How do you interpret the Scriptural Passage found in 1 Corinthians 4:1-21?

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"So then, men ought to regard us as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Now it is required of stewards that they be found faithful.

I care very little, however, if I am judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not vindicate me. It is the Lord who judges me.

Therefore judge nothing before the proper time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.

Brothers, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us not to go beyond what is written. Then you will not take pride in one man over another. For who makes you so superior? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?

Already you have all you want. Already you have become rich. Without us, you have become kings. How I wish you really were kings, so that we might be kings with you. For it seems to me that God has displayed us apostles at the end of the procession, like prisoners appointed for death. We have become a spectacle to the whole world, to angels as well as to men.

We are fools for Christ, but you are wise in Christ. We are weak, but you are strong. You are honored, but we are dishonored. To this very hour we are hungry and thirsty, we are poorly clad, we are brutally treated, we are homeless. We work hard with our own hands. When we are vilified, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer gently. Up to this moment we have become the scum of the earth, the refuse of the world

I am not writing this to shame you, but to warn you as my beloved children. Even if you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. Therefore I urge you to imitate me. That is why I have sent you Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord. He will remind you of my way of life in Christ Jesus, which is exactly what I teach everywhere in every church.

Some of you have become arrogant, as if I were not coming to you. But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord is willing, and then I will find out not only what these arrogant people are saying, but what power they have. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power. Which do you prefer? Shall I come to you with a rod, or in love and with a gentle spirit?" This is the BSB translation.

1 Corinthians 4:1-21 is the KJV translation.

I'm looking for any kind of feedback on this particular passage. Relevant scripture is welcome but please keep the focus on this particular passage.

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul is speaking as a humble man. He recognizes that apart from God he can do nothing. A person that understands and believes this cannot be judgmental. What would someone who has received everything he is and has from God say against another person? He himself (apart from the Holy Spirit) has not earned anything except punishment, has done nothing good, and has no reason to see anyone as below himself. Paul doesn't even think he has enough ability to evaluate these sorts of things about himself—he writes with the emotion of someone who thinks it is absurd he has to do what he says he cannot do to help the readers (another example in 2 Corinthians 11:1). Someone [Paul] humble like this would be angry or annoyed when another exalts him [Paul] (or anyone else) to their own detriment, especially when the person [Paul] is sacrificing for the sake of the others.

Reactions: Victor E.
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The first problem in the OP is that it presents the conclusion of Paul's discussion.
Does Ferdinand have wiskers?
A. All cats have whiskers.
B. Ferdinand is a cat.
Therefore Ferdinand has whiskers.​

All the OP gives us is "Ferdinand has whiskers." He doesn't give us the question that evokes the discussion, nor does he even give us the discussion, but only the conclusion, the "therefore...."

Chapter 3 is the first part of the discourse, and what the second part means can't be discussed without engaging the first part.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
victor de Jehova Tsidkenu said:
Do you believe it's applicable to present day?
In what sense?

Paul is dead. He has no need to defend himself. So that isn't - 'applicable'.

There are any number of so-called holy men who teach all manner of non-Christian concepts in the name of Christianity. (Obviously nothing new.) They need to be identified and exposed. So that part is 'applicable'.

Paul is concerned about 'younger' - newer - Christians staying on track. All current Christians should as well. Applicable.

What else did you have in mind?

Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The first problem in the OP is that it presents the conclusion of Paul's discussion.
Does Ferdinand have wiskers?
A. All cats have whiskers.
B. Ferdinand is a cat.
Therefore Ferdinand has whiskers.​

All the OP gives us is "Ferdinand has whiskers." He doesn't give us the question that evokes the discussion, nor does he even give us the discussion, but only the conclusion, the "therefore...."

Chapter 3 is the first part of the discourse, and what the second part means can't be discussed without engaging the first part.

Fair enough, Do you believe that any Apostles exist today in the Church of Christ?

Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In what sense?

Paul is dead. He has no need to defend himself. So that isn't - 'applicable'.

There are any number of so-called holy men who teach all manner of non-Christian concepts in the name of Christianity. (Obviously nothing new.) They need to be identified and exposed. So that part is 'applicable'.

Paul is concerned about 'younger' - newer - Christians staying on track. All current Christians should as well. Applicable.

What else did you have in mind?

