How do you know that you are saved- born again?

Cheylynn

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2017
Vancouver Island
✟112,033.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being born again was first spoken by Jesus and As bible believing Christians this is not optional, if you don't agree, please explain using scripture to back up your reasoning.
For those who say they are born again, please give an explanation as to why they believe this - thanks!

SpiritSong

The LORD is my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
Southeastern United States
✟148,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
John 3 [Full Chapter]
[ The New Birth ] Now there was a certain man among the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler (member of the Sanhedrin) among the Jews, who came to Jesus at night and said to Him, “Rabbi (Teacher), we know [without any doubt] that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs [these wonders, these attesting miracles] that You do unless God is with him.” Jesus answered him, “I assure you and most solemnly say to you, unless a person is born again [reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, sanctified], he cannot [ever] see and experience the kingdom of God.” ...

• Agree
Reactions: Cheylynn
Upvote 0

r4.h

Feb 11, 2018
Hamilton
✟20,810.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 John 3:9 I do not practice wilful sin.
Roman 6:12 I do not let sin reign in my mortal body.
1 Jn 5:4 By faith I overcome the world
Romans 8:16 The Spirit of God bears witness with my spirit.

I do not mean that a believer cannot be overcome by some strong temptation and sin. Also if they dont get victory, thus getting stuck in it, that they may begin to doubt their salvation and FEEL separated from God. This is natural consequence and strong motivation to press closer to God and not fall into sin again by carelessness or lack of discipline.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being born again was first spoken by Jesus and As bible believing Christians this is not optional, if you don't agree, please explain using scripture to back up your reasoning.
For those who say they are born again, please give an explanation as to why they believe this - thanks!
Jesus said to Nicodemus, in John 3, "anOthen" which is first the prefixed preposition meaning "up", "above" and the enclitic of source meaning "from" literally translated means: "above-from" or, "from-above". It has no meaning of "again" or, "re".

The word translated "born" is gennaO and refers to lineage and usually refers to the child of a man.

Therefore, our lineage is "from above" establishing our authority as God's children as citizens of the ouranoi--skies(heaven), "from-above" while here on gE--land.

I'm sorry that it has never been translated that way but, Jesus is leading Nicodemus, and us, to John 3:16:

Hyper-Literal: For(conjunction assigning a reason) thusly, (2)thee God, (1)He-agapaO-loves* (3-)thee kosmos-world even-as-and thee Son of-Him-same, namely--thee uniquely-begotten, He-gives* that(purpose) any thee one-keeps-on-trusting(not a “one shot” decision but continuous, repeated, customary action--do not argue with Greek present participles!) into Him-same no he-might-be(acting upon themselves--stupidly)-rendered-useless (keep-on trusting into Him and you cannot screw it up!) but-rather he-might-be(and continue)-having zOE-life(feminine), (aiOnion)breath-being-belong-to-her(right here, right now!). John 3:16

That my friend is gorgeous!

• Winner
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Optional for what?

I mean, seeing as the new birth, or regeneration, describes an essential aspect of God's gracious work upon us to bring us to Himself in Christ then, no, it's not "optional"--it's descriptive of God's saving work upon us as individuals. As Scripture identifies the new birth with the Sacrament of Holy Baptism, Baptism has always been understood in Christianity to be the ordinary means through which God takes hold of us, as individuals, and brings home to us the salvation which is found in Jesus. As such Baptism has been understood as the ordinary means by which a person is made a Christian, made a believer, made a child of God (etc). Which is why we look to Scripture, for example John 3:5 where the Lord identifies the new birth with water and the Spirit, and Romans 6 where St. Paul speaks of our burial and death with Christ and sharing in His resurrection life, and in Galatians 3:27 where he says we are clothed with Christ, or St. Peter in Acts 2:38 which identifies Baptism with receiving forgiveness of sins and the receiving of the Holy Spirit.

That said, this does not mean that God cannot act outside of the ordinary means of Baptism, or that Baptism should be set up as some kind of obstacle to be overcome. Salvation is by grace alone, through faith which is God's gift to us, and not by our own efforts (Ephesians 2:8-9), accomplished once and for all by what Christ has done once and for all. Salvation isn't a game, or an obstacle course, it's the reality of the gracious God who condescends to encounter a sinful, broken world in order to heal, redeem, and ultimately restore it. Which He does by the life, death, resurrection, ascension, and coming again of our Lord Jesus Christ. To that end, God established His Church to preach the Gospel and administer the Sacraments through which God works to deliver faith and appropriate Christ's work to sinners, in order to bring them into a reconciled relationship with Himself in the hope of that glorious future life when God makes all things new.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

