Tyrol, Austria
✟29,047.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In my parish it is custom to stand and receive the communion with the hands. Some also receive it by tongue. The last parishoner who received it kneeling by tongue died some years ago at an age of 96.

When I go to other parishes in my area it is also custom to receive standing by hand.

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,047.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Lay-led Eucharistic service... hmm...... wasn't it more a Celebration of the Word with Communion?

Yes I think she meant that.

Here in Austria (Europe) in some parishes this is quite common due to the lack of priests.

'Though I wouldn't say it is like in an Anglican Church, as lay-women doing a Liturgy of the Word don't have (or: aren't allowed) to wear liturgical clothes.

Upvote 0

CatholicAtHeart

Discerning Catholic
Sep 2, 2010
UK
✟15,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Conservative
Yes I think she meant that.

Here in Austria (Europe) in some parishes this is quite common due to the lack of priests.

'Though I wouldn't say it is like in an Anglican Church, as lay-women doing a Liturgy of the Word don't have (or: aren't allowed) to wear liturgical clothes.

I know, but I mean it is weird having a woman distributing Holy Communion :D I walked away like 'did that actually just happen?!'

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,047.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I know, but I mean it is weird having a woman distributing Holy Communion :D I walked away like 'did that actually just happen?!'

In Europe people are used to it. Many lay-women help nowadays also at mass distributing Holy Communion. - And also have to take Liturgy of the Word services more and more often.
Even in a mass led by monks of the Society of Jesus I attended lately 4 women distributed the chalice.

Upvote 0

CatholicAtHeart

Discerning Catholic
Sep 2, 2010
UK
✟15,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Conservative
Ahh well at some churches I go to there are women distributing the precious blood, but (no hate, just my personal opinion, no debate anyone! :D ) I walk past them, I only received the precious body because there was no priest, if there is a priest I don't see why we don't just receive off him, I only see EMs as a necessity if there is no priest. I'm just fussy, eh :D I'm happy with just receiving in one kind, after all - it's the same thing right?

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,047.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ahh well at some churches I go to there are women distributing the precious blood, but (no hate, just my personal opinion, no debate anyone! :D ) I walk past them, I only received the precious body because there was no priest, if there is a priest I don't see why we don't just receive off him, I only see EMs as a necessity if there is no priest. I'm just fussy, eh :D I'm happy with just receiving in one kind, after all - it's the same thing right?

Yes it is the same thing.
But I don't have a problem recieving either the blood or the body from a woman.
Although it's better and more special in a way to get it from a priest or a deacon.
When I was in a Benedictine abbey in the Holy Week this year, it was so refreshing to see so many priests - and the masses were so more beautiful with all the candles and the incense, it was really a great experience.

Upvote 0

CatholicAtHeart

Discerning Catholic
Sep 2, 2010
UK
✟15,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Conservative
Well I'm not saying the male EMs are more acceptable than women, I just find it weird from a woman because of my Anglican heritage when she led the service it felt like she was a priest when I reflected on it afterwards, obviously she isn't and this wasn't a Mass but it's just the feeling I got afterwards

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,047.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well I'm not saying the male EMs are more acceptable than women, I just find it weird from a woman because of my Anglican heritage when she led the service it felt like she was a priest when I reflected on it afterwards, obviously she isn't and this wasn't a Mass but it's just the feeling I got afterwards

Yes, I can see your point. But simply remember: In the Catholic Church a mass is only a mass when a MALE priest celebrates it.
All the other things with male or female EMs or with a deacon only are Liturgies of the Word. (And actually, if you would visit a LotW on a sunday, you wouldn't have fulfilled your duty to go to a mass.)
I suggest you, if you have a monestary near you, got to the masses there. - It's so much more beautiful, I tell you.
I would, if there was a monastery near my place. (The next one is sadly enough 17.5 miles away - and that's too far as I don't have a car.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,047.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ahh none near us.. but the priest was back on Sunday so it's okay! I fulfilled my obligation! We're in a wasteland with like a Catholic Church every 39204930 miles

Wow. Okay then it's not so easy to fall back to another parish.

Upvote 0

CatholicAtHeart

Discerning Catholic
Sep 2, 2010
UK
✟15,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Conservative
Is it just in the U.S. that the precious blood is not stored in the Tabernacle, so when there is no priest, but still a Communion Service, a person can only receive the Body of Our Lord--the consecrated host?

Yes, but if you're querying what I said, the EMs did the Precious Blood during the actual Mass, and they distributed the consecrated host at the service on Saturday :D

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,047.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

The blood is normally consumed after holy communion, at least I've never seen it in any other way. In the tabernacle only the body is stored and given out if there's a liturgy of the word with communion. (, I've never seen a liturgy of the word without communion 'tough)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. When you said that you received only the Body because of the female extraordinary minister, I thought perhaps that you had the option to receive both the Body and the Blood.

For a year or so, we didn't have a priest assigned to us and had Communion services, but we had a Sacramental priest come in to Consecrate the Body and Blood at a Mass each week so we could have Communion service. Those services were actually some psalms and readings, and the Gospel reading with Extraordinary Ministers (male and female) giving out only the Body.

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,047.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you. When you said that you received only the Body because of the female extraordinary minister, I thought perhaps that you had the option to receive both the Body and the Blood.

For a year or so, we didn't have a priest assigned to us and had Communion services, but we had a Sacramental priest come in to Consecrate the Body and Blood at a Mass each week so we could have Communion service. Those services were actually some psalms and readings, and the Gospel reading with Extraordinary Ministers (male and female) giving out only the Body.

Yes, that´s usually the way it is done if there´s no parish priest.

We at least have a deacon. I haven´t seen a Liturgy of the Word service with an EM for quite a while now.

Upvote 0