Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I say actually help, I mean materially improve the situation. I don’t mean ANY form of making me feel better about it. His grace, love, presence, patience, etc.=not actually helping. How do I get him to act rather than give me completely empty words?

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
When I say actually help, I mean materially improve the situation. I don’t mean ANY form of making me feel better about it. His grace, love, presence, patience, etc.=not actually helping. How do I get him to act rather than give me completely empty words?
God only gives us want He wants to give us. Everything we have is given by Him. Everything we don't have is withheld by Him.
One of the greatest blessings He gives is the state of contentment. When He gives us contentment, then we feel as though we actually have more than we need and we are happy to have exactly what He gives to us or withholds from us.

Upvote 0

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One of the greatest blessings He gives is the state of contentment. When He gives us contentment, then we feel as though we actually have more than we need and we are happy to have exactly what He gives to us or withholds from
That is EXACTLY what I meant by not helping. He might as well be saying, “Shut up and like it!”

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That is EXACTLY what I meant by not helping. He might as well be saying, “Shut up and like it!”
A father will often use that sentiment with his erring children. And it is a great blessing when God does it to us.

Upvote 0

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Stop blaming God...
Blaming? I guess so. I am blaming Him. Blaming Him for say he cares, then standing by while everything I care about burns without lifting a finger to help. Blaming Him for say his grace is sufficient, when it is NOTHING OF THE SORT. Blaming Him for saying you’ll get the desires of your heart, when he really means only if that is pain and suffering. So if that is what you mean by blaming, the yes, I suppose I am.

• Agree
Reactions: eremitic
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Blaming? I guess so. I am blaming Him. Blaming Him for say he cares, then standing by while everything I care about burns without lifting a finger to help. Blaming Him for say his grace is sufficient, when it is NOTHING OF THE SORT. Blaming Him for saying you’ll get the desires of your heart, when he really means only if that is pain and suffering. So if that is what you mean by blaming, the yes, I suppose I am.
Good and clear. Thank you.

Who taught you or got you to believe the way you believe?

(It appears they did not teach you the way to live)

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

This life is one big fat test... will you pass it is the only question that matters.

I lost a 23 year old child who had two small babies to cancer... I lost my health, my physical abilities, everything material I ever worked for in two house fires and a disability...

But HE has given me so much more, and for what? I did nothing good! Nothing worthy... He did everything and in the end calls me His beloved child and He gives to me His salvation and eternity with Him, in His presence...

That is what matters, that is ALL in All and the entire point.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I posted something earlier in another thread about an experience I had many years ago.

I believed in God. I went to church. But years ago I went through a very challenging situation in my life. I was in a very low paid job and found it very hard to pay the bills that came in every month. Halfway through the month I had hardly any food left on the shelf. I couldn't claim any benefits because technically I was in a job and was deemed to have an income.

God looked after me during that time. He didn't solve my problem by making me super rich, and neither did he take away from me my responsibility of paying my bills. But quite a few things happened to me which I didn't expect. I didn't go round telling people about my problems - perhaps I was too proud for that! But I did start getting invites to people's homes for lunch, for evening meals. A couple at the church who I hardly knew came up to me shortly before Christmas and gave me a hamper with some gifts. I received a surprise letter in the post enclosing a gift donation which I was able to use to buy food. With God's help, I managed to get through the situation.

Amidst all the uncertainty, I felt at peace. I remember sitting in a cafe drinking a cup of coffee. Having almost no money, buying a coffee was a luxury - and I savoured every mouthful. I remember feeling God comforting me as sat there watching the world go by. It was if He was telling me that even if I had nothing left in the world, I would still have Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟160,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God gave you your wretched and depraved life back anew. The means to purchase a computer, the intellect to understand it sufficiently to post online, the dexterity to execute that understanding, and all the other things you already have in your life He gave you.

Isaiah 5:1-4
"Let me sing now for my well-beloved a song of my beloved concerning His vineyard. My well-beloved had a vineyard on a fertile hill. He dug it all around, removed its stones, and planted it with the choicest vine. And He built a tower in the middle of it And also hewed out a wine vat in it; Then He expected it to produce good grapes, But it produced only worthless ones. And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem and men of Judah, judge between Me and My vineyard. What more was there to do for My vineyard that I have not done in it? Why, when I expected it to produce good grapes did it produce worthless ones?"

I get upset when I drop my bread and it lands butter-side down. I summon God to come down and explain Himself immediately. After all, if I am an adopted son of The Most High God, the God of Physics, then oughtn't I to at least be able to drop my bread and have it land butter-side up? If not, then what benefit is it to be His son? He's laughing at me, I know. I should be thankful He doesn't instantly fry me with a lightning bolt for being disrespectful. "Thinks he can summon me... well, I ought to char that ignorant pit of sin right now where he stands."

I read through your post history. You are not "Questioning." You are already decided. Stop blaming God. God gave you and me our wretched and depraved lives back anew.