When you are born again you are no more the same you again. All your old views changes. Off course, it takes time to be fully tranformed. But the fact is that what you wanted so badly in the past has no more hold on you. The things that this world considers as great is not great anymore for you. You are no more held captive by it and you are set free from it. Now you have become a slave for Christ instead and your only desire is Him. I will paste here the Acts of Peter (removed from the Bible) for your better understanding.
XXXVIII. And when they had hanged him up after the manner he desired, he began again to say: Ye men unto whom it belongeth to hear, hearken to that which I shall declare unto you at this especial time as I hang here. Learn ye the mystery of all nature, and the beginning of all things, what it was. For the first man, whose race I bear in mine appearance (or, of the race of whom I bear the likeness), fell (was borne) head downwards, and showed forth a manner of birth such as was not heretofore: for it was dead, having no motion. He, then, being pulled down -who also cast his first state down upon the earth- established this whole disposition of all things, being hanged up an image of the creation (Gk. vocation) wherein he made the things of the right hand into left hand and the left hand into right hand, and changed about all the marks of their nature, so that he thought those things that were not fair to be fair, and those that were in truth evil, to be good. Concerning which the Lord saith in a mystery: Unless ye make the things of the right hand as those of the left, and those of the left as those of the right, and those that are above as those below, and those that are behind as those that are before, ye shall not have knowedge of the kingdom.

This thought, therefore, have I declared unto you; and the figure wherein ye now see me hanging is the representation of that man that first came unto birth. Ye therefore, my beloved, and ye that hear me and that shall hear, ought to cease from your former error and return back again. For it is right to mount upon the cross of Christ, who is the word stretched out, the one and only, of whom the spirit saith: For what else is Christ, but the word, the sound of God? So that the word is the upright beam whereon I am crucified. And the sound is that which crosseth it, the nature of man. And the nail which holdeth the cross-tree unto the upright in the midst thereof is the conversion and repentance of man.

Peter was crucified upside down. Here first man born refers to Cain who was born by giving birth. He comes head faced downwards or upside down. That is our condition. Before we were born again we were upside down and what we thought was good was actually evil. You need to repent and be converted and now you will see everything as they really are when you are right side up.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am born again (according to the Biblical definition). I believe this because my experience measures up to what the Bible says about it. Jesus stated "you must be born again" - must. If I want eternal life, if I want to enter God's kingdom, there's no option here. I know I'm in the kingdom now because I can see it (Jn. 3:3). God is my father, which is proven by my faith in Christ - 1 Jn. 5:1.
TD:)

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe being born again means coming to an understanding of who the Lord is, and making the decision to walk with him. Some churches talk a lot about this, apparently. Some churches, such as mine, hardly ever.

Upvote 0

Cheylynn

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2017
Vancouver Island
✟112,033.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe being born again means coming to an understanding of who the Lord is, and making the decision to walk with him. Some churches talk a lot about this, apparently. Some churches, such as mine, hardly ever.
How does this differentiate from someone who belongs to a cult? Because they can say, and believe that they have an understanding of the Lord and that they walk with him

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does this differentiate from someone who belongs to a cult? Because they can say, and believe that they have an understanding of the Lord and that they walk with him
I don't think we can establish what a cult is until we can establish what the Way, Truth and Life is. By the way, it looks just like Jesus in a mirror!

I think that Jesus and His followers would be considered a cult by today's standard which is ridiculous.

My advice to cult members is: DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID! :)

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Cults usually follow a human leader, don't they?

Upvote 0

Cheylynn

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2017
Vancouver Island
✟112,033.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cults usually follow a human leader, don't they?
yes, I believe for the most part.
I guess I should reword - to have an understanding of the Lord - by who's claim? There are belief's that say they have an understanding of God - but are clearly in contradiction to Christian doctrine. And following can be said in the same way - according to who/what - and how?
I agree, that the teaching of the subject is way far in between what is being shoveled out. I think this is where there is such confusion, frustration and error in well meaning people within the Christian community

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess I should reword - to have an understanding of the Lord - by who's claim? There are belief's that say they have an understanding of God - but are clearly in contradiction to Christian doctrine. And following can be said in the same way - according to who/what - and how?
I agree, that the teaching of the subject is way far in between what is being shoveled out. I think this is where there is such confusion, frustration and error in well meaning people within the Christian community
There is much confusion. But it is unnecessary. The Word of God, in it's autographed language, in it's proper grammatical context, is unconfused. However, I find that it does NOT support ANY Christian theology of ANY church!

