Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This is known as intinction. It is not permitted in the United States, but I think characterizing it as was done above is disrespectful to those places that practice it (including the Melkite and Coptic Catholic churches). They are our brother and sister Christians and their practices deserve respect.

They do? I didn't know that.
But if they do you're certainly right that we should respect that. :)
I thought with them it's the same as with the Eastern Orthodox Church that the priests use a spoon?

Upvote 0

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Katherine

Melkites and most of the other Eastern churches do administer the Holy Gifts by intinction but under no circumstances do the faithful self intinct

Yes, I know. But the suggestion was that the act of intinction was akin to dunking a donut.

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Anhelyna, KatherineS:

I did'nt do the comparison between intinction and a doughnut dipped in the coffee, but mg0086:

[...]

One Easter during mass, this woman came up and took the host into her hand, carried it to the person serving the Precious Blood and dipped it in the cup like it was some kind of coffee.

The look on the man's face was priceless, as mine would've been. But in all seriousness, I don't think the Eucharist and the Precious Blood should be treated like a piece of sweet bread and coffee.

just for clarification. ;)

Esdra

PS: Anhelyna, do you really think that I write casual?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I know. But the suggestion was that the act of intinction was akin to dunking a donut.

Well Jesus did say, "Take and eat, take and drink," not take and dunk.

Jim

Upvote 0

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Well Jesus did say, "Take and eat, take and drink," not take and dunk.

Jim

That's true. As the Church says, the "fuller sign" is to drink from the chalice and eat the Bread of Heaven. That is why communion in both forms is preferable and the better sign. But I still think those who withhold the chalice or practice intinction should be treated respectfully.

For my friend Esdra, let me say that your English is very much better than my German!

4562776320_8b93797911_z.jpg

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
[..]

For my friend Esdra, let me say that your English is very much better than my German!

Oh, thanks Katherine. :)
Although I don't know how well your German is, so I can't judge. ;)

Oh yes, I remember him, a martyr in the Third Reich. He is blessed in the meantime. :)
Together with Blessed Otto Neururer who was born not far away from where I live.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Prospective Doctor of the Church
Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟10,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is known as intinction. It is not permitted in the United States, but I think characterizing it as was done above is disrespectful to those places that practice it (including the Melkite and Coptic Catholic churches). They are our brother and sister Christians and their practices deserve respect.

Know that I said this without malicious intent. Wonderful how people love to call me out on that when I don't....ugh...nevermind.

And why would it be forbidden in the US if it deserves respect?

If it's because it's not in the Roman rite, then that person shouldn't even take communion in a Roman rite church. I was taught in CCD (particularly when I was making my First Communion) that if it wasn't a Roman Catholic church, I shouldn't take communion in it. I could be wrong, she could've been talking about protestant churches that serve communion, so...

These are just opinions and of not maliciousness so in the same token of respect....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Know that I said this without malicious intent. Wonderful how people love to call me out on that when I don't....ugh...nevermind.

If it's because it's not in the Roman rite, then that person shouldn't even take communion in a Roman rite church. I was taught in CCD (particularly when I was making my First Communion) that if it wasn't a Roman Catholic church, I shouldn't take communion in it. I could be wrong, she could've been talking about protestant churches that serve communion, so...

These are just opinions and of not maliciousness so in the same token of respect....

I guess your teacher meant you shouldn't take communion in a church that isn't in communion with Rome. So you can take communion in eastern Catholic churches if you feel comfortable to do so.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
mg0086 said:

A catholic is permitted to take communion in any church that is a part of the catholic church, regardless of the rite of the person or the church they are attending. The same is true for confession. However, you are required to do so in accordance with the norms of the particular church. So if a Roman Catholic were to receive communion at a Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, they would have to receive according to the Ukrainian tradition.

But you are right in that self-intinction is not allowed in any church or rite in the Catholic Church. However, the priest intincting for the recipient is allowed even in the Roman Rite. It's just not very common, for practical reasons.

