Jul 7, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
✟794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you ever doubt about Christianity? How do you stay strong when you have these doubts? I am going thru some trying times now... I want to be Christian so badly, I do believe in Christ, but then I will have some doubt. Is this Christian? Or what am I doing? One minute I will be so heavily into it, it seems nothing could be more plain; That Christ is for me. Then I will have some doubt, and it all seems so far, and that I will never be able to grasp it again. Any help right now would be greatly appreciated.... (sorry for a long post!)

-kate-

HumbleBee

Jan 8, 2004
✟3,212.00
Faith
Christian
In terms of your spirit versus your flesh, whatever you feed will be strongest. So if you pray much, study the Bible diligently, do the Word, share your faith, and fellowship with other Christians, your spirit grows muscles and helps you stay strong in faith! :D Plus the better you get to know Jesus, the more stable your faith be! Doubts are not from God, so why listen to de devil, who just trying to mess you up? Been said to doubt your doubts! ;) Also recognize that feelings are fickle, constantly changing, yet God does not change. Whether or not you feel His presence, He with you alllllllllllllllllllllllways! :hug:

Upvote 0

Yamagi

Jul 12, 2004
Indio
✟189.00
Faith
Christian
Try going to church with more of your friends. Just keep on praying and studying the Bible. Try to live as Christ-like as possible. Even if you have doubts, walking with Jesus cannot hurt you. Try to overcome your doubts. You look around and see the world. What is there to doubt? I used to be an atheist so I do know where you are coming from. If you want to talk, feel free to PM me.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Congratulations! You have discovered a big truth!

You are not able to stay strong. No one is.

We lack the strength and ability to do that. But God does not. We need only ask. But we need to ask for His faith, His strength and His wisdom. Take your focus off yourself and put the focus on Him.

Upvote 0

rogsr

May 5, 2004
✟1,050.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Kate,
We all have doubts because we are all human. At best my faith is spasmodic...and that is on the good days. But I know that God loves me and that is how I stay strong and keep fighting. I know that God doesn't care how many times I fall as long as I get back up and continue to fight. God will never let you be crushed, but He will let the devil take you to the brink of annihilation, but only to draw out a greater good from inside you. Keep fighting and don't ever forget that you are a precious and loved child of God.

Sean-

Upvote 0

Jedi christian

The Force = The Lord
Mar 9, 2004
Arkansas
Visit site
✟357.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I have two things to say to you.
1.) As the bible says, God has come to give us life and more abundant. But what is life? Taxes, parking tickets, getting fired, going through a tough time in your marrige, that's life! And although being a christian is no walk through a garden, just remember that when Christ comes back he'll say to you, "well done, my good and faithful servant.

2.) I doubt God sometimes too. A very wise lady once told me, "Always question the dominant paradigm." This means that through questioning things, you can understand more about them. Just keep your faith, pray, love God, and read your Bible and it'll all work itself out in good time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes I think that the sin that so easily besets us is doubt and a lack of faith. As humblebee said, we overcome this through the growth process and a steady diet of faith building in the Word of God. Prayer, asking God and telling Him about your doubts and being honest with Him and your weaknesses, will also help. The Bible says that Jesus knows how we feel and is sympathetic, having been tempted in all things as us.

Heb 12:1 ¶ Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us,

Heb 4:15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.

Upvote 0

just_dance

Nothing But The Blood
Jul 26, 2004
✟1,461.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We all go through this I hope that you can find something that will bring you closer to God for example I listen to christian music and close mey eyes and just focus on the sprit and the meaning of it also try reading the bible or just pray you will find your faith soon enough just wait. We all go throgh doughts almost every day so please don't give up

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Krazy_4given_1 said:
Do you ever doubt about Christianity? How do you stay strong when you have these doubts? I am going thru some trying times now... I want to be Christian so badly, I do believe in Christ, but then I will have some doubt. Is this Christian? Or what am I doing? One minute I will be so heavily into it, it seems nothing could be more plain; That Christ is for me. Then I will have some doubt, and it all seems so far, and that I will never be able to grasp it again. Any help right now would be greatly appreciated.... (sorry for a long post!)

-kate-

Hi kate ,

I can't say I have doubts concerning Christ or the religion which is in His own image .

But not all that is called Christian - truly is .

I which case it's appropriate to have doubts , or to outright discount the things which contradict the Testimony of Jesus ; regardless of the label they are given .

But with regard to having doubts towards that which is rightly called Christian .... doubt is the absence of faith .

And :... faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. <-----> Romans 10:17

Hearing here means understanding also , for it is written :

Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. <-----> Matthew 13:13-16

Consider the prayer ...Give us this day our daily bread. <-----> Matthew 6:11

Now this well may include our physical food , but is certainly mainly referring to our spiritual food .

Behold :

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts . <-----> Jeremiah 15:16

Read The Bible daily ( KJV is best ) wait for God to " speak " to you through it . Avoid human commentaries . What you want , what we all need , is a one on one line of communication with Our Blessed Lord , and this is provided most certainly and most directly through the Holy Scriptures .

Don't dwell on the parts you don't understand , dwell on the one's you do ! In time what was once " a dark saying " will be illuminated as bright as the noon day .

And most importantly apply the things revealed unto you , ever praying and praising the Lord Jesus who makes every thing possible , by the power of God , to us who believe .

Let Scripture expound Scripture and pray for the Holy Spirit .

Consider :

Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength ... <-----> Psalm 8:2

...Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise? <-----> Matthew 21:16

Note carefully how these two define each other .

Jesus is quoting Psalm 8:2 ; but notice how two key words have been changed .

This is because God has ordained that strength is in praising .

But by praising it is not meant empty words of flattery .

As it is written :

Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid. <-----> Isaiah 29:13+14

But rather it is meant - inspired praise , praise which springs up out of understanding , which the Lord gives liberally to us who seek and ask Him for it .

I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works.
I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High. <-----> Psalm 9:1+2

... I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. <-----> 1st Corinthians 14:15

If you feel down , weak , doubtful ,etc. - focus on the things you understand which warrant your praise unto your Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ , our Lord and Saviour . This always works ! - For he who ordained it is God !

May The Lord God be magnified !

wm

P.S. Your post wasn't long ... and you needn't apologize , even if it were .

This forum is here for these issues to be expressed and acknowledged .

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's not a long post, I've seen longer...besides, I don't not like hearing of others' problems, (not that I like to see people have problems)...I like to help people.

Yes, I constantly have doubts...there are times when I will be reading my Bible and start to think, well, what if this is all fake, what if Jesus was a lunatic? What if he never really existed? Well...read some Josh McDowell...he's got the truth packed into him by God. He's got strong reliable answers that I have fallen to and have read much of and realized that I can doubt but then come searching for the answers to my doubts and find that I am not crazy, nor was Jesus or his followers, but that I am saved by grace through faith. Keep searching for answers...it's what God finds good.

Upvote 0