I mean, look how the Word of God attempts to unite us as one while Christian theology divides us infinitely!

I find that every teacher behind every pulpit is a part of that division saying, "We're right and their wrong!"

I found my own life in contention with Christian theology. Now that was weird! Is my life lying or, is theology lying?

I have always followed the Way, Truth and Life who is Jesus and it has been a wild ride. However, it was not the life taught to me. In fact, in my finest hour, I was branded as a "sinner" by the walking dead!

That is why I felt it necessary to read the Scriptures in the autographed languages for myself. What I found is beautiful and completely complementary to my life.

However, there are some serious problems with "Christian theology"!

Upvote 0

Cheylynn

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2017
Vancouver Island
✟112,033.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is much confusion. But it is unnecessary. The Word of God, in it's autographed language, in it's proper grammatical context, is unconfused. However, I find that it does NOT support ANY Christian theology of ANY church!

I mean, look how the Word of God attempts to unite us as one while Christian theology divides us infinitely!

I find that every teacher behind every pulpit is a part of that division saying, "We're right and their wrong!"

I found my own life in contention with Christian theology. Now that was weird! Is my life lying or, is theology lying?

I have always followed the Way, Truth and Life who is Jesus and it has been a wild ride. However, it was not the life taught to me. In fact, in my finest hour, I was branded as a "sinner" by the walking dead!

That is why I felt it necessary to read the Scriptures in the autographed languages for myself. What I found is beautiful and completely complementary to my life.

However, there are some serious problems with "Christian theology"!
I very much agree with you and thank you for your insight.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
It doesn't matter by who's claim. We develop relationships with the Lord and grow spiritually. Or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cheylynn

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2017
Vancouver Island
✟112,033.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't matter by who's claim. We develop relationships with the Lord and grow spiritually. Or not.
Does it not matter to measure your relationship with the Lord and the spiritual growth with the light of scripture? Should that not be the claim?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Does it not matter to measure your relationship with the Lord and the spiritual growth with the light of scripture? Should that not be the claim?
As we get to know the Lord better, he sort of lets us know where we are in our spiritual growth, doesn't he? Are we obeying his commandments?

Upvote 0

Cheylynn

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2017
Vancouver Island
✟112,033.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My understanding of what it means to be born again, or saved:

To be In Christ – is to be born of the Spirit of the Living God, through the repentance of sin. This is the requirement for entry, for you must understand that you are sinful and are unacceptable in this state – before you can enter into New Birth. Scripture re: Repentance. You cannot be In Christ unless you first believe who He is and what He has accomplished. Acts 5:14 Romans 3:22 1 Cor 1:21 to believe is to have Faith. Faith is to live out what you believe – James 2:17 Then we are to be baptized, baptism is the outward act that is an inward work - of being washed of the old nature – your old life and receiving the new life that Jesus has provided through His death and resurrection. You are dyeing too, as Christ did to your old nature – life and you now live in His new life – which is done in the Spirit. Romans 6:4 You receive His Spirit – through faith – and this is the power He gives for all who call on Him so they will walk as He walked and live overcoming lives. Acts 2:38

How does all this Look:

One who is Born Again is like one who has an inward relationship with the Living God – Living meaning that He moves you to change – into His image. You are not stagnant, but He is always stirring within. Your thoughts grow and intensify for Him. You easily see sin in you – and desire to be rid of it. When you stumble or fall, it is in a forward motion – because you desire only to be changed – so you give it to Him in your repentance and determine to move in His ways. You contain such a strong love and desire to gather with the saints of God, to listen, learn and share with one another. You are deeply grieved when your brother or sister is caught in sin, and do all you can to help them out to rightness in Christ. Your joy is to give all you can one for another, in their need. In your life you live you include God in all you do, think and say, depending on where you are in the journey – it is a growing and the desire grows to include Him in all. YOU KNOW that the Spirit of the Living God is in you – for His witness reveals this to you. You are content, and at peace – and understand that this is a daily, continual process to remain in Him and walk in the fear of this in respect and honor. I could go on – but I’ll stop here.

