Jan 3, 2017
Denver
✟18,319.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obey the Torah. Simple as that.

Follow the stuff that makes you uncomfortable, the stuff that our "leaders" in the church claim are obsolete. Yeshua gave us the gift of forgiveness, it's now our turn to reply with obedience to the best of our ability. It's certainly humbling to realize just how much we ignore Him because we choose our traditions over His word. Tradition isn't bad, unless it contradicts the Word. Once you study it, you'll realize just how much of our "Christian traditions" contradict God's instructions. There's a lot of "you will not worship Me in this way" stated in the Bible and yet we choose to worship Him in that way anyway. Force yourself to follow His ways rather than the ways you grew up following because "that's what the other Christians do" - you'll come face to face with humble in a hurry.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As I read the question it was humbling ourselves before the very throne of God which at the heart of that question is the need to fear the Lord. Psalms 34 tells us that we learn to fear the Lord. Notice not a work of God alone but a learning from the teacher/master how to do so. This is the beginning of humility, to learn to fear the Lord. But to learn requires a teacher/master and that is the HS making a work of both man and God.
I disagree very strongly with these statements. You do not love the Lord by fearing the Lord. God's Word says perfect love casts out all fear.

You can be constantly afraid of God but I'm not going to. Now 'reverence' is a different story, respect for who He is is different than fear. I respect His power and who God is.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree very strongly with these statements. You do not love the Lord by fearing the Lord. God's Word says perfect love casts out all fear.

You can be constantly afraid of God but I'm not going to. Now 'reverence' is a different story, respect for who He is is different than fear. I respect His power and who God is.
most believe that the fear of the Lord talked about in scripture is referring to awe or respect...as in recognizing who He is as in holy and righteous. The word fear is taken straight out of scripture which makes me wonder why you question it but be that what it is Psalms tells us that the fear of the Lord is....
11Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
12 Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days,
13 keep your tongue from evil and your lips from telling lies.
14 Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.
15 The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and his ears are attentive to their cry;
16 but the face of the LORD is against those who do evil, to blot out their name from the earth.
17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.
18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
19 The righteous person may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all;
20 he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.
21Evil will slay the wicked; the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
22 The LORD will rescue his servants; no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.

is about righteousness....which isn't about fear as in fear nor awe and respect

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well Far side of the moon. For me its not doing something someone else does or say. I think of Him and because of Christ I can BOLDLY come before Him..standing. Yet I fall on my face..for He is God He is faithful and He is my every need. For me..to think I am bad or sinner.. would be like a slap in the face to Him. Why? Again for ME.. Christ came..took all my sins.. He said..I am 100% righteous before my Father because I believe in JESUS.

So.. when your alone.. ask HIM about this.. and then.. start to think about GOD..the Father..keep thinking.. and HE will take it over.. And His presence will come..you wont be scared.... the thing is ..you will NEVER want it to end

Upvote 0

FrankDux

Dec 12, 2016
USA
✟14,876.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I have found that calming myself to the point of being able to befriend wild animals has been very rewarding

Just, whatever you do, do NOT invite squirrels into your house

They will steal whole loaves of bread, and then the blue jays will start conducting orchestrated raids

...then it's all downhill from there

Upvote 0

Nathan98

May 15, 2017
Ontario
✟16,011.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's one of the ways you draw close to God ... And I just wonder how you do that.

I wonder about that too. I always thought that it means disregarding oneself as unimportant before God and praising Him. I could be wrong, but then again I always have been.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's one of the ways you draw close to God ... And I just wonder how you do that.
In John Chapter 13, Jesus was eating supper with his disciples before the Passover. He took a towel and started washing his disciples' feet. He humbled himself by becoming their servant. Jesus instructed his disciples that they should do for others according to his example.

You might recall the report about the Good Samaritan who found the victim of a brutal robbery unable to walk. He loaded him on his donkey, then transported him to an inn. The Samaritan gave some money to an inn keeper to pay for his room and board for the duration of his recovery. There was ethnic and religious tension between Jews and Samaritans (Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews). There were not many Jews telling the virtues of a good Samaritan. The Jews were more likely to describe the defective nature of that group. Is this humility?