Act like it.

Upvote 0

shineyourlight

Mar 6, 2020
New York
✟63,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The thing is: God does not need to do anything for you.

Harsh reality, right? No one really wants to hear it. Even typing it made me grimace.

But, it's the truth. He doesn't need to serve me. He doesn't need to serve you. He is God. We are human.

But, He blesses you because He loves you. But, having the mindset, "He NEEDS to do this for me," is not a servant's heart. It's more of a "it's all about me" mindset.

God blesses you because He chooses to, because He loves you. God knows that life is not always easy and He has never promised it. He is faithful to his followers and He is faithful to you. But, as long as you have the mindset that God NEEDS to do something for you, He might be trying to teach you a lesson.

Instead of demanding Him to do something, ask him, "I want you to do this for me. I do want this and I want to see You move and it is frustrating to see you not moving in my life. Forgive me for this mindset. Your servant is listening. Teach me, mold me, and open up my ears to hear You."

He loves you and wants more than just being a genie in a bottle and giving you those three wishes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Humble yourself. Confess any sin, no matter how small. Forgive any offence, no matter how insignificant. Declare that you are unable to help yourself. Make sure that you are asking for something that is according to God's will.

God has three responses. "Yes", "No", and "Wait." Often God is doing a deeper work in our lives and giving us what we want would be counter productive. God's word is never empty. I can assure you categorically that it is not God who has the problem! Never complain about God and His ways. It's like a deep sea diver putting a knot in his airline. Our lives hang by a thread. We need to show some respect for the Lord. He won't do anything to harm us. It's much worse than that. He leaves us to our own ways and lets us dig a hole for ourselves. I speak from experience. He will pull us out if we will humble ourselves and pray. Best not to be in the hole to start with. If you are, quit digging!

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,916,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Questioning Brother, here's what the Bible tells us to do (it's actually a wonderful command with a wonderful promise attached to it :)).

Psalm 37
Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.

It's important to take the time to truly understand what this verse is telling us to do however (to fulfill our half of the verse), because if we don't, the Lord will not fulfill His half of the verse (the promise half).

The key to this verse is found in always chasing after the Lord, never in chasing after the things that we want. So, don't try to "delight God" (like He's some kind of Cosmic Sugar-Daddy ;) .. He's not), rather, "delight yourself in Him" .. "and He will give you the desires of your heart".

--David
p.s. - Matthew 6:33 is another verse worth considering.

"God has promised to supply all of our needs. What we don't have now we do not need now." ~Missionary/author Elisabeth Elliot

quote-instead-of-a-river-god-often-gives-us-a-brook-which-may-be-running-today-and-dried-up-arthur-w-pink-81-85-53.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
God did. With his indifference.
Thus the source of all your troubles.

A false god.

You don't know yet that the one true Creator is unable to be indifferent ... He gave one way to be saved - He sacrificed His only begotten Son on a cross, a horrible death, in place of those who are redeemed - to pay the price, to purchase them with His Blood.

Seek the truth, and keep seeking. The deception you learned from someone (parents/ churches/ tv/ relatives/ neighbors? whoever ) has almost destroyed your life....

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He left first.

I find that doubtful or we wouldn't be here right now.

What on earth makes you think God owes you anything but eternal hellfire?

God and I had a moment like this too once, until I realized, for as great as I saw my own righteousness, I wasn't righteous at all...

Once I came to grips with that, me and God are pretty good now, far better than I could have imagined Him to be, He is..

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I used to think that God was simply there to provide everything that I wanted.
I was the "spoilt brat" in the Christian family. If God didn't yield to my demands, I told Him that I would leave and I would end up going off in a strop. Did that worry God? Not in the slightest. He knew that as soon as I walked off, it wouldn't be long until I was coming back with my tail between my legs.
His ways are not our ways, and He knows what is best for us. He will answer our prayers, but He will do it in His time and on His own terms.
Sometimes God's help comes when we are least prepared for it.
I spent six years of my life abusing alcohol and endlessly prayed to be rid of that affliction. For many years now, I have been stone cold sober.
I was in a situation where I got mugged at knifepoint by two men in the street late at night with no-one around to help. With God's help I simply walked away from them without a care in the world, leaving them completely dumbfounded.
I was in a dead end job thinking that nothing ever would change. Then one day, an opportunity came along which completely turned my life around.
When I am not working, I spend a lot of my time writing music. Copies of my music have been used by various people I know who have been suffering from serious or terminal illnesses - they have told me that the music has helped them draw closer to God, and comforted and uplifted them in spirit. God has given us all gifts to use to serve him. He has also given you the same - for you to use to serve others and for his glory.
Sometimes we can feel trapped in the moment and feel like we are not getting anywhere. I look back at where I was 20 or 30 years ago and what has changed. So many good things have happened - and all through God's help.
Remember the Footprints poem when the man only saw one set of footprints. During his time of trial and suffering, God had carried him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0