Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am at a frustrating point in my Bible studies. I have tried study guides, the inductive study method, reading/highlighting/note-taking...I just cannot seem to find a way to study it that makes me feel like I am getting the most out of my readings (yes I have just simply and prayerfully read through the Bible many times).

What study method do you find most enriching for you?

Reactions: dqhall

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Shelob??
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,129,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am at a frustrating point in my Bible studies. I have tried study guides, the inductive study method, reading/highlighting/note-taking...I just cannot seem to find a way to study it that makes me feel like I am getting the most out of my readings (yes I have just simply and prayerfully read through the Bible many times).

I study the Bible in relation to studying everything else that I'm interested in studying, yet when I do this, I keep the Bible as the central core of context which ties it all together for me. Sometimes my study of the Bible might be done in tandem with reaching a goal in understanding. At other times, I may just pick a book to remind myself of what God's Will is in my life. For instance, I might read James from start to finish if I feel I need an overall 'reminder' about the moral dimensions of my Christian responsibilities.

Otherwise, I don't have a particular method of study other than keeping in mind that good hermeneutics is not only useful, but necessary as I travel the journey of God's Revealing in my life.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you highlight using different colors for the types of verses? such as - mine -prayer/pink...hell/red...eternal life/purple I also use colored pencils that are erasable.

I have highlighted what seemed important but I have never tried the method you described. Is this your own personal method you created?

Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I study the Bible in relation to studying everything else that I'm interested in studying, yet when I do this, I keep the Bible as the central core of context which ties it all together for me. Sometimes my study of the Bible might be done in tandem with reaching a goal in understanding. At other times, I may just pick a book to remind myself of what God's Will is in my life. For instance, I might read James from start to finish if I feel I need an overall 'reminder' about the moral dimensions of my Christian responsibilities.

Otherwise, I don't have a particular method of study other than keeping in mind that good hermeneutics is not only useful, but necessary as I travel the journey of God's Revealing in my life.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Thank you for your input :)

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lamentations 1:22
"Let their wickedness come before thee, and do unto them, as thou hast done unto me..."

now Babylon will yet be punished - as she will be remembered before God for her sins

Revelation 16:19
"And the great city was divided into three parts...great
Babylon came in remembrance before God..."

Lots of verses are covered over in my Bibles, so I can focus more on where the keys verses are to understand
prophecy.

A problem I find I have in color-coding (as in the inductive method) is that I feel like I spend more time coloring and doodling than I do studying. Do you find this to be an issue?

• Haha
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Shortly after I was saved at fifteen I knew that God called me to study the Bible a lot. Started highlighting verses and then also would use one Bible for just one subject - such as the seals of Revelation or the rapture.

Oh I like that idea, or even using one Bible for opposing subjects like mercy/wrath or sin/righteousness, etc... Also one Bible for prophecy/fulfilled prophecy.

Are there certain Bibles that you find have less of a "bleeding through" issue with the pens?

Thank you, vinsight4u! :)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am at a frustrating point in my Bible studies. I have tried study guides, the inductive study method, reading/highlighting/note-taking..
All good. I've done all of that. Read the text with the Church Fathers. Read a variety of translations. Tried Greek, but I'm not that much of a linguist so I now stick to English. I once was good at Latin, and reading it in Latin was enlightening. If you know French or German or some other language, you might try that.
I just cannot seem to find a way to study it that makes me feel like I am getting the most out of my readings (yes I have just simply and prayerfully read through the Bible many times).
Well, there is so much there, the text is so rich, that it's a bit crazy to think you can capture everything. There is a lot of background that I'll never learn even with another 50 years of study. But I don't despair. I learn what I am able to and God can explain the rest in eternity.
Right now I do a lot of whole book reading, not that that's the only or best way, but it provides a bigger picture. I still do other methods. But, for example, one of the last times I read Mark that way, I noticed how often the word 'immediately' popped up.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I use several web sites that have commentaries and help me look up the original words used to help me understand what the original author meant. Sometimes I will also listen to sermons online related to the passage I am studying or read a book related to the character or book I am studying. There are a lot of great pastors who have written or audio files online that you can read or listen to that will help give insight.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good idea as to noting somehow in Bibles as to opposing subjects. Found that regular colored pencils will erase if you do it not long after using one on the page, but they can get much harder to clear off later, so I like the erasable ones by Crayola. You can get pens that note on the back of the packages that they do not bleed through.
Paper Mate has some, but those are not erasable.
mine are those and -
Pilot/FriXion/you can buy the Clicker 07 kind in several colors and you just rub the end to erase
or they have ones with caps that are also 07 and use FriXion to wipe out what you want to get off the page.

Paper Mate has Erasermate that has caps with erasers.
They are noted as - 1.0M.

Thank you! I currently use a Pentel 8 Color Automatic Pencil and it seems to work well as far as not bleeding through and erases quite well (I use a Tombow MONO Zero Retractable 2.3 mm Eraser).

• Informative
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Isaiah 29:6

“Thou shalt be visited of the LORD of hosts with thunder, and with earthquake, and great noise, with storm and tempest, and the flame of devouring fire.”

This is the OT verse that helped me realize that out goes a kind of plagues list before the plagues actually begin as to the seven trumpets and the vials.

You should see the dumbfounded look on my face right now. It's the same look I get when I read Revelation. It's a bit like
awe0134.JPG

Upvote 0