How Do You Keep Yourself Motivated To Read The Bible?

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm guessing you really didn't bother to read the OP? That will more than likely keep me from even opening my Bible right now.
I have now read your full post. Your problem is not bible reading. It is your current lifestyle.

Frankly, it speaks to the world we live in today. It's not friendly to the human psyche. That's why everything is breaking down, suicides are up, people are rioting in Europe, etc. Your story is becoming far too common. Then there are the people that have no job at all and their unemployment ran out at the end of the year.

Our current "modern times" can really be compared to the time in Russia after the Russian revolution, or after the French revolution. This one was not bloody, but we don't live in the same world we did just a year ago. It's very similar to those "dystopian future" science fiction movies and books.

For me, the challenge was not reading the bible, it was accepting that "all hell is about to break loose" and learn to trust in the Lord for my own life. And this involves serious prayer and relying on Him. Then the depression melts away as one returns to a Kingdom perspective and bible study becomes possible.

Bottom line: Focus on His Kingdom (which is already here, but not yet complete) through prayer above all else. And the hard part is that, well, this is hard work, at a time when you don't want to pile on any more hard work. But to be clear, I'm not even talking about bible reading. That is just a symptom from the real problem.

• Informative
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@Isilwen sir, with you being a visual learning you might find this interesting, this is my personal teacher who is a Christian Believer whom has helped me along with my faith in God and the Lord Jesus Christ. He makes art, and this is a story that involves Epistemology.

Not sure if allowed to post it here... Hope no one minds.

8 minutes long.
The ending message talks about how God loves all people.

Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This may also seem strange, but I am not one that really studies anything. In high school, EMT school, etc, I never actually studied. My girlfriend once said that I can read something and I just absorb what I am reading. When I study, it jumbles things in my head and I tend not to retain them.

So reading for me is where it's at, just right now I have no motivation and as what was offered above, maybe right now praying is enough.
That was me in high school as well. Motivation comes from desire and curiosity. I have bible dry spells and I'm fine with it.

BTW, I'm 67 now. Studying is something I started picking up in my 20's and discovered I had actually been doing it for a while. When in high school I didn't study, but I read all sorts of stuff on WWII aircraft and modern hi-fi. I didn't see it as studying. I saw it as just reading lots of stuff about things I was interested in. But at the end of the day, I was studying. A lot.

Same thing here. I highly recommend "studying" the bible by simply reading C. S. Lewis' book, Mere Christianity. You don't even have to crack a bible and it's very interesting. Then just let it flow. You're not in seminary. You don't "have to" study. Just read about what interests you. And your interest will increase as you expand your relationship with him via conversational prayer. I even do it while driving.

FWIW, my wife's most powerful Christian experience was when she pulled over to the side of the road and started beating the dashboard and steering wheel and screaming at God because her husband was about to die of leukemia. In the middle of this "prayer", she heard, as if it was someone in the backseat, the calm words, "Be at peace, child." Calmness washed over her like warm water. She started the car and calmly drove home.

That is our God. He doesn't expect you to "do your homework" 24/7. We are put here to LIVE. And with Him in our life, life is more full - even if you never crack open a bible. But it enhances it.

Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess that is where we're different. I'm not a note taker. Not even in school. Taking notes would also cause me problems learning the material.
Let me be really clear about this: I am not, nor ever have been a note taker. I agree with you. I'm not talking about "taking notes". I'm not talking about "summarizing" what you are reading into notes. I'm talking about reading it, and when a thought about what you are reading comes to mind, write it down.

A simple example: You read "after the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] crows twice", and you make a note: "Wait a sec. Didn't one of the other gospels say it only crowed once?!" And then I sometimes take those notes, or in real time, go to the internet and do some google word searches and enjoy huge discovery. Not only in the bible, but the search also comes up with notes, studies, etc. that discuss that very issue.

Another one: As you read about Lazarus and the rich man you wonder, "Why FIVE brothers? Does the number matter?" Then you take a note, or go straight to google and search "lazarus rich man five brothers" and get tons of hits.

Just as hitting one youtube video can send you down a hundred rabbit trails, doing this with scripture and google can do the same.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a One Year Bible with daily readings and I try to read those before I go to bed each night.
I used to have a job where I worked longer hours and I would miss, but I tried not to beat myself up about it. I actually feel better when I read the Word of God daily, it helps my stress.
I used to listen to Bible cassette tapes on my long commute many years ago(yeah that dates me)But like you I'm better with reading not listening. I would rather even read articles than watch YOu Tube videos so I hear you.
The One year Bible helps me organize my readings better.

Upvote 0