How do you respond when someone says that God has these feelings for you....?

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,814.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think someone was aiming to be encouraging when they said that God adores me. However, to me the word adore seems too connected with worship. Does anyone else think that way? I realise that God loves me.
He adores us as as parent adores their children.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I think someone was aiming to be encouraging when they said that God adores me. However, to me the word adore seems too connected with worship. Does anyone else think that way? I realise that God loves me.

A better word would be "cherish". Jesus cherishes his people by laying down his life for them to save them.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Adore is certainly an inappropriate word because it connotes worship and homage. Someone might say, in a colloquial sort of way, that "Jesus loves you so much! He worships the ground you walk on!" This would be a terribly misleading portrayal of Jesus' love.

God does not love us in a way that he adores or worships us. He cherishes us as a husband cherishes his wife or a father cherishes his son.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As my friends the Orthodox Jews like to point out - English is a second language to God. (or maybe a third, who knows?)

Do not get hung up on definitions of words that never appear in the original text of scripture.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
As my friends the Orthodox Jews like to point out - English is a second language to God. (or maybe a third, who knows?)

Do not get hung up on definitions of words that never appear in the original text of scripture.

If this is so, then Hebrew and Greek are also second languages to God. There is no holy language.

The concepts which are represented by words in any language are very important. It's very important that we speak correctly about God. In English, it could very well be misleading to say that God "adores" us if this is not qualified.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexDTX
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Adornment adds to a person to make it look more attractive, so in that sense God does adore or adorn us when others see Christ in us. I don't see the harm in that. It's earthly adornments that are in need of shedding.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
The concepts which are represented by words in any language are very important. It's very important that we speak correctly about God. In English, it could very well be misleading to say that God "adores" us if this is not qualified.
By this logic, using the English language to say God loves us is also misleading if not qualified. After all, we love our spouse, our children, our friends, hockey. If we need to qualify everything, we would not be speaking English except in very long, qualified books. God sees the state of our heart. Yes, God adores us - as one poster says, like a parent adores a child - meaning feeling great affinity for. The Bible says we are the apple of his eye... says to me he adores us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If this is so, then Hebrew and Greek are also second languages to God. There is no holy language.
The closest we can come to GOD's original language is ancient Hebrew.

בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָֽרֶץ׃
Bereshit bara Elohim et haShamaim v'et haEretz. (Gen 1.1)

וַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹהִים יְהִי אֹור וַֽיְהִי־אֹֽור׃

Va'yōmer Elohim y'hee or; v'hee or. (Gen 1.3)

Unless you think the text lies about what God actually said.
The text says God said "OR" (light) Is that what HE said or not?

Can you give me chapter and verse saying there is no holy language?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
. After all, we love our spouse, our children, our friends, hockey.
Correct. The bible uses at least 4 different Greek words to describe love, and at least 3 different Hebrew words.

The distinctions are important, but get totally lost in English.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The closest we can come to GOD's original language is ancient Hebrew.

Hebrew is not God's native tongue. It's a natural language that developed just like any other natural language. There is no divine language imparted from heaven to mankind. We have no idea what language Adam spoke or in what way it resembled Hebrew. We do know that Adam invented much of his own language as he himself named the animals (and by implication all of creation).

Even if there was a sacred language passed down from Adam it surely would've been lost at Babel where God confused the languages. Abram was called out of Ur of the Chaldees. The Babylonians certainly did not speak some sacred language.

All human language is man-made.

But God used the human languages of Hebrew and Greek to infallibly convey his word. Since the NT and OT are equally the word of God, we cannot say that Hebrew is more sacred than Greek or vice versa.

Can you give me chapter and verse saying there is no holy language?

No, but I don't need to. The burden of proof would be on the person who claims that there is a divine language which we human have access to. Can you give me a chapter and verse which says that there is?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All human language is man-made.
Including the conversations between Adam and God in Gen 2 and 3?

Also transmitted in ancient Hebrew. Is that a lie?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Including the conversations between Adam and God in Gen 2 and 3?

Also transmitted in ancient Hebrew. Is that a lie?
  1. We have no reason to suppose these conversations were in Hebrew.
  2. We have many reasons to suppose these conversations were not in Hebrew. (i.e. Hebrew being an Abrahamic language derived from the Chaldeans)
  3. Even if these conversations were in Hebrew this does not imply that Hebrew is a divine language that is somehow superior to any other human language.
  4. If these conversations were not in Hebrew, it would not be a lie to record them in Hebrew any more than an English translation of the Bible is a lie - or recording the words of Jesus in Greek (they may've been said in Aramaic) is a lie.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

In my Noah Webster 1828 copy of the American Dictionary of the English language
the word adore means: 1. honor, reverence or glorify. 2. To love in the highest
degree, to regard with utmost esteem, affection and respect; as, the people adore
their prince.

God loves us in the highest regard... Ephesians 2:4-5; chapter 1 of John.

It be OK, adore can be used to express the great love that the Lord has for His Children.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have no reason to suppose these conversations were in Hebrew.
except that is what the bible says. (in the Hebrew text)
We have many reasons to suppose these conversations were not in Hebrew. (i.e. Hebrew being an Abrahamic language derived from the Chaldeans)
Spiritual reasons? (not historical reasons)

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
except that is what the bible says. (in the Hebrew text)

The conversation is recorded in Hebrew. It does not explicitly say that they spoke in Hebrew. Do you believe Jesus preached the Sermon on the Mount in Greek?

Spiritual
reasons? (not historical reasons)

What's a spiritual reason?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What's a spiritual reason?
Something that is believed because the Bible says it.

Like the existence of Adam, Eve, the Garden of Eden; that God spoke the World into being. There is no historical evidence for any of those things. And yet we believe them.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Something that is believed because the Bible says it.

Like the existence of Adam, Eve, the Garden of Eden; that God spoke the World into being. There is no historical evidence for any of those things. And yet we believe them.

I see you dodged the other question.

I don't believe the Bible says that God spoke to Adam in Hebrew. I don't believe the Bible says that Jesus preached the Sermon on the Mount in Greek. Do you?

Upvote 0