How do you know if Paul was speaking gods words and not just his opinion?

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Try to tell modern Jewish people that the Exodus is only an imagination which the faith of their ancestors anchored upon for thousands of years. Even I were a Jew, I won't believe you.

Actually, many of them know it... and don't care. Both of my grandmothers were Jewish and explained the concept quite well.

http://thetorah.com/the-exodus-story-as-jewish-mnemohistory/

The myth was a carrier of the culture that carried some ideals. History was not relevant or necessary part of that equation.

It's the same thing with creationists and science. Their story takes the precedent in order to maintain a cultural narrative.

Reactions: SteveB28
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's the same thing with creationists and science. Their story takes the precedent in order to maintain a cultural narrative.

Why would any smart Jews want to keep that stupid cultural narrative?

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Why would any smart Jews want to keep that stupid cultural narrative?

The really smart Jews.... like Einstein... don't and didn't :). But that would make them "non-Jews" culturally, and that's the point.

There are plenty of Cult(ure)s of certain upbringing. When we grow up and think critically, why would we need those stories anymore?

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Two reasons:

First because Paul's letters are cited as scripture elsewhere in scripture

Second because Paul's writings are consistent with the rest of scripture

Sorry but Pauls letters being cited as scripture seems a bit irrelevant as they must have been cited by other believers who came after Jesus was dead, that's hardly divine.

Secondly being consistent with other scriptures could just indicate that Paul was well read and understood scripture as it was written at the time.

Reactions: SteveB28
Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry but Pauls letters being cited as scripture seems a bit irrelevant as they must have been cited by other believers who came after Jesus was dead, that's hardly divine.

Secondly being consistent with other scriptures could just indicate that Paul was well read and understood scripture as it was written at the time.

A question was asked and I answered it. If you want to remain ignorant that's your problem not mine.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The really smart Jews.... like Einstein... don't and didn't :). But that would make them "non-Jews" culturally, and that's the point.

There are plenty of Cult(ure)s of certain upbringing. When we grow up and think critically, why would we need those stories anymore?

So you think the majority of Jewish people, historical or current, are stupid enough to feel comfortable about these stupid cultural narratives. AND, be proud of them.

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
A question was asked and I answered it. If you want to remain ignorant that's your problem not mine.
Thanks and fair enough but this is a discussion forum, so therefore discussion does take place. There's no need to reply, I was just making an observation.

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So you think the majority of Jewish people, historical or current, are stupid enough to feel comfortable about these stupid cultural narratives. AND, be proud of them.

Were Greeks and Romans stupid for believing in some reality behind their myths? Were Egyptians stupid?

Your appeal here doesn't make sense in any scope of human ignorance. We are a lot less ignorant than peope before.... because we have more information to make retrospective judgement.

You are essentially asking me to ignore what we know today about our reality and take on beliefs of people 2000 years ago... because these people couldn't possibly be so stupid? That's your line of reasoning?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Were Greeks and Romans stupid for believing in some reality behind their myths? Were Egyptians stupid?

Name an example of those myths, which is similar to the Exodus.
You will easily see the analogy does not fit at all.
Exodus is not a myth. Jews MUST have come out of Egypt sometime in the history.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Two reasons:

First because Paul's letters are cited as scripture elsewhere in scripture

That is a very nice circle you've drawn there. It's akin to "the bible is correct because the bible is correct"

Second because Paul's writings are consistent with the rest of scripture

Since they are amongst the earliest of scriptural writings in the New Testament, that is hardly surprising.

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Were Jews in Egypt? How many Jews in Egypt today?
Would the math be hard to see?

Why must they have been in Egypt prior to the claimed Exodus?

In other words, apart from the claims made in the Bible, what evidence do we have that Jews were ever enslaved in Egypt?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why must they have been in Egypt prior to the claimed Exodus?

In other words, apart from the claims made in the Bible, what evidence do we have that Jews were ever enslaved in Egypt?

I don't know. You can confirm that with Egyptian archaeologists.
I think a lot of Jews lived in Egypt historically.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Wrong. There is not a shred of evidence that such an enslavement or occupation took place, outside that which is claimed in the Bible.

If so, there will be consequences that would be unexplainable.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Would you please stop speaking in riddles?

Just explain the evidence you think you have for the Exodus.

I am asking a question, which will lead to the explanation you want.
I am not trying to lecture you. You do not answer the question, means you do not want the explanation.

Make the question easier: Is there evidence for Israelites conquered the Canaan?

Upvote 0