"Staying on track" is subjective. That's a whole nother can of worms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Again, a subjective statement.
Therefore, I consider your statement subjective. Go ahead, Vic, keep quibbling over what you don't want to admit. I have other things to do.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Fair enough, Do you believe that any Apostles exist today in the Church of Christ?
Depends on what concept of 'apostle' one follows.

In the sense of a special person, appointed by God to be of greater importance than others, no. I do not believe or have reason to believe such.

In the sense of directed by God to spread His gospel to all, then all Christians are apostles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Therefore, I consider your statement subjective. Go ahead, Vic, keep quibbling over what you don't want to admit. I have other things to do.

Most everything is subjective except Gods Word. Fair enough.

Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Depends on what concept of 'apostle' one follows.

In the sense of a special person, appointed by God to be of greater importance than others, no. I do not believe or have reason to believe such.

In the sense of directed by God to spread His gospel to all, then all Christians are apostles.

In communion there is no such thing as superiority. In a personal relationship with the Lord I believe some have allowed Him to come closer. This can affect how they perceive communion. This is just my own meandering speculation.

Upvote 0

The Scapegoat

Aug 25, 2016
St. Louis, Missouri
✟145.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"So then, men ought to regard us as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Now it is required of stewards that they be found faithful.

I care very little, however, if I am judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not vindicate me. It is the Lord who judges me.

Therefore judge nothing before the proper time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.

Brothers, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us not to go beyond what is written. Then you will not take pride in one man over another. For who makes you so superior? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?

Already you have all you want. Already you have become rich. Without us, you have become kings. How I wish you really were kings, so that we might be kings with you. For it seems to me that God has displayed us apostles at the end of the procession, like prisoners appointed for death. We have become a spectacle to the whole world, to angels as well as to men.

We are fools for Christ, but you are wise in Christ. We are weak, but you are strong. You are honored, but we are dishonored. To this very hour we are hungry and thirsty, we are poorly clad, we are brutally treated, we are homeless. We work hard with our own hands. When we are vilified, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer gently. Up to this moment we have become the scum of the earth, the refuse of the world

I am not writing this to shame you, but to warn you as my beloved children. Even if you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. Therefore I urge you to imitate me. That is why I have sent you Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord. He will remind you of my way of life in Christ Jesus, which is exactly what I teach everywhere in every church.

Some of you have become arrogant, as if I were not coming to you. But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord is willing, and then I will find out not only what these arrogant people are saying, but what power they have. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power. Which do you prefer? Shall I come to you with a rod, or in love and with a gentle spirit?" This is the BSB translation.

1 Corinthians 4:1-21 is the KJV translation.

I'm looking for any kind of feedback on this particular passage. Relevant scripture is welcome but please keep the focus on this particular passage.
Take into consideration what the whole of the letter to the Corinthians is about. This letter is the first of Paul's disciplines to the church of Corinth. They were not having only spiritual difficulties, but false teachers and doctrines coming to them. He addresses them about carnal mindedness, and trying to explain the true church in the prior chapter. There were those from the outside opposing the apostles teachings, so in chapter 4, he is affirming himself to them as a true apostle of Jesus Christ. It could be a case of others adding to the apostles teachings, or taking away from it. v.14 "To warn you"...."For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel. Therefore, I urge you, imitate me."....he sends Timothy to REMIND them of his ways in Christ, as he is everywhere, every church. Correction...."Shall I come to you with a rod, or in love".

They were having a problem with confusion, and much help from the outside contributing to that confusion. Some were trying to embrace the old with the new. 5:6-8.

It must be read as an entire letter. And it was a letter of correction, reinforcement, and encouragement.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Are there apostles today? As someone noted that depends upon what you mean by apostle. At the beginning of Acts, an apostle is appointed to replace Judas. The concept there is that the apostles were with Jesus in his life and witnesses to his resurrection. From 1:22 it seems that witness to the resurrection is the most important part.

Paul considers himself an apostle because Jesus appointed him. He also considers himself a witness to the Resurrection, because of his vision.

In Acts, that concept of Apostle clearly would be limited to people alive when Jesus was. 1 Cor 15:8 ff sounds to me like Paul saw himself as the last of the apostles.

So I think both Acts and Paul see the apostles as the original witnesses to Christ. There can certainly be others sent by God, and we are all in a sense witnesses to Christ. But I wouldn’t use the term apostle in the NT sense.

Upvote 0