KATHXOYMENOC

tidbit said:
mel (as in Mel's Diner)
KIZZ (like kiss, but with z's)
uh
deck (like on your back porch)

mel-KIZZ-uh-deck

At least that's how we say it in Texas.

Yes, that's how everyone learned to pronounce it, yours truly included - even before I moved to Texas! - but in both the Greek and the Hebrew, the accent is on the third syllable. And by NT times, the Greek accent indicated syllable stress, not a tone change. So, assuming that the later-added-accents (both by the Greeks and the Hebrews) were correct, Paul would have pronounced it MelchiSEdek. And Tsedek being a segholate in Hebrew, per the vowel marks, the accent in Hebrew for sure would have been on TSE, i.e., MalkiTSEdek.

Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
KATHXOUMENOC said:
Yes, that's how everyone learned to pronounce it, yours truly included - even before I moved to Texas! - but in both the Greek and the Hebrew, the accent is on the third syllable. And by NT times, the Greek accent indicated syllable stress, not a tone change. So, assuming that the later-added-accents (both by the Greeks and the Hebrews) were correct, Paul would have pronounced it MelchiSEdek. And Tsedek being a segholate in Hebrew, per the vowel marks, the accent in Hebrew for sure would have been on TSE, i.e., MalkiTSEdek.

Which is why he went by the name "Melvin" on he playground...

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
KATHXOUMENOC said:

I wasn't doubting you. :thumbsup:

During choir practice a couple of weeks ago, we were joking about the different pronunciations of words in the Orthodox church from what we learned in childhood.

Like Habakkuk, impious, Melchisedek, Siloam . . . . I'm sure there are others, too.

Mary

Upvote 0
K

KATHXOYMENOC

Mary of Bethany said:
I wasn't doubting you. :thumbsup:

During choir practice a couple of weeks ago, we were joking about the different pronunciations of words in the Orthodox church from what we learned in childhood.

Like Habakkuk, impious, Melchisedek, Siloam . . . . I'm sure there are others, too.

Mary
It's like everything else - we pick and choose which words to pronounce like the natives or "correctly," and which not to. E.g., most of us pronounce the city in France the same way we do Paris, Texas. On the other hand, when we make a mistake, we don't say that we made a "fox pass." So there is nothing inherently wrong with pronouncing his name Mel-KI-zedek. E.g., we all say "Moses," even though in the Hebrew it's Mo-SHEH, and we say "JEE-zuz" when in the Greek it's ee-SOOS or eeyay-SOOS. We say CRY-st for "Christ" when in both NT and Modern Greek there is no "eye" sound.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟70,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was in court on special term a few years ago. "Special term" is where all the weird stuff goes.

Anyway, some guy was changing his legal name to Melchizedek just before our little motion to vacate judment. Neither he nor the judge could really pronounce the name. They both sort of agreed on mel CHEEZ uh deck.

Somehow I don't think that's correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThePilgrim

Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
✟10,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
tidbit said:
That would be pretty sad if you couldn't pronounce your own name.

I figure a person can pronounce their name any way they see fit. If my name is spelled 's-m-i-t-h' and I want to pronounce it 'doorknob', then that's my right.

Forgive me, too.
'I know it's spelled "Raymond Luxury Yacht" but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove..."'

(Wondering if anyone gets the Monty Python reference...)

Grace and peace,
John

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.