How do you feel that LGBT will now be taught to Primary School children?

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
The LGBT lifestyle is NOT acceptable. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 says that homosexuals will not inherit the kingdom of God, which means there isn’t any salvation for unrepentant homosexuals who engage in immoral debauchery. If schools in Britain are teaching LGBT acceptance, then the UK is doomed.
It is acceptable--people are able to accept it. Your opinion should not affect the struggles of young people in school. They are free to live out their life in peace and remain free from bigotry. More power to them.

• Agree
Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
In his case it is not indoctrination, but pragmatism. In the society in which these kids will find themselves, it's a fact that LGBTs are "out" and many people find it acceptable. It's a reality that kids should be prepared for, whether they are taught at home to approve of it or not.

That should take about 30 seconds. I'd like to know exactly what they are teaching.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
How do you feel that LGBT will now be taught to Primary School children?

I think it would be a great thing.

Children need to learn to be respectful of others and to learn about all the repression and oppression that certain groups have had to endure and are enduring.

I think primary school children should learn about slavery, about how long it has taken for women to get rights (such as the right to vote) about how poorly people in LGBT have been treated and that there is nothing wrong with people who identify as LGBT and that it is a valid option.

I agree with everything you said except the last sentence. I don't think it ought to be taught as an option at all. Valid or invalid.

It ought to be taught that some people are LGBT. And no matter who they are we need to treat them with love, kindness and respect. That fits for EVERYONE that is different than you. No matter their skin color, nose size, religion, hair color, sex or whatever. No one should be bullied, beaten up attacked, cyber bullied etc.

And it ought to be clear that bullying willl be delt with swiftly and severly.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
What exactly are they teaching? To teach kids that there are LGBT people out there should take very little time. What more do they need to teach?
A lesson plan involving LGBT issues will look differently depending on the subject of the class and the student's grade level. In a high school Social Studies class, students might encounter content relating to the history of the issue. A Science class would approach it differently; they might explore the difference between genets and brain structure. A literature class (which is what I teach) might read a literary work from someone within the LGBTQ community. In my literature class, I do not teach gender issues, race issues, or any other socio/political issue; I teach reading and writing. I may select a text such as Letter from Birmingham jail or a work of fiction by Ocean Vuong. Schools and teachers select the books students read. These will always be controversial because that is how a society pushes itself and grows. More conservative people shy away from these issues, but the issues and those affected by them are not going away.

LQBTQ students are constantly harassed, maligned, and ridiculed by fellow students--a ten minute Power Point on the topic is not enough to stop one group of students from throwing urine on another student. The world has and will continue to change--teachers prepare young people to live in the world to come, not the world that has been.

• Agree
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
A lesson plan involving LGBT issues will look differently depending on the subject of the class and the student's grade level. In a high school Social Studies class, students might encounter content relating to the history of the issue. A Science class would approach it differently; they might explore the difference between genets and brain structure. A literature class (which is what I teach) might read a literary work from someone within the LGBTQ community. In my literature class, I do not teach gender issues, race issues, or any other socio/political issue; I teach reading and writing. I may select a text such as Letter from Birmingham jail or a work of fiction by Ocean Vuong. Schools and teachers select the books students read. These will always be controversial because that is how a society pushes itself and grows. More conservative people shy away from these issues, but the issues and those affected by them are not going away.

LQBTQ students are constantly harassed, maligned, and ridiculed by fellow students--a ten minute Power Point on the topic is not enough to stop one group of students from throwing urine on another student. The world has and will continue to change--teachers prepare young people to live in the world to come, not the world that has been.

I don't think we need to do any of that. Why would we. All we need to do is teach kids to be kind and enforce it. We don't need to learn the history etc because it will always lead to addressing the morality of it. Teaching it's okay to be gay. I say no because you are teaching contradictory ideas to other teaching by parents.

Bottom line is we need to teach kids to be kind no matter if you agree or disagree with a person's looks, behaviors, religion politics, whatever. In life we are always going to have people we disagree with or believe our life, religion, political beliefs race is better. But regardless we should treat each other with respect, kindness. Bullying is not allowed no matter how you feel or what you believe.

Upvote 0

agapelove

May 1, 2020
San Diego
✟50,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't think we need to do any of that. Why would we. All we need to do is teach kids to be kind and enforce it. We don't need to learn the history etc because it will always lead to addressing the morality of it. Teaching it's okay to be gay. I say no because you are teaching contradictory ideas to other teaching by parents.

