How Do You Say "Christian" In Hebrew?....

Tim Myers

Mar 26, 2011
✟2,382.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would like to ask a question....and I am hoping against hope that I will not inadvertently offend anyone or cause anyone in this forum to think about censuring me for asking it......

The world "Christian" originates from the Greek word "Christos," which is the Greek translation of the Hebrew word "Mashiach" (מָשִׁיחַ)......

Both words basically mean "anointed one" or "one who is anointed".

"Christian" is the English word we use when describing a person who is a believer in or follower of Christ.

What I would like to ask is, what is the transliterated form of the word "Christian" in Hebrew?

The reason I am asking for a transliteration is because I already know that the word "Christian" written in Hebrew is "נוצרי"......

But, how would I write it or say it transliterated into English?

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's נוֹצְרִי notsri (nohts-REE).

It's from the verb נָצַר natsar, which is a synonym of שָׁמַר shamar, meaning "keep, guard, watch."

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The city of Nazareth is נצרת, which has two pronunciations: natsrat and natseret. I've never heard anyone called a notsri who comes from natseret.

There was a prophecy about a netser (נצר) "branch" that would come from Jesse (that is, from the seed of king David). It's possibly, that the notsrim took their name from this prophecy - "the branch people" or something like that, followers of the Branch. The name in Greek is Ναζωραῖος Nadzoraios (see Matt 2:23). This might have referred to a specific sect at the time, the Nazoreans.

There's a lot of debate and disagreement about the identification of the Nazoreans/Nazarenes in the first Century. I'm not invested enough in the topic to really comment. I'm sure you can find a lot about the group online.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
First off, the Christian religion is not called notsrit, as they've written. It's called נַצְרוּת natsrut (which they write correctly in their definition of a notsri, but not above).

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd agree with his general claims in that article, though. נצרתי natsrati looks like a good form for "someone from Nazareth." He made the one mistake at the top (notsrit), but apart from that, he's laid out pretty good information.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The question is, though, who were the notsrim in the first century? Were they the same as the Essenes? Were they another of the many sects of the time? What was their defining doctrine or the characteristics that separated them from other forms of Judaism at the time? What was Yeshu's role in the group?

Acts 24:5 mentions "the Nazarene sect" and attaches Paul to their number as "ringleader." Was the original form of Christianity called "Nazarene"? Did that break off of the Essenes early on? Were there other important Nazarene leaders even before Jesus, who has always been called Yeshu (or Yeshua) the Nazarene in Hebrew literature?

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd say that originally the word notsri was a combination of two things: (1) the prophecy about the branch; (2) the idea that they were "guardians" of the true way. They probably viewed themselves as "conservative" and those who "kept" the true way, and that together with the prophecy of the "netser" helped them form the name of their group.

It was translated into Greek a Nadzoraios (Ναζωραῖος), which is also not a word meaning "from Nazareth" (Ναζαρέτ). Notice the difference of the alpha in Ναζαρέτ and the omega in Ναζωραῖος. That's surely on purpose. I think the Nazoreans became a group that was unliked by later Christians. I don't have a reference for that, though.

Upvote 0

Tim Myers

Mar 26, 2011
✟2,382.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well, one problem that arises is the fact that there were two sects known as the "Nazarenes".....one existed in the time of Christ and the other was an offshoot of the first one, who lived three centuries later (who were said to be Jewish converts to Christianity living north of what once was the city of Jerusalem)....

The gospel writer Matthew is also thought to be a Nazarene as well.....

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ah, Jerome wrote in the 4th Century:

"What shall I say of the Ebionites who pretend to be Christians? To-day there still exists among the Jews in all the synagogues of the East a heresy which is called that of the Minæans, and which is still condemned by the Pharisees; [its followers] are ordinarily called 'Nasarenes'; they believe that Christ, the son of God, was born of the Virgin Mary, and they hold him to be the one who suffered under Pontius Pilate and ascended to heaven, and in whom we also believe. But while they pretend to be both Jews and Christians, they are neither."

