• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The CF Faith Groups List has been updated. The Statement of Faith has also been updated (section on unorthodox Christian theology only). Please review both of these updates. If you would like to request a different faith group, please open a support ticket.

Featured How do YOU study the Bible?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by PropheticTimes, Aug 11, 2017.

1. PropheticTimes

PropheticTimes Lord Have Mercy Supporter

+1,292
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I am at a frustrating point in my Bible studies. I have tried study guides, the inductive study method, reading/highlighting/note-taking...I just cannot seem to find a way to study it that makes me feel like I am getting the most out of my readings (yes I have just simply and prayerfully read through the Bible many times).

What study method do you find most enriching for you?

2. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+1,051
    Christian
    /nvm

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid It's going to be another Edvard Munch kind of day! Supporter

+2,471
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I study the Bible in relation to studying everything else that I'm interested in studying, yet when I do this, I keep the Bible as the central core of context which ties it all together for me. Sometimes my study of the Bible might be done in tandem with reaching a goal in understanding. At other times, I may just pick a book to remind myself of what God's Will is in my life. For instance, I might read James from start to finish if I feel I need an overall 'reminder' about the moral dimensions of my Christian responsibilities.

Otherwise, I don't have a particular method of study other than keeping in mind that good hermeneutics is not only useful, but necessary as I travel the journey of God's Revealing in my life.

Peace,
    2PhiloVoid

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+1,051
    Christian
    /nvm

5. PropheticTimes

+1,292
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I have highlighted what seemed important but I have never tried the method you described. Is this your own personal method you created?

6. PropheticTimes

+1,292
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Thank you for your input :)

7. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+1,051
    Christian
    /nvm

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  8. PropheticTimes

+1,292
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    A problem I find I have in color-coding (as in the inductive method) is that I feel like I spend more time coloring and doodling than I do studying. Do you find this to be an issue?

9. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+1,051
    Christian
    /nvm

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+1,051
    Christian
    /nvm

11. PropheticTimes

+1,292
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Oh I like that idea, or even using one Bible for opposing subjects like mercy/wrath or sin/righteousness, etc... Also one Bible for prophecy/fulfilled prophecy.

Are there certain Bibles that you find have less of a "bleeding through" issue with the pens?

Thank you, vinsight4u! :)

12. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+1,051
    Christian
    /nvm

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member

+1,955
    Catholic
    Married
    All good. I've done all of that. Read the text with the Church Fathers. Read a variety of translations. Tried Greek, but I'm not that much of a linguist so I now stick to English. I once was good at Latin, and reading it in Latin was enlightening. If you know French or German or some other language, you might try that.
    Well, there is so much there, the text is so rich, that it's a bit crazy to think you can capture everything. There is a lot of background that I'll never learn even with another 50 years of study. But I don't despair. I learn what I am able to and God can explain the rest in eternity.
    Right now I do a lot of whole book reading, not that that's the only or best way, but it provides a bigger picture. I still do other methods. But, for example, one of the last times I read Mark that way, I noticed how often the word 'immediately' popped up.

14. jsimms615

jsimms615 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,236
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I use several web sites that have commentaries and help me look up the original words used to help me understand what the original author meant. Sometimes I will also listen to sermons online related to the passage I am studying or read a book related to the character or book I am studying. There are a lot of great pastors who have written or audio files online that you can read or listen to that will help give insight.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+1,051
    Christian
    /nvm

• List
  16. nanookadenord

nanookadenord Active Member

+99
    Catholic
    Single
    I don't actually. I read it, but don't study. I never studied in school either and I did better that way. Same applies for me with reading the Bible. I find I do better just reading it.

I retain and understand it this way.

17. PropheticTimes

+1,292
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Thank you! I currently use a Pentel 8 Color Automatic Pencil and it seems to work well as far as not bleeding through and erases quite well (I use a Tombow MONO Zero Retractable 2.3 mm Eraser).

• List
  18. PropheticTimes

+1,292
    United States
    Christian
    Private
  19. PropheticTimes

+1,292
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    You should see the dumbfounded look on my face right now. It's the same look I get when I read Revelation. It's a bit like
    awe0134.JPG

20. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+1,051
    Christian
    /nvm