Visit site
✟10,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am just curious. For those of you who receive kneeling and on the tongue, do they still put the paten (that gold plate with sharp sides) right up against your neck?

I remember finding it very threatening and sinister as a young child. Do your children find it threatening and sinister?
We use the paten at the Chapel, it has sharp sides?

I didn't find it necessary, but then again I did see this one video clip on America's funniest home videos where this guy was taking communion. Supposedly the funny part was when the guy accidently hit the ciborum sending the hosts to the floor. >_<

So when it comes to these situations, it may very well be needed ^^;;

Upvote 0

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Is kneeling and on the hand anyway an option to receive communion?
I haven't seen that way so far.
Anybody ever seen that?

It can be. Generally, the national bishops conferences determine the norms on these matters. In the United States, the norm is to stand and receive either in the hand or on the tongue based on the communicant's preference.

Rightfully, the Church has said that one cannot be denied communion for violating a liturgical norm such as not standing (the Eucharist is so central to Catholicism that it would be like life imprisionment for speeding 20 mph above the speed limit). Therefore one could knell and receive in the hand if that is what the communicant does.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Yes the altar server holds it but not touching your neck.

Yes I can remember doing that many times when I was an altar server .

At one Eucharist I was holding the Communion plate under a lady's chin . She opened her mouth , and the top set of her dentures fell out . It was sheer agony trying to stop myself from falling into hysterics . :D

Upvote 0

CMatt25

Feb 15, 2013
✟7,759.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi CMatt!!

Glad to see you here. :)

How have you been doing? It's been a long time.

Yes you'll realise that the Catholics aren't that radical/fundamentalist than the ones on CAF. ;-)

Esdra

Hi Esdra! Thanks. Yes so far I've noticed there seems to be less radicals here and more Catholics here seem to be kinder and live in the real world. :) I've seen you and some others too that I recognize from CAF.

It has been a long time since we lost touch. I'm fine and pray you and your folks have been as well. Tell them hello for me. Especially your dad as I recall he and I were somewhat kindred spirits he said. :)

Thank you for the blessings. I have to figure out yet what PM blessings mean and how I go about using them. But I'm sure I'll catch on eventually.

See you around. God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CMatt25

Feb 15, 2013
✟7,759.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes I can remember doing that many times when I was an altar server .

At one Eucharist I was holding the Communion plate under a lady's chin . She opened her mouth , and the top set of her dentures fell out . It was sheer agony trying to stop myself from falling into hysterics . :D

I don't have dentures and I recall very young having to receive on the tongue. But I don't really like the idea of the priest or Eucharist minister getting there hands so close to my mouth. It just makes me more uncomfortable for some reason than if I use my own hands.

Upvote 0

coach rick

May 1, 2013
✟15,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I usually use my tongue and kneel, but sometimes I feel nervous to kneel in some churches without kneelers, because I don't want to cause a fuss for a priest (what if he has a bad back?!) I know I'm entitled to kneel but I really don't want to cause a fuss. Christ knows my heart and knows my desire to kneel, so I don't see that a big deal if there are no kneelers
Sometimes I go to one knee, which keeps me "tall" enough so that even the taller priests shouldn't have to stoop too far to deliver Jesus on the tongue. In the hand? A "fruit" of Vatican II.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
coach rick said:
Sometimes I go to one knee, which keeps me "tall" enough so that even the taller priests shouldn't have to stoop too far to deliver Jesus on the tongue. In the hand? A "fruit" of Vatican II.

It's far older than V2. St. Justin Martyr attests to communion in the hand being the norm back in the first few centuries of the church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I usually use my tongue and kneel, but sometimes I feel nervous to kneel in some churches without kneelers

I think it's far better to kneel and receive with tongue. At least we should receive with tongue, not with hand, to show our respect for Our Lord.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think it's far better to kneel and receive with tongue. At least we should receive with tongue, not with hand, to show our respect for Our Lord.

Respect comes from the heart.

For me, putting your head back while sticking out your tongue, is an abnormal way to eat. Jesus aid, take and eat.

Also, back when the Church mandated that we receive on the tongue, it had to do with abuse of the Eucharist, where people were putting consecrated host into their pockets and going home. Also, Satan worshipers where taking it to desecrate.

I found have melted host in the pews of the Church over the years. It wouldn't matter if the person had received on the tongue or in their hand.

The lack of respect was due to their ignorance and the fact that they should never have gone up to receive in the first place.

Jim

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my parish, Father has installed kneelers up front for those who wish to receive kneeling. I always receive kneeling and on the tongue.

When I'm visiting another parish, I always receive standing and on the tongue. I never receive in the hand---my hands are not consecrated.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Wolseley said:
In my parish, Father has installed kneelers up front for those who wish to receive kneeling. I always receive kneeling and on the tongue.

When I'm visiting another parish, I always receive standing and on the tongue. I never receive in the hand---my hands are not consecrated.

Is your tongue consecrated?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Defensor Christi

Oct 25, 2012
Florida
✟18,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Part of my problem is I don't like anyone's hands close to my mouth. In RCIA we were taught the receiving in the hand is the most ancient way. I don't think either way indicates what is in the heart.

Yes, I learned my lesson here: #96 ;)

Upvote 0