Epiphanius wrote:

"They have no different ideas, but confess everything exactly as the Law proclaims it and in the Jewish fashion – except for their belief in Christ, if you please! For they acknowledge both the resurrection of the dead and the divine creation of all things, and declare that God is one, and that his Son is Jesus Christ."

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, one problem that arises is the fact that there were two sects known as the "Nazarenes".....one existed in the time of Christ and the other was an offshoot of the first one, who lived three centuries later (who were said to be Jewish converts to Christianity living north of what once was the city of Jerusalem)....

The gospel writer Matthew is also thought to be a Nazarene as well.....

All true. Leads to a lot of confusion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ah, Jerome wrote in the 4th Century:

"What shall I say of the Ebionites who pretend to be Christians? To-day there still exists among the Jews in all the synagogues of the East a heresy which is called that of the Minæans, and which is still condemned by the Pharisees; [its followers] are ordinarily called 'Nasarenes'; they believe that Christ, the son of God, was born of the Virgin Mary, and they hold him to be the one who suffered under Pontius Pilate and ascended to heaven, and in whom we also believe. But while they pretend to be both Jews and Christians, they are neither."

Epiphanius wrote:

"They have no different ideas, but confess everything exactly as the Law proclaims it and in the Jewish fashion – except for their belief in Christ, if you please! For they acknowledge both the resurrection of the dead and the divine creation of all things, and declare that God is one, and that his Son is Jesus Christ."

Other than anti-semitism being the core of its rejection, what is wrong with this view? The one main change being moving from a sin offering of an animal,, we now have Yeshua's death and resurrection.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Other than anti-semitism being the core of its rejection, what is wrong with this view? The one main change being moving from a sin offering of an animal,, we now have Yeshua's death and resurrection.

For late First-Century Christians, association with Judaism may have been a little dangerous. Don't you think?

Upvote 0

Tim Myers

Mar 26, 2011
✟2,382.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
One of you may find this interesting, though I am sure you are aware of the history better than I ever could be.......

Major Trends in Jewish-Christian Relations During The Middie Ages.

"While the mission of the Church towards the pagan tribes of the north was clearly defined in its theology of evangelism, it nevertheless had to find a means to adapt itself to the Jewish reality within the confines of its dominion. Since Jews could not outrightly be classified as barbarians or polytheists, and whereas the judaic heritage was openly admitted, Christianity was hard pressed to cope with the Jewish denial of Jesus which it interpreted as an obstinate and wilful contradiction of truth.

The continued presence of Jewish elements within the Christian community was perceived by the Church as a threat to the new converts' faith as these expressed their curiosity concerning Jewish practice and customs to the point of attending synagogue services. The Church therefore saw fit to hinder judaizing elements by legislating limitative procedures with the expectation of reducing Christian-Jewish encounters to a minimum.

In the middle of the fourth century the Laws of Constantine prohibited Jews from intermarrying with Christian women, from owning non-Jewish slaves or from holding positions of high visibility. The building of new synagogues was also restricted, even when these were burned by angry Christian mobs. From then on the Jew in Christian Europe was treated as a second class citizen, with limited privileges and numerous obligations which contributed to creating social, economical and political burdens on the Jewish community at large."

So, by the mid-4th Century, things were already beginning to turn for the worse for the Jewish people in Europe.....

Upvote 0

rsduncan

Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
✟10,402.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
For late First-Century Christians, association with Judaism may have been a little dangerous. Don't you think?

Thinking about all that happened after the First Century makes me wince.

This, I know, is inadequate, but for all that Jews have gone through through the last two millennia, I apologize...

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship

Quite agreed. But.....it was dangerous just being Christian as well, so that reasoning falls flat on its face.
Both sides had the commands from God that they ignored. Both sides were full of guilt. Once the split was irreversible the Christians, at least, should have let go of their anit-semitism. They didn't. It's still far too prevalent today!! It shames me to no limit!
(I know, it's easy to point a finger today, having never suffered such consequences for my decisions. I cannot say what I would have done, I can only say what I pray I would have done or not done.)

Upvote 0