when we don't understand...(many more but trying to short hand it for you)

As we move through the temptations we see that Satan uses our physical discomforts, like hunger to tempt us, he uses our pride as in "all of this could be yours", and he uses the promises of God, aka scripture itself to tempt us to sin.

The solution that Jesus shows us is to be intimate with scripture and rightly divide it. As we look into how to do that we find three disciplines that are invaluable, 1. study, that is actual study not just reading, 2. meditating, old fashion thinking on not the new age stuff and 3. hiding the word in our hearts, iow's memorizing scripture.

Well that is the shortest version I can give you, hope it helps...may your grow in Christ beyond your wildest dreams as you pursue your quest to study His word.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
thank you, Mark :) I will reread that when I can brain, because I cannot brain today. You and vinsight4u are giving me some good stuff but my brain is on Sabbatical :D
Just bear in mind we have the rest of our lives to learn from the Scriptures. When your brain wakes up it will be hungry, learn the history of our faith, the song of redemption. Hit the highlights and the landmark events and when you have a solid understanding of the timeline from Genesis to Deuteronomy and the Gospels and Acts you will have a comprehensive overview. Then go from there, walk with Moses up Sinai, have a seat in the Kidron valley as Jesus gives his inaugural sermon on the mount. Sit with the Apostles in the Upper Room as Jesus washes their feet and tells them of the coming of the Holy Spirit. Imagine the hustle and bustle of Ephesus as two tent makers explain the gospel to merchants who would help to carry the message to the cities of Asia Minor.

Enjoy the journey, don't expect to make it in a day. Just remember, what you learn you must share, building up the body of Christ. That, more then anything else, will open the Scriptures up in ways you never thought possible.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You should see the dumbfounded look on my face right now. It's the same look I get when I read Revelation. It's a bit like
View attachment 204563
Believe it or not the Revelation is an easy one. Seven seals, seven trumpets and seven vials of wrath. The seals are the heart of the emphasis in the first seven chapters, then the trumpets in the next seven, then the final seven culminate with the vials of wrath. Of course you have to get into some of the Levitical and prophetic imagery but you have to follow the timeline. Seals at the beginning, Trumpets in the middle and Vials of wrath toward the end.

Upvote 0

Faith Alone 1 Cor 15:1-4

Aug 2, 2017
Heaven
✟12,836.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Just read it or read it with some teacher on youtube , i don't choose any teacher which is less than 30 year old and if i find one thing that bible says different than he said i leave him and go to next one .

Try to memorise most important verses , if you don't know something ask Holy Spirit it will explain you / remind you .

You have to have open mind , you might be wrong on pultiple things we are in last days there is too much common tradition included in every church .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I can only tell you what I do, I read the new testament more than once a month, and the old testament less than once a month.
I read 5 chapters in Matthew, Mark, Luke, John.
And I read 5 chapters from Acts to the end of the bible.
I read 5 chapters in the beginning of the old testament, where ever I am in it, and 5 chapters some where else in the old testament.
I study 2 to 4 hours a day, but I have a MP3 player so I can listen when I'm walking, or in a coffee shop.
But I think you have to find what works best for you.
Good luck.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I open up a verse in ESV and in interlinear and then I read one word at a time looking up the important words in Greek and Hebrew. Seeing what they mean and how those words have been used and where they have been used before.

Just as an example of how much information is contained in a single word. I was going through 2 Thessalonians 2:3 earlier with ESV,YLT, and interlinear up. The word rebellion brings to mind Atheism, but when you look the word up and see how it's used in Acts 21:21 it's really an apostasy within. It something inside the church not outside of it, it's covert rather than overt. These online interlinears open up so much locked away in translation.

Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I know you are asking about studying, but have you ever just read a biblical book or letter as it was originally supposed to be read?

Most English Bibles are set up for reference - pericope headers, chapter markers, numbered versification, dual columns, translation notes, text references, introductions, concordances, etc. This makes it easy to look up a single verse and "study" it, but it makes reading a whole book or letter feel like reading a dictionary.

Check out the video on this new ESV Reader's Bible: ESV Reader's Bible , Cloth Hardcover

• Winner
Upvote 0