Luke, a companion of Paul, recorded one of Paul's speeches:
Acts 20:35 (WEB)
"In all things I gave you an example, that so laboring you ought to help the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”

In 1 Timothy 6:17-19 (NIV): Paul wrote the rich should be willing to share with the poor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟30,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up." (James 4:8-10)

"Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." (1 Peter 5:5-7)

"Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children [an infant], ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:3-4)

Reactions: RisenInJesus
Upvote 0

megabuff

Feb 18, 2011
✟23,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I also make sure I am serving others, no motives, no agenda, no expecting anything in return just serving.

This really works? i have heard people say it is so.

i guess i need to give it a try.

One thing for me is that if I'm kind or do something for someone, and they don't show gratitude, it annoys me.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
most believe that the fear of the Lord talked about in scripture is referring to awe or respect...as in recognizing who He is as in holy and righteous. The word fear is taken straight out of scripture which makes me wonder why you question it but be that what it is Psalms tells us that the fear of the Lord is....
11Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
12 Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days,
13 keep your tongue from evil and your lips from telling lies.
14 Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.
15 The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and his ears are attentive to their cry;
16 but the face of the LORD is against those who do evil, to blot out their name from the earth.
17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.
18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
19 The righteous person may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all;
20 he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.
21Evil will slay the wicked; the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
22 The LORD will rescue his servants; no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.

is about righteousness....which isn't about fear as in fear nor awe and respect
The Old Covenant people had much more of a reason to fear God as they were held to perfect obedience to the law.

We are not, in that we have forgiveness in Christ. In Christ, we have assurance of our salvation and forgiveness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

One thing for me is that if I'm kind or do something for someone, and they don't show gratitude, it annoys me.
One thing that may help you is to know you are doing it for God most of all. You are showing love for the person as commanded.

God tells us specifically NOT to look for a reward for our good deeds from man, because then God will not reward us because we have already received our reward from the recognition of others.

Colossians 3:23-24
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

Matthew 6:2
So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Old Covenant people had much more of a reason to fear God as they were held to perfect obedience to the law.

We are not, in that we have forgiveness in Christ. In Christ, we have assurance of our salvation and forgiveness.
and yet even the NT tellls us the importance of "fearing" the Lord ....
Luke 1:50
"AND HIS MERCY IS UPON GENERATION AFTER GENERATION TOWARD THOSE WHO FEAR HIM.

Acts 10:34-35 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.

Now, it doesn't seem like you read my response which is up to you but let me throw two things out there for you. 1. your argument is questioned by the very fact that fearing the Lord is also a NT concept not just an OT one and 2. you talk a lot about fear...let me ask you this, do you obey Him or are you still living in disobedience? See, as I pointed out from Psalms, fearing the Lord is about obedience...whatever that might take as to the different versions of what the word "fear" means but here is where it gets really interesting...you call God your friend but John 15:14 tells us that we are only His friends if we obey Him "You are my friends if you do what I command." which is what Psalms says the fear of the Lord is...interesting, isn't it?

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

And this is why we cannot be humble in the manner that God commands. The humility He wants us to show is not Self-centered. We know ours is when we get miffed when our kindness is not acknowledged and reciprocated. That's just Self exposing its involvement in our attempt to do the right thing. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, Self is so incorrigibly bad that God's remedy for it was death on the cross of Christ. If you want to be truly humble, humble in a genuinely godly way, you will have to take up your cross and die to your Self. And the only way that can happen is if you are allowing the Holy Spirit to bring you to the place Paul describes in Galatians 2:20:

20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Are you willing to die? It's the only way to truly live.

Selah.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I was in college a friend and I were struggling with different issues but decided to walk to the church and pray about both issues. In SS we had been talking about Moses taking off his shoes and standing on holy ground. When we got to the church we decided to take off our shoes and stand on holy ground. Before we made it half way down the aisle we were both on our knees because the presence of God was so strong it was the only thing we could do.

To answer the question...I remember that moment but even more so, I think about how holy God is and in that "take off my shoes" literal and figurative and there stand in His presence allowing Him to talk to me first.
Often it's not necessarily literal, for us, anyway.

But inwardly and spiritually it certainly applies.

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0