Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 3, 2012
✟15,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is supposed to sound wise, I guess, but whatever you understand the Bible to be saying---that's an interpretation. By a human, yes.

NO.

1 Corinthians 2:13
13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words.[a]

If you say HUMAN, then you are ULTIMATELY WRONG. If you have the SPIRIT of GOD he will show you the TRUTH and TEACH YOU..

John 16:13
13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

John 14:26
26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

1 John 2:27
27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

ARE YOU SURE that IT HAS TO BE HUMAN INTERPRETATION???

Again,

13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom
but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words.[a]

Romans 8:14
14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.

Please analyze carefully before.... hmm...

Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I would hope everyone here is wise enough to see phrases like

"except among pentecostals"

"it is clear"

palm to face expressions....

etc etc... as not worthy of real responses because you aren't receiving them from that kind of person. These are tactics and knee jerk reactions... not careful, considerate, fair responses to your ideas. The consideration is really over in this thread... both sides believe what they do and they've shown why and aren't really even considering the other side anymore and we are now just defending our own positions.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is why this topic is one of those dangerous grey area topics where there are a thousand views and a thousand people all thinking they are right. God says not to over think things in the bible, don't create your own interpration of what something means. Read it for how it is. Don't go "Well maybe he meant this..." or "Maybe its really a riddle that means....".

Of course yet again we circle back around to who is actually right since we all see it from diffrent views? In the end it won't send you to hell for thinking of it how you want. We should spend less time arguing about whats right or wrong and focus on God.

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
That is supposed to sound wise, I guess, but whatever you understand the Bible to be saying---that's an interpretation. By a human, yes.

I assume you have something against pentecostals? Very nice.

I you believe it, you've interpreted it. :doh:

No need of 'DOH' I have not interpreted it in your own way ok? I do not agree with you. I agree with the Bible and the Spirit from God who lives in me.
Heaven has its own language. not English, not any other language known to man. I dont care if anyone believes me or not. I know what I know.

Your own view is from man like yourself. Why should I believe what you or anyone says over what The Bible and Holy Spirit teaches me.

Since you say you'd believe your interpretation of the Bible over any man's interpretation, show us where the Bible says that "Heaven has its own language." Thanks.

Refer to what the OP has written after you. He has cited many verses, therefore that is already disqualified anything you have to say about tongues of angels being hyperbole.

NO.

13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words.[a]

well said

If you say HUMAN, then you are ULTIMATELY WRONG. If you have the SPIRIT of GOD he will show you the TRUTH and TEACH YOU.

well said.

As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

Exactly my point here!!:thumbsup: The Holy Spirit teaches me A LOT. I dont gain what I know from man. Its by The Spirit of God. When I stress on a topic I know what Im talking about. Not saying man cannot teach, but when it comes to some deep biblical stuffs, ONLY the Holy Spirit teaches the REAL TRUTH. I dont need anyone else to teach me.

:)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Refer to what the OP has written after you. He has cited many verses

We can all cite verses. Some people pick verses out at random.

That doesn't make their interpretations correct. Often they merely find a word that has been used in our discussions and then proclaim that it supports them.

IOW, it's important to give a little thought to what has been explained before saying something like "you have something against pentecostals," which is another way of saying "I don't have an answer." :doh:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
We can all cite verses. Some people pick verses out at random.

God's words is not ;picking verses at random. You have come to the point where your sense of biblical reasoning is clouded. I agree with Briareos that your posts require no real response anymore so this will be my last response. You are not reasonable, and in the biblical sense.

That doesn't make their interpretations correct. Often they merely find a word that has been used in our discussions and then proclaim that it supports them.

You have got to be kidding me. What makes your interpretation of 'angels tongue is hyperbole' correct! Don't need an answer I wont be answering back anyway. Nowhere in the Bible does it say tongues of angel is hyperbole or exaggeration or whatever you call it. Its man like you who made it up, so anyone who believes that is stupid to.

IOW, it's important to give a little thought to what has been explained before saying something like "you have something against pentecostals," which is another way of saying "I don't have an answer." :doh:

Keep saying Doh, it does not change the fact that you should be saying it to yourself because you are the one who sounds a bit...uh...well....

