How do you let go of someone you thought was your soul mate?

pinkjess

There she goes...at the speed of sound
Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I was in what I thought was a long distance relationship with this guy I met online. We talked all the time and had alot in common and I truly felt perhaps God put him my way for a reason. I had been dealing with bad loneliness for a while and cried to God about it, asking for a friend or a connection. I thought this guy was God's answer. Even though we havent met in person ive had a great experience sharing thoughts with this guy.

He has issues and is planning on getting help , but lately ive been getting "tugs" at my heart that feel like something is wrong. Like maybe God is trying to get my attention. I've prayed asking Him to reveal it to me, and I'm coming to the conclusion that perhaps this relationship I've been a part of is coming to an end. Maybe God is telling me He wants my friendship with this man to end.

I'm not panicking or anything. If God says no He has a good reason. I'll obey and let it fade. But I'm worried about the returning loneliness that will come once me and this guy stop talking. In the months before i met him, i'd get these twinges of aching emptiness in my chest that literally almost hurt. I felt so lonely and wanted friends so bad. After i met him, it was like we instantly connected. I thought we were soul friends. It's going to be hard to come down from that.

sunshine100

Love God Love people
Site Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Florida
✟121,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was in what I thought was a long distance relationship with this guy I met online. We talked all the time and had alot in common and I truly felt perhaps God put him my way for a reason. I had been dealing with bad loneliness for a while and cried to God about it, asking for a friend or a connection. I thought this guy was God's answer. Even though we havent met in person ive had a great experience sharing thoughts with this guy.

He has issues and is planning on getting help , but lately ive been getting "tugs" at my heart that feel like something is wrong. Like maybe God is trying to get my attention. I've prayed asking Him to reveal it to me, and I'm coming to the conclusion that perhaps this relationship I've been a part of is coming to an end. Maybe God is telling me He wants my friendship with this man to end.

I'm not panicking or anything. If God says no He has a good reason. I'll obey and let it fade. But I'm worried about the returning loneliness that will come once me and this guy stop talking. In the months before i met him, i'd get these twinges of aching emptiness in my chest that literally almost hurt. I felt so lonely and wanted friends so bad. After i met him, it was like we instantly connected. I thought we were soul friends. It's going to be hard to come down from that.
I'm so sorry to hear this you are in my prayers

• Friendly
Reactions: pinkjess
Upvote 0

sunshine100

Love God Love people
Site Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Florida
✟121,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you :) it's sad but I'm glad i got to experience what a relationship might have been like even if it wasn't in real life
:) your welcome and don't ever give up on hope and love

• Friendly
Reactions: pinkjess
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm worried about the returning loneliness that will come once me and this guy stop talking.
He can make you feel good, but if you stay in weakness for loneliness while depending on him, he can hurt you, too. God can make us strong in His love, so we can not be hurt by loneliness and other suffering.

I'm glad i got to experience what a relationship might have been like even if it wasn't in real life
If we grow in love in Jesus, we will keep discovering better than the best we have had in the past. Our loving will be with more and more people who are helping us find out how to love.

So, depending on just one person who is like you is not the way to grow and keep discovering how God has us love.

I would say spend time with a number of different mature Christian people, including senior elderly couples. And enjoy listening to what they think.

Be patient.

• Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was in what I thought was a long distance relationship with this guy I met online.

You were. And very often long distance relationships are based on very limited similarities in language skills, but not personality types.

Many do work out and people get married. Many more do not work out.

But "real life" is like that too. You likely meet 300 people before you date one. Don't think LD relationships are better odds. There is no reason they should be.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟993,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've prayed asking Him to reveal it to me, and I'm coming to the conclusion that perhaps this relationship I've been a part of is coming to an end. Maybe God is telling me He wants my friendship with this man to end.

I'm not panicking or anything. If God says no He has a good reason. I'll obey and let it fade.

I am glad to see that you at least feel you have direction from God on this one and just aren't left confused and uncertain, Pinkjess. :) Please trust and obey if He does in fact say no, to leave this friendship, even if you fear hurting from loneliness again as a result. I will pray, however, that He gives you peace from the pain of such things no matter what He has decided for you, however. :angel:

Upvote 0

pinkjess

There she goes...at the speed of sound
Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I am glad to see that you at least feel you have direction from God on this one and just aren't left confused and uncertain, Pinkjess. :) Please trust and obey if He does in fact say no, to leave this friendship, even if you fear hurting from loneliness again as a result. I will pray, however, that He gives you peace from the pain of such things no matter what He has decided for you, however. :angel:
Thank you very much

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He has issues and is planning on getting help , but lately ive been getting "tugs" at my heart that feel like something is wrong.

online friendships are just friendships, no matter how well one gets on with that person.

You have felt something is wrong, even if you don't know what it is, so grieve for the loss of a friend and get out there where people are.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

There is no quick fix, to mourning the loss of a relationship. You just have to mourn for lost dreams and relationships. It takes time, and some sorrow.

As for the pain of loneliness.... someone else will have to help you with that. I feel my best, when I'm alone, and no one is there to hurt me and cause me pain. Nothing worse than having people in your life that hurt you. Being alone is much better, and happier.

I think my only advice would be that after you mourn this loss, and take a month or two where you just take a break, and grieve a little.....

I personally am not a fan of long distance relationships. As in, just meeting some random person online, I just do not see that this works very often. What you are going through now, is what I typically see in long-distance relationships.

I am not saying it never works, just that it is not often. I can think of dozens of couples that met online, and then things go badly. The person isn't anything close to what you think they are. Too often people tend to have this romantic view, and heap onto this other person unrealistic expectations, because you don't really know who that person is.

The only online relationships that I see work on a consistent basis, are those built on the idea of marriage, right from the very start.

This is why mail order bride sites, still even today have an 80% success rate. But understand the difference between a bride site, verse a dating site.

On dating sites, like Tinder, or mingle.com like sites, people just go there to find a boyfriend or girlfriend, or a causal 'relationship'. Almost by definition you end up with loose short term and shallow relationships.

The same is true when you bump into a random person online.

But marriage sites, like Rose Bride and such, the entire reason the women is on there is to get married. The only reason a guy goes to such a site, is to get married. Both people are walking into the relationship with the understanding and expectation, this is for marriage, and if we are not a match for that purpose, we move on.

A couple has a higher chance of success when both people are looking for something real and long term to begin with. When marriage is the goal, and expectation from the start, it weeds out people who are not looking for that.

It also reduces the chance of you being hurt by a failed relationship, because when you go in with a set standard of marriage, if the other person determine, or you determine that the two of you are not a match, they usually figure this out pretty quickly.

You tend to not get wrapped up in someone, only to find they had no intention of marrying from the start.

So what can we learn from this?

You need to put your profile on a brides site?
Well... maybe... but that isn't necessarily the answer.

What you need to do is set expectations from the start. I'm a big fan of saying openly at the start "I do not want a boy friend. I'm looking for a husband".

Few people do this, but the few that do, have better results.

When I was back in the dating game, I often would say very openly "I do not want a girlfriend. I am looking for a wife"... and it worked. Many would disappear. That sounds bad, but it is actually a good thing, because it weeded out those who were not serious.

Better you have fewer people interested in you, and have those few be a better quality of people, looking for something real.

That's my best advice. I wish you the best.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums