Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Success will be measured on Judgment Day when our lives will be judged by Jesus.

Matt 25:23 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

That was not supposed to be funny. I accidentally pressed the funny button when I meant to press agree.

• Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Depends on where ones treasure lies and if they arrive there.

For some money is their god and so they measure success according to bank account.
For some success is dependent on a happy family life.
For some it is based on how they will be remembered
On and on and on.

To some it is measured by Matthew 25:23 and what we hear when it matters.

But honestly, one is successful if they achieve whatever it is they pursue...... the value of that success in that pursuit is another issue.

That makes sense.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Pfft... Success is so relative. I was married for twenty years and raised two children who are now happy and healthy. My son loves his job and works for Facebook and is about to propose to a beautiful redhead whom he adores. My daughter is about to give birth to twins and is happily married to a responsible and honorable member of the US military.

Am I successful? I am 50lbs overweight and make under $50k a year. I'm a loser by a lot of standards. I drive a 4yr old pickup and work as an unimportant and unappreciated drone in a corporation that most have never heard of.

I don't have a girlfriend and my wife left me. But, I am loved by God and a child of the King. I am a member of the kingdom of Heaven and saved by grace.

My sins are forgiven and I love the Lord. I am on the right side of good and evil.

I think the status of my 401k and the size of my house is pretty inconsequential, in the grand scheme of things...

Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟262,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you consider someone more successful than you because of a degree they may have and you don't have? Or is it the amount of money people make? There are people who own their own businesses and never stepped into a college, and yet they are rich.

How do you measure success?

It is known that the man with the most toys doesn’t win.

But the man with the most Christ does.

“Run that we might win the race.”

Much love Not me

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
I measure success by gratitude. If you are eternally greatful, then you will always be succesful.

Gratitude means never taking anything for granted, by placing TIME over money, and with a primary focus on being the best person that you can possibly be.

I spend around 70% of my time in prayer saying thank you - gratitude is what I want most.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I measure success by gratitude. If you are eternally greatful, then you will always be succesful.

Gratitude means never taking anything for granted, by placing TIME over money, and with a primary focus on being the best person that you can possibly be.

I spend around 70% of my time in prayer saying thank you - gratitude is what I want most.

I think that's good. It's hard for me to be grateful sometimes.

Upvote 0

deusartemlux

Solus Christus
Jan 25, 2018
Alabama
✟17,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
This is probably a very unpopular opinion, but I'm pretty sure "success" is a cultural construction-- a creation of the human mind. I don't hear about it in the bible (like ever). Even if I were to say success is some virtue, it has zilch to do with me and all about glorifying God. So could we consider the prodigal son successful? Or the lost sheep? Even when we hear the words "Well done good and faithful servant" was that because of our success?

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some insights from a missionary that I listened to speak this morning. He serves the persecuted church in war-torn areas of the middle east. Things it isn't: Freedom, education, money. From that, I believe it's courage and knowing our identity in God.

Edit: Those are just the things that were off the top of my head when I saw this thread. But I would also add that success could be measured by a life that is obedient to whatever God calls that person to do, despite the results, little or much. Because at the end of the day I don't get a flip what people think or say. It's God who is going judge me for the life I live here on earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you consider someone more successful than you because of a degree they may have and you don't have? Or is it the amount of money people make? There are people who own their own businesses and never stepped into a college, and yet they are rich.

How do you measure success?

I've known waaaay more college graduates with degrees who don't know what they're doing in life, let alone unable to find work in the field they studied in, than those who simply worked their way to career success in a field that will always be needed, thus providing steady and stable work. In fact, seeing so many people fail and flounder career wise after college was one of the key deciding factors into my choosing not to go to college. Honestly, IMO, the 'hard' way is far less intimidating and difficult to me.

Anyway, I think I measure success in various ways. Because success doesn't stop at how much money you make and how good a job you have. It extends to marriage, parenting, health, accomplishing goals, being comfortable with yourself, ect. also.

Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I would say it's the quality of what someone achieves, rather than the quantity of it. For instance, it doesn't matter how many friends a person has, but the depth and authenticity of those friendships.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is probably a very unpopular opinion, but I'm pretty sure "success" is a cultural construction-- a creation of the human mind. I don't hear about it in the bible (like ever). Even if I were to say success is some virtue, it has zilch to do with me and all about glorifying God. So could we consider the prodigal son successful? Or the lost sheep? Even when we hear the words "Well done good and faithful servant" was that because of our success?

Yes, that is definitely a success.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Some insights from a missionary that I listened to speak this morning. He serves the persecuted church in war-torn areas of the middle east. Things it isn't: Freedom, education, money. From that, I believe it's courage and knowing our identity in God.

Edit: Those are just the things that were off the top of my head when I saw this thread. But I would also add that success could be measured by a life that is obedient to whatever God calls that person to do, despite the results, little or much. Because at the end of the day I don't get a flip what people think or say. It's God who is going judge me for the life I live here on earth.

I guess I need to learn that myself.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My measure of success is just simply being comfortable in my own skin and living a normal life without disability.

I could have genius leveled intellect, win the jackpot lottery, find the love of my life, and I would still be satisfied with living a modest life with a job in a trade and fade into obscurity after I'm dead. Once we're all dead and in eternity, our worldly success will mean nothing, only our bare naked character will matter.

That is true.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've known waaaay more college graduates with degrees who don't know what they're doing in life, let alone unable to find work in the field they studied in, than those who simply worked their way to career success in a field that will always be needed, thus providing steady and stable work. In fact, seeing so many people fail and flounder career wise after college was one of the key deciding factors into my choosing not to go to college. Honestly, IMO, the 'hard' way is far less intimidating and difficult to me.

Anyway, I think I measure success in various ways. Because success doesn't stop at how much money you make and how good a job you have. It extends to marriage, parenting, health, accomplishing goals, being comfortable with yourself, ect. also.

I hope I don't become one of those college students. But I am struggling just to pass my classes. So I do not consider myself successful.

• Optimistic
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I would say it's the quality of what someone achieves, rather than the quantity of it. For instance, it doesn't matter how many friends a person has, but the depth and authenticity of those friendships.

I never thought of it that way.

Reactions: Rigatoni
Upvote 0