How do you feel about women not wearing bras? Is it a Sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Seems to me that everything would be covered if I'm wearing a tank top and shorts. Does it matter what's under my tank top and shorts?

So you'd say bibically bare arms and lower legs are fully modest? I would say besides nudity, there is immodesty (partially immodest like midriff).

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
So you'd say bibically bare arms and lower legs are fully modest? I would say besides nudity, there is immodesty (partially immodest like midriff).

I am short and chubby. My midriff hasn't seen the sun in over 30 years. Show me "biblically" that bare arms and lower legs are "immodest". Chapter and verse please...your choice of translation. I'm currently wearing a sleeveless top and one of my long "fundie" maxi skirts...does that suit your definition of modesty or is it immodest because my arms are bare?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
So ...the topic and question is.... How do you feel about the act of women not wearing a bra at all? Are sometimes okay but not all the time? It just shouldn't be done? She has rights?
Just curious... but please, elaborate! I appreciate all view points!
It all depends how she looks. A young lady has perky breasts and still looks good bra-less. Me? I'm 56 and my boobs hang down to my toes without a bra. Going bra-less is an act of terrorism.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am short and chubby. My midriff hasn't seen the sun in over 30 years. Show me "biblically" that bare arms and lower legs are "immodest". Chapter and verse please...your choice of translation. I'm currently wearing a sleeveless top and one of my long "fundie" maxi skirts...does that suit your definition of modesty or is it immodest because my arms are bare?

Where does the Bible say midriff is immodest?

If bare arms aren't immodest, are you saying the way Orthodox and Muslim women dress isn't modest?

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat

If bare arms aren't immodest, are you saying the way Orthodox and Muslim women dress isn't modest?

Look...I'm tired of you going round and round. If you want your wife and daughters to wear burhkas or abayas and hijab, go for it...me? I'm a red-blooded American Southern girl. I wear shorts, tank tops, bathing suits and flip flops when it's hot out...I live in the desert, it's usually hot. Don't like it? Don't look.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

Modesty is culturally defined. In some cultures, a woman has to have her legs covered, her arms covered down to her elbows, and up to her neck. In my southern california culture, it's perfectly okay to wear a sleeveless top and shorts. In yet other cultures, it is not immodest to be bare breasted.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
If nipples are showing, then yes. If breasts are moving about or in any way visble, yes.
Nipples show because some women have naturally more sensitive breasts -- the littlest caress of the fabric causes their nipples to harden. It doesn't mean they are aroused in the slightest. But it can be embarrassing -- the one's I've talked to tend to wear bras if for no other reason than to avoid this being seen.

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
If nipples are showing, then yes. If breasts are moving about or in any way visble, yes.

Us "generously endowed" girls can't stop the jiggle...it happens. And, well...they're visible. I could dress in a flannel shirt, blue jeans and work boots and still be positively identified as female by virtue of what's sticking out from my chest.

The puritanical hang-ups really need to go away. Women have breasts, women have curves, if men can't deal with that, I would then say that it's the MEN who need to learn self-control and not be worrying about what we women are or are not wearing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Us "generously endowed" girls can't stop the jiggle...it happens. And, well...they're visible. I could dress in a flannel shirt, blue jeans and work boots and still be positively identified as female by virtue of what's sticking out from my chest.

The puritanical hang-ups really need to go away. Women have breasts, women have curves, if men can't deal with that, I would then say that it's the MEN who need to learn self-control and not be worrying about what we women are or are not wearing.

Aren't breasts private parts and nudity? I don't know if nudity is just what the culture defines it as. I'm talking bibically.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So ...the topic and question is.... How do you feel about the act of women not wearing a bra at all? Are sometimes okay but not all the time? It just shouldn't be done? She has rights?
Just curious... but please, elaborate! I appreciate all view points!

Some days I don't wear socks.
I know a lady who rarely wears a bra, but she also
avoids form fitting or transparent tops.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Aren't breasts private parts and nudity? I don't know if nudity is just what the culture defines it as. I'm talking bibically.

If they're covered it's not nudity. So I can cover them w/a bra, a shirt, a dress, whatever. If it's covered, it's not nudity. As long as there's one layer of clothing on...not a big deal.
I requested you post bible verses pertaining to what a woman should wear...in detail. Today I wore a dress, it's a tank top style dress, sleeveless, scoop neck and falls to mid-calf. Is that too immodest for you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Exposure of the female breast to male visual scrutiny triggers a reaction in the human male which he perceives as an invitation to copulate. The younger the male involved the stronger the sense of being PURPOSEFULLY invited becomes.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Exposure of the female breast to male visual scrutiny triggers a reaction in the human male which he perceives as an invitation to copulate. The younger the male involved the stronger the sense of being PURPOSEFULLY invited becomes.

When this happens, it is dictated purely by culture. If a guy interprets this as a sexual invitation, he will be stimulated. If he interprets it in a non-sexual way (feeding the baby, enjoying the sun, being comfortable in the heat), then he won't get aroused.

I described the fallacy of this kind of thinking in my earlier post (page 2, #28). Nowadays, as a nudist, I see hundreds of bare breasts in non-sexual settings and don't get aroused. And it's not because I'm old; it's because I do not automatically think of nudity as sexual.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I feel perfectly comfortable with it, as a woman currently not wearing one. I had ballet this morning, and the scooped back common with leotards makes it impossible to wear one without it being very visible, so I simply eschew it.

Overall I think it's an individual decision women should make based on her physique, preferences, attire, and context.

• Winner
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
When this happens, it is dictated purely by culture. If a guy interprets this as a sexual invitation, he will be stimulated. If he interprets it in a non-sexual way (feeding the baby, enjoying the sun, being comfortable in the heat), then he won't get aroused.

I described the fallacy of this kind of thinking in my earlier post (page 2, #28). Nowadays, as a nudist, I see hundreds of bare breasts in non-sexual settings and don't get aroused. And it's not because I'm old; it's because I do not automatically think of nudity as sexual.

Can a Christian be a nudist? What does the Bible say about nudity?

Even in “asexual” contexts, public displays of nudity dishonor God by pretending an innocence that no longer exists. A Christian should definitely not be a nudist or participate in nudist activities.

Not being aroused doesn't justify dressing inappropriately.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Of course I was talking from the viewpoint of a city dweller in an industrialized country and not from the viewpoint of a native of the Amazon where women go almost naked all the time nor of a nudist who has been desensitized or perhaps is blessed with the temperament or philosophical bent towards that kind of tolerance.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.