Bottom line is we need to teach kids to be kind no matter if you agree or disagree with a person's looks, behaviors, religion politics, whatever. In life we are always going to have people we disagree with or believe our life, religion, political beliefs race is better. But regardless we should treat each other with respect, kindness. Bullying is not allowed no matter how you feel or what you believe.

Why would we not need to address the morality behind it if the point is to "teach kids to be kind"? Some parents will teach their children to be racist so in that instance is it okay to teach contradictory ideas? Children learn homophobia from their parents.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married

When you say we don't need "any of that:" to what specifically are you referring? The need to teach science, history, literature, or writing? Maybe you meant something else... Can you be more specific? Or maybe you think teachers and students should not breach LGBTQ topics.

If what I teach contradicts with what the parents think, I don't care. I teach things parents disagree with ALL THE TIME. I couldn't get a word out of my mouth if I had to poll every parent about their diverse ideas and opinions on religion, politics, or cultural expectations. I trust students to encounter the different ideas floating around them and decide for themselves. Parents often do not feel that way about their own kids beliefs. I have two kids myself; I want them to make up their own minds and think freely.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Why would we not need to address the morality behind it if the point is to "teach kids to be kind"? Some parents will teach their children to be racist so in that instance is it okay to teach contradictory ideas? Children learn homophobia from their parents.

It is the ESSENTIAL understanding of agape love as your name says. It it recognizing that just because someone is "wrong" doesn't mean we have to treat them poorly. Jesus said love your enemies and do good to them that hate you. God is the ultimate example that while we were yet sinners Christ dies for us.

So we can disagree on many things including race. But if we want to have real caring in this country we can say, I may disagree with you, but that doesn't mean I am going to treat you poorly or bully you.

Some people.may teach their kids to be racist. So? It's their perogative to do so. And it's not the schools job to contradict them. But it IS everyone's job to teach that in order to have an orderly society that we treat each other with respect and kindness. Otherwise chaos ensues.

We should be teaching what the Constitution says where it comes to laws. All men are created equal, black white protestant Catholic straight gay whatever. Under the law we are all equal.

As an orderly society we should treat each other with respect. I don't have to think your ideas thoughts, skin color or gender is equal to mine. But I do have to treat you with honor and respect even if I don't believe it is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
When you say we don't need "any of that:" to what specifically are you referring? The need to teach science, history, literature, or writing? Maybe you meant something else... Can you be more specific? Or maybe you think teachers and students should not breach LGBTQ topics.

If what I teach contradicts with what the parents think, I don't care. I teach things parents disagree with ALL THE TIME. I couldn't get a word out of my mouth if I had to poll every parent about their diverse ideas and opinions on religion, politics, or cultural expectations. I trust students to encounter the different ideas floating around them and decide for themselves. Parents often do not feel that way about their own kids beliefs. I have two kids myself; I want them to make up their own minds and think freely.
Teachers don't need to broach lgbtq topics unless it is to recognize that there are lgbtq folks out there and they need to be treated with the same respect and kindness as any other human being.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal

You shouldn't be teaching religion politics or cultural topics unless you are ONLY bringing up the facts and various ideas. If you promote or dispariage anyone's views on a subject you shouldn't be teaching.

Unless of course if you acknowledge that other people may not believe that and that's okay. For example, you may indicate that some people are gay, black, white etc and some people might think it's not okay to be gay or don't want to date white people and that's okay if they feel or believe that way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Teachers don't need to broach lgbtq topics unless it is to recognize that there are lgbtq folks out there and they need to be treated with the same respect and kindness as any other human being.
So, that obviously means we should be discussing it--since they're "out there." We can't burry our head in the proverbial sand and try to make the world be what we want it to be out of ideological desire. I have gay and transexual students in my classes who daily face negative judgement from conservative students. Who really needs to change in such a situation? We discuss it so we can live in a town where those negative attitudes begin to fade away and people are free to be whoever they want without lame criticism.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
You shouldn't be teaching religion politics or cultural topics unless you are ONLY bringing up the facts and various ideas. If you promote or dispariage anyone's views on a subject you shouldn't be teaching.

Unless of course if you acknowledge that other people may not believe that and that's okay. For example, you may indicate that some people are gay, black, white etc and some people might think it's not okay to be gay or don't want to date white people and that's okay if they feel or believe that way.
Do you really think I can teach a humanities class without teaching religion, politics, or culture. What else is there in the humanities except these things. I don't think you are aware of what a literature class entails. Maybe your conservative ideology is leading you in a different direction than the rest of the trajectory of a modern education.

I don't know what you mean when you vaguely say, "If you promote or dispariage [sic] anyone's views on a subject you shouldn't be teaching." Do you actually mean anyone's view? Or, do you just mean yours?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
So, that obviously means we should be discussing it--since they're "out there." We can't burry our head in the proverbial sand and try to make the world be what we want it to be out of ideological desire. I have gay and transexual students in my classes who daily face negative judgement from conservative students. Who really needs to change in such a situation? We discuss it so we can live in a town where those negative attitudes begin to fade away and people are free to be whoever they want without lame criticism.

Who's burrying their head in the sand? I just said we acknowledge that there are lgbtq folks. And we teach the kids to treat them with respect and kindness. That it is wrong to treat them poorly or bully them. That's all that is needed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Do you really think I can teach a humanities class without teaching religion, politics, or culture. What else is there in the humanities except these things. I don't think you are aware of what a literature class entails. Maybe your conservative ideology is leading you in a different direction than the rest of the trajectory of a modern education.

I don't know what you mean when you vaguely say, "If you promote or dispariage [sic] anyone's views on a subject you shouldn't be teaching." Do you actually mean anyone's view? Or, do you just mean yours?

I think you missed what I said. Can you teach about religion? Of course you can. You can share with the students about all the religions if the world. You can teach the kids about all the various political views in the world. But you cannot tell them that each religion or each political views is equally viable.

You cannot support anyone's view or dispariage any ones view.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Who's burrying their head in the sand? I just said we acknowledge that there are lgbtq folks. And we teach the kids to treat them with respect and kindness. That it is wrong to treat them poorly or bully them. That's all that is needed.
Calm down, I didn't suggest YOU had your head in the sand. However, plenty of folks do; it is actually a problem in our schools. A great number of students are struggling to work out their identity while simultaneously get good grades, be good people, and often live in cultures hostile to their choices and personality. The problem on the ground is larger than you think. To think that all we need to do is to tell other students to be kind to one another is to miss the scope of the entire discussion and its impact on human lives. For you, this may seem trivial--but it isn't you enduring it I'd wager.

• Agree
Reactions: agapelove
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Calm down, I didn't suggest YOU had your head in the sand. However, plenty of folks do; it is actually a problem in our schools. A great number of students are struggling to work out their identity while simultaneously get good grades, be good people, and often live in cultures hostile to their choices and personality. The problem on the ground is larger than you think. To think that all we need to do is to tell other students to be kind to one another is to miss the scope of the entire discussion and its impact on human lives. For you, this may seem trivial--but it isn't you enduring it I'd wager.

Domt schools have counselors for that sort of thing? Struggling through this is tough on people. Tough on individuals and families. But it's a psychological issue. Which is delt with by psychological help. Not in the classroom. Teachers should not be discussing the rightness or wrongness of the issue. What you should be teaching is the whole reason there are issues is because we as humans all have different thoughts on any subject. And regardless of those differences we avoid societal chaos by being kind to one another regardless of our opinions.

Just that alone is an answer to many problems.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Domt schools have counselors for that sort of thing? Struggling through this is tough on people. Tough on individuals and families. But it's a psychological issue. Which is delt with by psychological help. Not in the classroom. Teachers should not be discussing the rightness or wrongness of the issue. What you should be teaching is the whole reason there are issues is because we as humans all have different thoughts on any subject. And regardless of those differences we avoid societal chaos by being kind to one another regardless of our opinions.

Just that alone is an answer to many problems.
You repeatedly say it shouldn't be "taught" in the classroom. Why not?

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I get your point regarding teaching it is OK or not OK or Good or Bad to do something or be something.
School is not there to necessarily teach kids a particular brand of morality.

However, school is a society of interacting people. And in order to support a safe, thriving and inclusive society school needs to clamp down on bullying, name calling etc.
School needs to promote the idea that we are not here to judge each other or each other's lifestyles. We live in a free country (depending on where you live) and as such each person has the right to make their own choices and live a life of their own choosing.

Whether or not that life/style is deemed a moral lifestyle, or moral choices or what not is up to the individual making those choices or up to their own specific societies (if that individual chooses to accept the moral definitions of those societies) e.g. family, church etc or whatever society they may belong to whom deem it their purpose to define, promote or police a certain "moral" standard.

But as long as school goes, teachers and students (while on school time) aren't to make public any such moral judgements (based on race, gender, age, wealth, sexuality, skin colour etc) and aren't to bully or tell others that they are immoral or sinners.

Yes.

• Agree
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0