How do you feel about women not wearing bras? Is it a Sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffraid

Dec 3, 2016
earth
✟21,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But a moment ago, didn't you say you could drive a BMW? You can dress modestly and yet drive in something that is not modest? Okay.

No. I said that driving a BMW makes you equally guilty of making others stumble (by inciting covetousness) as the 'revealing clothing = lust' old hat. Do pay attention.

Anyways, lets look at the verse again.

"I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes" (1 Timothy 2:9).​

Now, if your father or pastor told you to dress with decency and you came out with no bra in a see thru dress that also showed off your cleavage, what do you think their reaction would be?...

The verse talks elaborate and expensive, not revealing.

As for my father, he'd more concerned with me dressing appropriately for the occasion, which does not hinge on neckline depth or hemline height at all.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
The bra is a non-issue. The real issue is that woman should dress with decency (whether they wear a bra or not). Meaning, women should dress in such a way so as to not to tempt other men. Are you against that idea?

Look, women could walk around naked if they wanted to! Its the person looking on the nakedness that has the issue! Turn away your eye if tempted! Simples

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'll just have to take your word on it. This thread is offensive to my intellect.

In some cases, not wearing a bra can be bad because it can reveal the women's breasts. But ultimately the bra is a non-issue (because one can wear the proper clothing to cover one's breasts regardless of whether they wear a bra or not). I think the heart of the issue of the thread is...

Should women dress with decency?

I believe 1 Timothy 2:9 tells us that this is so.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. I said that driving a BMW makes you equally guilty of making others stumble (by inciting covetousness) as the 'revealing clothing = lust' old hat. Do pay attention.

The verse talks elaborate and expensive, not revealing.

As for my father, he'd more concerned with me dressing appropriately for the occasion, which does not hinge on neckline depth or hemline height at all.

The verse also says.... "dress with decency."

So deal with it.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Look, women could walk around naked if they wanted to! Its the person looking on the nakedness that has the issue! Turn away your eye if tempted! Simples

No they can't.
Women are told to dress with decency according to 1 Timothy 2:9.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
You are wrong, and have no understanding of the Word. Modesty begins with the body and expands to adornment. Women should even wear head coverings in church, but few do.

What is considered to be modest apparel is almost totally culturally conditioned and culture can and does evolve.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God made us naked.

And he gave us animal skins for us to wear instead of fig leaves.
In fact, the rest of the Bible is filled with people primarily being clothed.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is there any way to stop new posts from this thread from showing up in my alerts?

...I keep getting excited but then quickly let down once I see its from here.

The "unwatch thread" button is located at the top of each page within a thread to the right.

Upvote 0

magicaxeman

May 4, 2016
Essex, UK
✟11,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let us remember that when God first created man and woman he created them in his own image, they where perfect and also naked, it was only when they ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil that they realised they where naked and covered up in shame.
Each baby is created by God, it is born perfect, free from sin and naked.

The point here is that Nudity in general is not a sin.

I myself have to live naked 24/7 and have done so for the last 8 years, I'm severely disabled and bed bound, clothes, even night clothes ruck up and can cut of circulation as well as not being able to remove them myself when I need the toilet, but I know I'm not committing a sin living like this, I'm living how God initially intended us too and trust me he has no problem with it and talks to me the same as an he does anyone else.

Its just the same with dress, if your intentions in the way you dress are pure i.e. your not dressing with the intention or desire to tempt or seduce others then any sin is purely in the mind of the person who views you.

It matters not whether a skirt or dress is above the knee or below it, whether a shoulder is revealed or not but of course each of us has personal preferences as to what we consider as appropriate.

I for instance am not happy with current dress in my country as a skirt that doesn't even completely cover underwear is not seemly to me, neither are tops that are not much more than nipple covers and a large part of my loathing of such dress is that its worn to seduce and enable the behaviour that inevitably follows a night out in such dress.

I think women's dress is often used as an excuse by us men to cover our inability to deal with our own lusts and desires, by and large the sin rests with us, not with the woman for wearing the clothes she chooses to wear.
We can deal with those sinful lusts if we choose, we need to learn to look at women in a different way, not with lust and desire but to appreciate the beauty of God's creation, to learn that such beauty is more than just skin deep, to see the beauty that comes within as well as that without, and all without lust.

As for the question of bra or no bra:

Christ walked this earth and interacted with women as well as men, none of those women would have been wearing a bra, in fact most people back then including Christ himself would not have worn underwear, just a loin cloth at best.

So lets get some perspective on this and stop forcing our women to conform to OUR ideals, because the bible just says "modestly" but does not define what modestly is, it doesn't define it as below the knee dresses it just says don't dress provocatively, i.e. with the intent of provoking lust, so lets stop blaming women for OUR lack of control and OUR sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rayquest

Feb 8, 2013
✟8,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would like to add that wearing bra is not the point here , modesty and decent dressing matters the most

We all are saying the Christian MEN Should learn to control their eyes , desire , but what about dogs outside the Church, social circle ?

Decency is the first line of defense !

Paul the Man of God ! said we should not dress like prostitutes

why did he choose only prostitutes ? why not any other example ? for female from high society of those times ?

i ask if we show flesh to the dogs or vultures ,one should always be ready to be bitten

To illustrate :
If anyone has seen how Kites sit on lamppost/ building/
with all his focus on the meat shops in the area

At the slightest opportunity he would swoop down zero on its target ,the poor butcher is struggling with this enemy

Thus he used his number of papers to cover the meat completely hidden from the enemy eye, but if there is a breech in the cover providing a perfect visual of the his favorite treat then attack is incoming

Same tactics are used by Devil he just needs an opening

Women assets / beauty are God gifts to her ,let her not chose to display it to the world but save for her future soulmate chosen by our LORD GOD JESUS CHRIST

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ronald Rose

Nov 28, 2016
Black canyon City, Arizona USA
✟15,994.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Well, I can see a number of areas one might wish to take into consideration (health, comfort, "fit" of clothing, appropriateness to where/when you are). I honestly think that most women are capable of assessing those and making the right decision for themselves.

One thing worth noting is that a well-fitting bra can be very expensive. Poverty can be a serious barrier to having options in that regard.

I don't believe a bra was even an issue until 1889.

Upvote 0

Ronald Rose

Nov 28, 2016
Black canyon City, Arizona USA
✟15,994.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
So ...the topic and question is.... How do you feel about the act of women not wearing a bra at all? Are sometimes okay but not all the time? It just shouldn't be done? She has rights?
Just curious... but please, elaborate! I appreciate all view points!

I don't believe a bra was even an issue until 1889.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.