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My understanding of what it means to be born again, or saved:

To be In Christ – is to be born of the Spirit of the Living God, through the repentance of sin. This is the requirement for entry, for you must understand that you are sinful and are unacceptable in this state – before you can enter into New Birth. Scripture re: Repentance. You cannot be In Christ unless you first believe who He is and what He has accomplished. Acts 5:14 Romans 3:22 1 Cor 1:21 to believe is to have Faith. Faith is to live out what you believe – James 2:17 Then we are to be baptized, baptism is the outward act that is an inward work - of being washed of the old nature – your old life and receiving the new life that Jesus has provided through His death and resurrection. You are dyeing too, as Christ did to your old nature – life and you now live in His new life – which is done in the Spirit. Romans 6:4 You receive His Spirit – through faith – and this is the power He gives for all who call on Him so they will walk as He walked and live overcoming lives. Acts 2:38

How does all this Look:

One who is Born Again is like one who has an inward relationship with the Living God – Living meaning that He moves you to change – into His image. You are not stagnant, but He is always stirring within. Your thoughts grow and intensify for Him. You easily see sin in you – and desire to be rid of it. When you stumble or fall, it is in a forward motion – because you desire only to be changed – so you give it to Him in your repentance and determine to move in His ways. You contain such a strong love and desire to gather with the saints of God, to listen, learn and share with one another. You are deeply grieved when your brother or sister is caught in sin, and do all you can to help them out to rightness in Christ. Your joy is to give all you can one for another, in their need. In your life you live you include God in all you do, think and say, depending on where you are in the journey – it is a growing and the desire grows to include Him in all. YOU KNOW that the Spirit of the Living God is in you – for His witness reveals this to you. You are content, and at peace – and understand that this is a daily, continual process to remain in Him and walk in the fear of this in respect and honor. I could go on – but I’ll stop here.
Aloha Cheylynn:

This thread mentions all the controversial words. Words that are Latinized such as "sin"(Latin: sinistra), "salvation"(Latin: salvationem), "spirit"(Latin: spiritus).

Notice those words are transliterated into English and not translated. Then teachers tell us what those words mean completely ignoring the actual words in the autographed language.

Since the meanings are invented, there is controversy. sinistra actually means: left-hand not "sin". salvationem, from salvi, means: to rescue, especially a mother recuing a child and not "salvation" and spiritus means: breath and not "spirit".

The Greek words are hamartia which means: the errant flight of an arrow flung from a bow without any concern for the harm it may cause self and others and figuratively refers to being wayward, off-course, amiss and not "sin". sOtEria means: rescue, deliver, keep safe and sound, made whole etc, and not "salvation". pneuma means: breath and figuratively refers is intellect gleaned, or breathed in, from an exterior source outside of self.

Now, with those words properly translated, the Word of God makes perfect sense but, theology does not make any sense.

Do you know that the bible does not contain a list of "sins"? "Sin" means whatever anyone says it means and to as many whom are dumb enough to listen to them, "Sin" is a silly little word.

Do you know that the entire bible from Genesis to Revelation does not contain anything even remotely related to "salvation"?

That idea came out of Martin Luther in the late 15th century and never before existed. A teaching that he himself admitted to manipulating Scripture in order to teach it.

If they combine "salvation" with redemption then they have a rat-nested fishing reel!

I've dealt with pneuma on another thread.

Upvote 0

Cheylynn

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2017
Vancouver Island
✟112,033.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aloha Cheylynn:

This thread mentions all the controversial words. Words that are Latinized such as "sin"(Latin: sinistra), "salvation"(Latin: salvationem), "spirit"(Latin: spiritus).

Notice those words are transliterated into English and not translated. Then teachers tell us what those words mean completely ignoring the actual words in the autographed language.

Since the meanings are invented, there is controversy. sinistra actually means: left-hand not "sin". salvationem, from salvi, means: to rescue, especially a mother recuing a child and not "salvation" and spiritus means: breath and not "spirit".

The Greek words are hamartia which means: the errant flight of an arrow flung from a bow without any concern for the harm it may cause self and others and figuratively refers to being wayward, off-course, amiss and not "sin". sOtEria means: rescue, deliver, keep safe and sound, made whole etc, and not "salvation". pneuma means: breath and figuratively refers is intellect gleaned, or breathed in, from an exterior source outside of self.

Now, with those words properly translated, the Word of God makes perfect sense but, theology does not make any sense.

Do you know that the bible does not contain a list of "sins"? "Sin" means whatever anyone says it means and to as many whom are dumb enough to listen to them, "Sin" is a silly little word.

Do you know that the entire bible from Genesis to Revelation does not contain anything even remotely related to "salvation"?

That idea came out of Martin Luther in the late 15th century and never before existed. A teaching that he himself admitted to manipulating Scripture in order to teach it.

If they combine "salvation" with redemption then they have a rat-nested fishing reel!

I've dealt with pneuma on another thread.
Thanks for this, I will delve into this more myself.

Upvote 0