Have a nice day man. Cant be bothered with your pointless posts and reasoning anymore.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Keep saying Doh, it does not change the fact that you should be saying it to yourself because you are the one who sounds a bit...uh...well....

Have a nice day man.

...and you too, brother. Don't let Satan turn you angry or resentful of other believers over small matters of doctrine, which glossolalia surely is. The love of God, the sacrifice His Son made for us, and the trustworthiness of his Word, all unite us.

:wave:

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
A lot of the controversy and dispute around the gift of tongues arises from a lack of good knowledge about the nature and practice of the gift through fragmentary teaching and the adding of unsubstantiated theory about tongues by different denominations.

Also, there are many different experiences associated with the gift of tongues that mask what it really is, and how it should be received.

There are some who believe that a person needs to be hyped up with emotion before being able to speak, and this comes from early 20th Century experiences when this actually did happen to the early Pentecostals. So they made a doctrine out of it. Sadly, even though the initial experiences may have been from the Spirit to introduce the gift, any subsequent experiences of this nature have been of the flesh to try and create an emotional environment where people can get baptised with the Spirit and be able to speak in tongues.

There is a lot of theory been added to tongues that Paul never mentioned. There are dangers associated with adding doctrine to what is actually taught in Scripture. Many groups have added 1 plus 1 equals 3 when it came to devising doctrine about tongues.

Many divorce the practice of tongues from other important Christian doctrinal principles. The Scripture says that without faith it is impossible to please God. He doesn't care about emotional hype. This is not faith. Religious fervour was a feature of the Pharisees, and Jesus rebuked them.

Faith is merely believing God's Word. Emotion always follows faith, not the other way around.

Therefore, the baptism with the Spirit is received through faith after following Scriptural steps:
1. Asking for it
2. Receiving it by faith
3. Believing that the person is now filled with the Spirit.

All this can be achieved by cold blooded faith without any emotion at all. God's Word says that if I ask for anything in His will I will receive it. So I ask, then receive. It is as simple as that. Then I start behaving as if I am filled with the Spirit, because I am doing it on the basis of my belief in the promises contained in God's Word.

Tongues is a gift of the Spirit. If I am Spirit filled, then I can speak in tongues. Therefore I start speaking in faith, believing that the words I am speaking is a language that God understands. I make up the language in faith. I form the words in faith. I believe that the words I am making up is a language that God understands. Why? Because I am believing that I have received from God what I asked for. I know that in order to activate my faith I have to do something that demonstrates that I have faith. James says that he demonstrates his faith by what he does. So I demonstrate my faith that I have received the gift of tongues by making up a language that I believe God understands.

If I wait for some sort of force to come up and take over my voice and tongue then it is not faith. If I based my belief in that, then I might get a counterfeit instead of the real thing. Maybe a lot of "Spirit filled" people have received counterfeits because they looked for some kind of sensory or emotional experience before they could believe they were filled with the Spirit. The devil is always there to give them an emotional or sensory experience if that is what they are seeking.

But faith is a cold blooded and calculated action based on a belief in God's promise in His Word that if I have asked for the filling of the Spirit, and said to the Lord, "I receive it from you." and then started to make up the tongues language in faith, then I would have no doubt that what I have received is the genuine filling of the Spirit and the gift of tongues, because I have approached God on the basis of faith and not on emotional or sensory feelings.

Of course, the emotions are going to follow, because there is a sense of love, peace and joy following the realisation that one is filled with the Spirit. But these emotions and feelings are always on the basis of the fruit of the Spirit as stated in Galatians 5.

Most of the problems associated with tongues is how they are practiced in many churches, inconsistent with Paul's teaching in 1 Corinthians 14. Most tongues speakers who are complying with Paul's teaching would never be heard speaking in tongues during public church services, unless they were giving a specific tongues message that was immediately interpreted for the benefit of the hearers.

Much of the public uninterpreted tongues speaking in churches could very well be for religious show, trying to impress others with superior spirituality, etc. These would be of the flesh and not of the Spirit. The gift of tongues is a tool to be used for enhancing and empowering prayer. It is the same with a mechanic's set of tools. What would you say about a mechanic who spent all his time waving his spanners around showing everyone what a fine mechanic he is, instead of getting under the car and using the tools to fix it? That's what a lot of tongues speakers do in public services. They "wave" the gift of tongues around so that others will be impressed with their spirituality, instead of getting with God in private and using the gift as it should be used. Jesus said that these people will receive no other reward than the praise that others might give them for their supposed spirituality. You know, "Look at me. I am spiritual. I am close to God. I speak in tongues!" Well, how about that. It might very well be that all your steam is going out through the whistle instead of through the driving wheels!

I'm probably going to attract another lot of controversial comments over this, but there you are...

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The gift of speaking in "tongues" is nothing more than speaking in a known foreign language acquired by the Spirit giving it to you. You may choose to use it in prayer, or when singing. The Bible never teaches that tongues is a heavenly language unknown on earth.
^that^

I was taught when the tower of babel stuff happened and people didn't understand each other, they said they were speaking in tounges or something like that. Its why when an agel spoke to someone, the angel spoke their language. I basically think of tounges as someone who is a modern day translator.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

jdbear

Tongues was used to spread the gospel.

And how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born?—we hear them in our own tongues speaking of the mighty deeds of God.” Acts 2:8-11

Paul taught that the gift of tongues was for the benefit of unbelievers

tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers...1 Cor.14:22

Upvote 0
Aug 3, 2012
✟15,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...and you too, brother. Don't let Satan turn you angry or resentful of other believers over small matters of doctrine, which glossolalia surely is. The love of God, the sacrifice His Son made for us, and the trustworthiness of his Word, all unite us.

:wave:

This topic is for CHRISTIANS who experienced SPEAKING in OTHER TONGUES.. But I'm SURPRISED that many who doesn't understand nor have EXPERIENCED it, is replying to this thread.. or commenting their views about it.

The question is, before you reply to this thread..
DO you EXPERIENCED the VERSE

Romans 8:26

26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.

If not. Do not reply to this THREAD please..

Hmm..'Do not JUDGE the BOOK by ITS COVER'

What I'm saying is, do not reply to this thread if you don't experience the speaking in other tongues..

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well truth is because so many have abused tounges in church by falsley doing it, it has now created this atmosphere of disbelief when it it actually does happen. I know a few people in the past from churches we went to who admitted later on in life that they pretended to use it at church to become the center of attention. Or in some cases some admit they mumbled random things out hoping it would turn into tounges and ended up sticking with the story that it was tounges. But obviously later had to confess it wasm't.

I've always had the gift of discernment and I've seen actual tounges maybe twice at the most. All the other times I felt it was being staged and indeed later it turned out it was.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Aug 3, 2012
✟15,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry for posting. I thought your original post was asking how to speak in tongues.

It is okay :))

He has just come frustrated at the number of responses he has received that undermine what he believes on the topic, that is all, I feel for him.

Hmm.. Sorry? It is just your feeling brother.. ^^, My point is, the verse I've qouted so so so so many many many times Rom8:26 if they have experienced it. Then they will know what TONGUES are, what are false and not. So if they do not experience it, they just have to read and don't reply.

Why?

Because A person cannot understand what tongues are if he didn't experienced the verse. The views of them are from other people about tongues, or from their own interpretation.. so dissapointed .. Maybe I'm frustrated for those who think they know tongues but didn't experienced it.

That is called JUDGING the GIFT without even experiencing it. Please experience it first before you reply.. THankS! ^^,

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Romans 8:26

26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.

If not. Do not reply to this THREAD please..

Hmm..'Do not JUDGE the BOOK by ITS COVER'

What I'm saying is, do not reply to this thread if you don't experience the speaking in other tongues..

You are completely misinformed. That verse does not describe speaking in tongues. If you are interested in the truth, then listen to what many Christians have been telling you. But if you'd rather go on believing in a lie, then go on and ignore us.