However, despite participation in the sacraments and life of a particular church, a catholic remains a member of the church of their birth, baptism, and confirmation, unless they receive a canonical transfer from their bishop, and the bishop of the receiving church.

mg0086, this isn't directed towards you, but just a general observation. Reading this thread, and others, it seems apparent that many people are eager to pronounce on issues about which they are not knowledgeable enough to do so. This is particularly true with regards to the Eastern Churches and their traditions. Part of the problem seems to be just general unfamiliarity with the Eastern practices. But sometime it comes down to outright Roman superiority along the lines of Bishop John Ireland.

In 1891, Ireland refused to accept the credentials of Greek-Catholic priest Alexis Toth, citing the decree that married priests of the Eastern Catholic Churches were not permitted to function in the Catholic Church in the United States, despite Toth being a widower. Ireland then forbade Toth to minister to his own parishioners, despite the fact that Toth had jurisdiction from his own Bishop, and did not depend on Ireland. Ireland was also involved in efforts to expel all Eastern Catholic clergy from the United States of America. Forced into an impasse, Toth went on to lead thousands of Greek-Catholics away from the Catholic Church to join the Russian Orthodox Church. Because of this, Archbishop Ireland is sometimes referred to, ironically, as "The Father of the Orthodox Church in America." Marvin R. O'Connell, author of a biography on Ireland, summarizes the situation by stating that "if Ireland's advocacy of the blacks displayed him at his best, his belligerence toward the Uniates [ Greek Catholics ] showed him at his bull-headed worst."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ireland_(bishop)

We would do well to remember that the traditions of the other suri juris churches of the Catholic Church are just as ancient and venerable as the practices of the Latin Rite of the Roman Church. Sometime more so.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Catholics are allowed to receive Holy Communion at Orthodox Churches, but they don't allow it without getting permission from the pastor.

Orthodox can receive at Catholic Church's, however.

Jim

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
JimR-OCDS said:
Catholics are allowed to receive Holy Communion at Orthodox Churches, but they don't allow it without getting permission from the pastor.

Orthodox can receive at Catholic Church's, however.

Jim

However, they are advised to respect the advise of their own tradition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am just curious. For those of you who receive kneeling and on the tongue, do they still put the paten (that gold plate with sharp sides) right up against your neck?

I remember finding it very threatening and sinister as a young child. Do your children find it threatening and sinister?

Upvote 0

sea oat

Jul 30, 2010
✟8,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Good question. I always attend novus ordo masses, and I've always received standing, and in the hand.

In the local parish in the Swedish town where I'll be moving after I marry, however, they dip part of the wafer in the wine, then place it on the communicant's tongue. It's not self-intinction, mind you. It was still so new to me, though, that when I went to receive, I just stood there with a blank expression on my face, staring at the dipped wafer. My discomfort, and cluelessness were obvious, so I was just given a new wafer on my hand. I felt so embarrassed, but no one was ugly about it, or annoyed.

The priest is Polish, so I almost want to attribute the intinction to being more common in Poland. However, my priest in my parish in America is also from Poland, and no intinction is practiced there. Perhaps it just varies on a case-by-case basis.

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
At this moment 23 receive CITH standing and 4 COTT kneeling. This is a different Catholic forum than the one I came from.

Hi CMatt!!

Glad to see you here. :)

How have you been doing? It's been a long time.

Yes you'll realise that the Catholics aren't that radical/fundamentalist than the ones on CAF. ;-)

Esdra

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am just curious. For those of you who receive kneeling and on the tongue, do they still put the paten (that gold plate with sharp sides) right up against your neck?

I remember finding it very threatening and sinister as a young child. Do your children find it threatening and sinister?

Yes I remember the paten. But I haven't seen it to be used for more than 10 years.

I used to hold it when I served as a kid in church. And that were already novus ordo masses

Upvote 0