• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How Do You Know You're In The Right Church?

DaBronx

Mar 10, 2005
New Jersey
✟16,289.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lately I've been feeling a little disillusioned with the church I am currently attending and I am having thoughts about finding a new place.

When I first went (as a visitor) people were extremely welcoming, nice, and very inviting and sooner rather than later my husband and I decided to stick around as we were new to the area and didn't really know where else to go anyway. We live in a new State.

But this congergation is made up of one particular race and everytime I attend it seems that they want to keep it that way...My husband and I are feeling more and more left out and the Pastor is beginning to preach partly in their own language - which they all know we don't understand - yes, he'll translate but we can't help but feel like this is a nuisance to them (he will struggle with transaltion and ask members of the congregation how to translate.)

They are constantly making comments about their own country and customs and even continue conversations in their native tongue even after we have entered the room or sat down to eat with them during fellowship time.

We wondered how to bring this up without sounding whiney but don't really know how...

OR

Should we take this as a sign that this is just not the right kind of church for us?

Opinions, Comments, and Advice please!

Thank you :)

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you leave the church feeling satisfied and fullfilled? If your questioning whether it's the right church or not, I'd take some time and pray about it. Then if you feel the Lord wants you to move on and has some place else for you. Start exploring other churches and it's kinda fun going around and seeing their different styles. Try a different one each week until you get that blessing within of comfort and confirmation. God will let you know where he wants you to be.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
DaBronx said:
No, I don't :(

But I do look forward to going...However, once I am there I'm like "Ugh"

Well, there you go. If you aren't being fullfilled and satisfied, then you're probably not in the right church. I understand you looking forward to going. I always look forward to my time at church because it's a good opportunity for fellowship. But at the right church you will find good fellowship and good teaching that will enrich you.

I've been to a variety of churches, some were really interesting. I actually grew up in this church I'm at now but tried experimenting around as an adult to see what else was out there. The ministry changed in this church about 15-20 years ago, so it's alot different from the teaching that was there when I was a child. It use to be strict Assembly of God, now it's a non-denominational church. I feel ministered to deep within my spirit. It's satisfying and uplifting. I feel that I'm growing. But I am open to the possibility that God may move me on one day.

Upvote 0

DaBronx

Mar 10, 2005
New Jersey
✟16,289.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is that it? The tell-tale sign?

I remember reading somewhere that if you "don't like" your Pastor (are bored or whatever) that it is a sign of your own lack of comittment or something like that...That we are not supposed to go to church to be "entertained" (not sure I totally agreed.)

Also someone once told me that one of the signs of a "dead" church is when you don't see growth...
This one that I'm talking about is not growing, I think a lot has to do with their being so exclusive, during a Bible study class there was a huge discussion about how they wouldn't know how to handle if a gay person were to want to join the church...I was like WHAT????? You can imagine where the discussion went from there!

Anyway...please tell me if you believe it's THE tell-tale sign...Not feeling fulfilled...Because this is how I feel and was afraid it might be an attack of satan.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I think I'd be like WHAT??? too. Sounds like a red flag being thrown up in front of you. Or a big STOP sign. I'd be like, Huh? I'm sure you have things like that and the language thing that have brought you to this place that have caused you pause.

And what I mean by fullfilled and satisfied is God's word is suppose to feed your hunger. It's our nourishment that helps us grow. You ever see a baby when it's hungry, it cries and won't stop till it's fed. If you just gave it a bottle of water or pacifier, it wouldn't fullfill him. He would be quiet for a little bit, but then would just be hungry and become malnourished. It needs good food in order to grow properly. Just like we do.

I'd really take the time to pray about this situation. I'm sure God will direct you. Or even try talking to some people in your community that are involved in area churches. If you don't know any, try calling and talking to a few pastors on the phone. Some will be willing to take the time to talk to you to let you know about their church.

Reactions: DaBronx
Upvote 0