Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
actually, cats I believe are the only animals that are allowed in Church, as they take care of mice and keep them away.
Hmmmm. We could actually use one in our Church. But I think they finally handled the problem. Little critters had found a way in.

It's often dogs people want to bring in. And folks aren't happy about that.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hmmmm. We could actually use one in our Church. But I think they finally handled the problem. Little critters had found a way in.

It's often dogs people want to bring in. And folks aren't happy about that.

haha, yeah, dogs are a no-go.

Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think so, more than enough people in Church to help out. plus, you would not want to run the risk of a dog going crazy when the Eucharist is brought out
I'm not trying to be difficult and I understand the concerns and even agree in general. So with that said, what if the person needs the service dog to be able to get to church? What would the Church have them do with the dog? Such as a blind man who couldn't get a ride and needed his dog to walk to church?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not trying to be difficult and I understand the concerns and even agree in general. So with that said, what if the person needs the service dog to be able to get to church? What would the Church have them do with the dog? Such as a blind man who couldn't get a ride and needed his dog to walk to church?

dogs just should not be in Church. leading a blind man to Church is fine. once in Church, one would hope other parishioners would help out. we have a blind priest where I am, and that's what happens.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are service dogs not allowed?
It's probably handled differently in different places. In our case it's visitors. And since the dog is LEGALLY allowed where the person is, they've been brought in. But people are very unhappy about it. No one has mentioned if we can or should have a formal policy for visitors. As for Church members, I'm fairly confident it would be as Matt said - people are more than willing to help.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
cats are the perfect partner in crime, you can teach a cat do do just about anything... within reason...
Cats ARE pretty cool like that.

My cat is funny. She loves learning all kinds of tricks, bt the thing is, she doesn't want to be just ordered around like a dog will enjoy.

She is a good communicator. I can tell what she wants to be told to do, and when, and she will very gladly run through her tricks when it's HER idea. She's so pleased with herself when she gets praised for them her tail goes so far forward that it very nearly touches her head. Never saw another cat do those things.

Her favorite is to be told to "jump" and where to jump to ... but she glances with her eyes to show which perch she wants to be sent to, then waits for the command, then expects to be lavishly praised for doing it. In truth, she has trained us. But it looks impressive to run through her whole repertoire. It's just funny because she's the one who usually scripts what happens in which order and how, but visitors don't know that.

If she's in the mood, she will do what I ask without her deciding first.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Aren't you all a positive lot! I'll be honest, I do not wake up feeling wonderful. That is very rare for me. I usually wake up feeling indifferent or meh. On the days I work I wake up not wanting to go. I force myself to pray and have to in order to even make it through work. I usually feel better after I pray, but that feeling is quickly lost once I'm dealing with work stress.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Aren't you all a positive lot! I'll be honest, I do not wake up feeling wonderful. That is very rare for me. I usually wake up feeling indifferent or meh. On the days I work I wake up not wanting to go. I force myself to pray and have to in order to even make it through work. I usually feel better after I pray, but that feeling is quickly lost once I'm dealing with work stress.

I'm sorry to hear you don't get those wonderful mornings. :( For whatever reason.

If it makes you feel any better, it's not always so for me, in fact. You know when I wake up struggling? Some days when I get to go to Church! Not always, but maybe about half the time, I'll wake up with a sore throat, or a scratchy voice, or someone will do or say something to make me tempted to stay home, and I will be BURIED with thoughts and excuses why I should stay home and what else I could do instead.

I confess the sore throat/stomachache days I'm even more tempted to stay home, and I have a few times thinking I'm sick and shouldn't go. Sometimes I am sick. Sometimes I think maybe I'm really not.

But Church days are when I get hit worst in the mornings, and especially during fasting seasons! So it does happen. But the rest of the time I'm usually in good shape when I wake up.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
feeling bad on days when you are supposed to go to church or when you should pray, is that Him (Satan), influencing you not to?

it could be, it can also just be our own fallenness apart from the Enemy

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
feeling bad on days when you are supposed to go to church or when you should pray, is that Him (Satan), influencing you not to?

True. It can be either.

We can be our own enemy. I can certainly be lazy, distracted, interested in my own selfish wishes. And at times when I'm not struggling with that, I get tempted by the enemy sometimes. And sometimes I can't tell which is which, or maybe it's both at the same time.

Thank God for His grace ... that's our only hope, but it is enough, at least when we cooperate.

• Agree
Reactions: WadeTheophan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Cats are allowed in the services? Or just in the building? Doesn’t make sense to me to allow one but not the other.

Most service dogs are very well behaved. This is the first time I’ve heard that service dogs aren’t allowed...I’m not saying that it is incorrect. Honestly though, if a guest came in with a service dog, I don’t think anyone in our parish would do anything to prevent it. For regular parishioners though, I think they’d make provisions for the dog to be outside the sanctuary, not inside.

That said - I don’t know for sure. It still doesn’t make sense though to allow cats specifically, even if they are mousers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
in the building, no tabby cats during the Liturgy
Thanks for the clarification. I was looking for the canon law. Do you know which council or canon law grouping it came from?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the clarification. I was looking for the canon law. Do you know which council or canon law grouping it came from?

off the top of my head, no. probably Quintesext.

• Informative
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thinking about it more...The general rule of thumb in our parish is allowing service dogs in the fellowship hall, but not beyond that. With guests, it may be a matter of economia. Not sure. Non-service dogs don’t come in the church at all though.

Upvote 0