• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

How do you know that God is good?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by TheWhat?, Nov 24, 2021.

1. TheWhat?

TheWhat? Ate all the treats

+504
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Let's say you're trying to convince a sinner who has somehow gotten the wrong impression. Maybe he's afraid God hates him, or is out to get him.

How do you make your case and convince him otherwise?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Thatgirloncfforums

Thatgirloncfforums Well-Known Member

+571
    United States
    Generic Orthodox Christian
    Private
    If you're afraid God hates you or is out to get you (feelings I've had before), consider that despite your sins, you are still alive. If God wanted to get you, he would have already done so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. TheWhat?

+504
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Fair point.

4. Thatgirloncfforums

+571
    United States
    Private
    Also, look at Christ hanging from the cross. Does he look like he's going to hurt you?

5. TheWhat?

+504
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    I dunno. I think I might be a little afraid of His Father though, if I were there.

But, as for our hypothetical, we can assume he's far removed from the crucifixion.

6. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Simul Justus et Peccator Supporter

+43,027
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Hello TheWhat?, I believe that I'd ask him to think about the Cross, first and foremost. I'd also ask him why he believes that God, who sent His only begotten Son down here as a man (to die that horrible death on the Cross in his stead) to save him, suddenly changed His mind and decided to "hate" him, and to go out of His way to "get him" :scratch:

--David

Romans 5
    8 God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
    9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.
    10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  7. Thatgirloncfforums

+571
    United States
    Private
    'If you have seen me, you have seen the Father'. Fear of God (which we all have) comes from not knowing God, but we know enough about God (that he is righteous and we aren't) to have a very skewed view. This skewed view comes from the fact that we know we are not ok. So we project our alienation onto him and think he must be angry.

He still bears the marks as the lamb upon the throne who was slain from the foundation of the world. He's never far removed from his crucifixion.

8. TheWhat?

+504
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Interesting. The crucifixion is such a perplexing thing it's easy to get lot in it. What I had in mind though was being part of the crowd that did that to Him. I really think I would be afraid of God in any such event, much moreso, the crucifixion of His Son. Not because of what I thought God did to the Son but because of what the crowd did. Although that might not be the case if I were a first century Roman -- life was brutal back then, but if I were a believing Jew I'd be terrified.

Sure, fair enough. But, I'm referring to the person in the hypothetical. We can assume he is far removed from the crucifixion.

9. Hammster

Hammster Theology Matters Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+22,315
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    The cross.

10. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+6,002
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    How do you know that God is good?

That is easy. God's ways are not our ways, and we're not good.

11. sunshineforJesus

sunshineforJesus is so in love with God CF Ambassadors Supporter

+11,709
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    We know God is good because of all the good he has done for us.

12. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+3,618
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    The Bible makes it very clear that God is good, this is very clear in the Gospel. The fact that we know what is good is because we have been made in the image of God, His values are in our hearts.

13. TheWhat?

+504
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Was not expecting this. +1 for ingenuity.

14. TheWhat?

+504
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    What about creation? Anyone else think we can look to creation to understand that God is good?

15. TheWhat?

+504
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Thanksgiving?

16. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+6,002
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Did He not share Himself with us?

17. Ivan Hlavanda

Ivan Hlavanda Active Member

+336
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    He gave up His glory in Heaven and died for the sinners who belong to hell. No one was ever more hated, beaten and suffered more than Him, yet He did it out of the love for us.

But you cannot convince someone. Tell them, of course, but you have to pray for them, because only God has the authority, to save and to give faith, and to give a new heart of flesh to replace the heart of stone full of sin.

18. Confused-by-christianity

Confused-by-christianity Well-Known Member

+296
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Show them so they experience it, then you have a foundation to make an intellectual argument.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  19. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+2,402
    Catholic
    Married
    Thats why God came in the flesh, to demonstrate and prove that He’s not some angry, distant being, aloof in His superiority, but a God who’s not opposed to getting His hands dirty, coming down and mixing it up with His own creation while showing that He’s always been on man’s side, always loved and wanted the very best for us. Enmity and jealousy and distance came from man, not Him.

He healed the sick, taught and showed that humility, gentleness, mercy and love were superior human traits, truly attainable as we enter fellowship with Him, and suffered an excruciatingly humiliating and painful passion and death in human flesh to demonstrate the extent He’d go in order to prove a love so vast and wide and deep that we can just barely begin to understand, and be moved by it. And to cap it He overcame death-and so our fear of it- by His resurrection, revealing that we were created to live eternally as well. He revealed what we need to know. We need Him in order to know anything truly worth knowing, we need Him in order to have eternal life. We need Him just in order for goodness to fully reign in the human heart. “Apart from Me you can do nothing”. John 15:5

Aside from that we see His handiwork. Alongside of various evils that we will experience in this world is the undeniable good inherent in creation: the beauty of nature, friendship, love, joy, laughter, gaining and growing in knowledge and understanding, pleasure, etc.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  20. Thatgirloncfforums

+571
    United States
    Private
    It's a toss up. Killing to eat bothers me.