Not open for further replies.

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've heard it said like: "kris-sis-tum" and also "kris-SOS-tum" with the second syllable stressed. What is the right pronunciation?

Also, I've been reading St. John Chrysostom's homilies on the Acts of the Apostles. I was thinking of collecting together the quotes from the homilies that I really like and saving them for future reference. Would anyone be interested if I posted Chrysostom's Quotables here as I found them?

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's Χρυσόστομος in Greek, if that helps. In which case, it would be kri-SOS-tom. The Latins, of course, wrote it Chrysostomus, draw your own conclusions about what that would cause the English to be. Either works, really, but pedants like the more pedantic one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I love it when other people ask about pronunciation. I read all the time, and I don't know how to pronounce half of the words that I know. It's funny, the first time I said epiphany (a long time ago, I've improved since this) I said ep-i-fan-ee

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.