The verse you referenced says that the Holy Spirit will intercede for us. You assume this means it will cause us to babble nonsensible sounds that God will understand, but that's not what scripture says. What it says is that when we are stressed out, and we don't even know what to ask for, the Holy Spirit knows what we need.

The gift of tongues is a gift that allows some Christians to speak in real human languages, for the benefit of the people who understand them. It does not include the "tongues of angels," which, by the way, I would very much hope sound more majestic than, "Habba jawa babalaka ding dong!" People who say otherwise are just misquoting Paul and putting words in his mouth.

It was used from the beginning and for as long as it has existed to spread the gospel to people who speak other languages. Paul even made a rule that no one was allowed to speak in tongues if there was no one there to interpret them.

Today, we have churches filled with people who think they can speak in tongues. You walk in, and it's like a free-for-all babbling competition, people screaming their meaningless words at the top of their lungs. For one thing, nobody can follow all of this mess, so even if they were speaking in tongues, they'd be violating its purpose from the start. But Paul also made another interesting rule that these people ignore: no more than two or three are allowed to speak in tongues in one meeting. Again, if it's not understood by someone, it's nothing but a loud useless noise.

Some also believe that the gift of tongues equals evidence of salvation, that if the Holy Spirit is in you, you will speak in tongues. This is even more nonsense. Paul called this the least of the gifts, not the essential gift people today make it out to be. Paul also said that some will have it, not all. We are a body of believers, each one of us something unique. None of us have every gift, and no gift is shared by all believers.

I believe that all of the gifts are still around, although the gift of tongues may have become somewhat obsolete with the abundance of trained interpreters we have now. I think it's pretty safe to say that at least 99.9999% of people who claim to have the gift of tongues are just fooling themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
You are completely misinformed. That verse does not describe speaking in tongues. If you are interested in the truth, then listen to what many Christians have been telling you. But if you'd rather go on believing in a lie, then go on and ignore us.

The verse you referenced says that the Holy Spirit will intercede for us. You assume this means it will cause us to babble nonsensible sounds that God will understand, but that's not what scripture says. What it says is that when we are stressed out, and we don't even know what to ask for, the Holy Spirit knows what we need.

The gift of tongues is a gift that allows some Christians to speak in real human languages, for the benefit of the people who use them. It does not include the "tongues of angels," which, by the way, I would very much hope sound more majestic than, "Habba jawa babalaka ding dong!" People who say otherwise are just misquoting Paul and putting words in his mouth.

It was used from the beginning and for as long as it has existed to spread the gospel to people who speak other languages. Paul even made a rule that no one was allowed to speak in tongues if there was no one there to interpret them.

Today, we have churches filled with people who think they can speak in tongues. You walk in, and it's like a free-for-all babbling competition, people screaming their meaningless words at the top of their lungs. For one thing, nobody can follow all of this mess, so even if they were speaking in tongues, they'd be violating its purpose from the start. But Paul also made another interesting rule that these people ignore: no more than two or three are allowed to speak in tongues in one meeting. Again, if it's not understood by someone, it's nothing but a loud useless noise.

Some also believe that the gift of tongues equals evidence of salvation, that if the Holy Spirit is in you, you will speak in tongues. This is even more nonsense. Paul called this the least of the gifts, not the essential gift people today make it out to be. Paul also said that some will have it, not all. We are a body of believers, each one of each offering something unique. None of us have every gift, and no gift is shared by all believers.

I believe that all of the gifts are still around, although the gift of tongues may have become somewhat obsolete with the abundance of trained interpreters we have now. I think it's pretty safe to say that at least 99.9999% of people who claim to have the gift of tongues are just fooling themselves.

You, my friend are way off limit and so wrong in many ways, its not even worth a long response.
I hope you are not preaching all the above to people? I really hope so, because its so ignorant, judgemental and utterly wrong. I hope the Lord will minister to you

Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Yeh what little reason he did have was drowned in pure unabashed self indulgence and lack of regard.

Argumentum ad nauseum... I can't tell how many times i've heard that "Paul never said that, it was only for this" the very simplest of errors proclaimed to the be of the greatest significance but I guess if they yell it loud enough, long enough... it will one day be true.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.