How do you feel about women not wearing bras? Is it a Sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haramis

Dancing on Rainbows
Supporter
Feb 11, 2012
✟35,466.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,469,462.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But that's a different argument. Telling women to be careful what we intend in how we dress is one thing. Telling us that we "cause" men to sin is inaccurate and piles on us a guilt for which we are not responsible.

And you can't tell what a woman intends or intended by looking at her. You can make some educated guesses, but you can never know for sure.

Upvote 0

Disciple37

Dec 1, 2016
Mississippi
Visit site
✟10,384.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But that's a different argument. Telling women to be careful what we intend in how we dress is one thing. Telling us that we "cause" men to sin is inaccurate and piles on us a guilt for which we are not responsible.

And you can't tell what a woman intends or intended by looking at her. You can make some educated guesses, but you can never know for sure.

Of course! I apologize, i should have stated that your intentions matter more directly. I thought the argument was more clear. That's what i meant by inspecting why you want that particular dress and considering it. Ensuring the reason you want that particular clothing is for the correct reasons and not for the wrong ones (causing men to lust after you).

You are of course right! We are warned time and time again not to judge a person by the way they look and educated guesses are often wrong as well. :)

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,469,462.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No apologies necessary. I take this to heart as I see too many women damaged by the kind of approach to Christianity which seeks to simultaneously control and scapegoat them, and so I get passionate about these issues.

I also didn't realise you'd only joined today, or I might have been slightly less quick to jump in and argue straight away. :)

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Opinions will apply here. This is where your prayer seeking the guidance of the holy spirit will come into play. This verse may help you think on things a bit.

Philipians 4:8-9 (the whole chapter is good)

8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

If dressing modestly and taking that step further in your walk with Christ is important, we must look at each and every single dress and consider it. Why do you like the dress? Because it's flattering? It makes you feel confident? It has beautiful colors or patterns? Why does it make me feel confident? Why is it flattering and what does flattering mean to me? Does flattering mean that it fits my figure and flaunts it, hides certain problem areas of my body? Both? Would others look at this dress on me and think of me as a Godly woman or could they get the wrong impression? Does this dress honor God? Am i comfortable wearing this dress in front of the Lord Jesus Christ? Would this dress entice men?

I am not saying you're stuck with Maxi dresses and Pants. Just prayerfully consider the clothing if you feel drawn by the Lord to consider your modesty.

----

For example, on my beautiful fiancee, i do not like dresses that do not come below the knee. All her dresses must come below the knee, otherwise it bothers me. Halter dresses (where there are no sleeves i assuming) do not bother me as long as her cleavage is covered up. If she wants to wear a dress that goes above the knee, i like leggings that are not see through. She looks as beautiful as ever, and i feel she is dressing modestly. This is my personal taste and she is kind enough to do these things for me.

one more small addition to your advice...
concerning necklines, God gave all of us a very useful tool to measure just how low the neckline of a dress or blouse or top should go--the human hand!

while standing in front of a mirror, hold your hand out in front of you so that you can see your palm and your thumb is pointed upwards.
Next, place the palm of your hand on the front of your neck at it's base, so that your thumb is resting still pointed upwards alongside the side of your neck.

The line that is formed on your chest by where your pinkie finger rests is the point that the top of the neckline of any dress, blouse, or top, should begin if it has a dropped neckline.
It's what could be called a 'modesty line'.

Reactions: Disciple37
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The thing is, the OP didn't raise the question of modesty at all. Later posters brought that in.

If you'd posted that the Bible tells us not to focus on clothing, as a starting point, we'd have had no argument at all. :) But the suggestion that what a woman wears "causes" a man to sin is seriously problematic.

actually it's not what 'causes' a man to sin, but it does open up an opportunity/occasion/provocation if you will towards sin.

**anything that is distracting below a woman's face is where eyes will linger. **
and where eyes linger thoughts follow.

the reverse is true also, in that men should not wear pants or shorts that either cling tightly (outlining in detail what lies beneith) or that are so loose and open that when they sit with spread legs at rest, that a woman can see their crotch area.
So guys as a favor to us women, PLEASE trash those baggy shorts and bicycle pants.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The first time I remember seeing a braless woman in public was in Barstow, California. I was 20 years old and was moving from Texas to California. My car had broken down on the highway, and the lady and her husband(?) gave me a ride into town.

I was still steeped in the Texas "Christian" culture, which was mostly a hypocritical combination of public piety and private lechery. I found myself somewhat stimulated by her, but not knowing why. She certainly wasn't trying to entice me, so my reaction was entirely my own problem.

A few years later, I could look back on my silly, shallow assumptions about this lady with a good deal of shame and remorse. The only thing improper about her being braless (or any other "lack of proper dress") was my immodest attitude about it.

Reactions: bugkiller
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So ...the topic and question is.... How do you feel about the act of women not wearing a bra at all? Are sometimes okay but not all the time? It just shouldn't be done? She has rights?
Just curious... but please, elaborate! I appreciate all view points!
What a person wears projects a message.
For a Christian person that message would be one of Agape love. If in the wearing or otherwise of certain clothing items a message is projected that is other than in accordance with Agape Love then perhaps the wearer needs to rething the message they are projecting.
Just a thought, in my own experience I have some difficulty with my eyes, after having been at sea for a period of time, standing in a group of people who are physically attractive to me (when I have attended, the only way to go is to keep my eyes shut most of the time).
So because of the accepted dress standard of the culture I live in would it be better for my purity of heart, and to preserve the purity of the Christian community, to avoid such gatherings? Or would it be more Loving for people to consider the difficulties of those around them when selecting the manner in which they are going to dress?

• Agree
Reactions: klcwd
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,469,462.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not quite sure I understand, Angus. Are you saying that after being at sea, any physically attractive person has this affect on you? Does what she wears make much difference, then?

And can you expect other people to know that they need to be more modest than "normal" - whatever that is in your culture - for your sake? Is that even a conversation you can have?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I keep what I got pretty well hid away and I'd appreciate the same respect. I don't need to see the imprint of every thing you have as a Gal any more than you want me wearing speedos in public leaving little to the imagination of what I got.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I keep what I got pretty well hid away and I'd appreciate the same respect.
That's right. Its about respect for God and other people. It's about modesty and common sense really. Even guys showing cleavage with a hairy chest and a gold chain (aka 1970s style fashion).
I don't look good in lycra anymore by the way. :)

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

I'm not seeing your justification !
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,121,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So ...the topic and question is.... How do you feel about the act of women not wearing a bra at all? Are sometimes okay but not all the time? It just shouldn't be done? She has rights?
Just curious... but please, elaborate! I appreciate all view points!

...all of this might depend on who is doing the "looking" at those unsupported breasts. Guys, what do you feel when you see unsupported breasts? (And, by the way...where and why were you looking?) :waaah:

For those of you who are wondering what my point is, it is this: while on the one hand, it would generally be good for Christian women, at least, to dress circumspectly because so many of us guys are visually prone to women's breasts and bodies (probably most of us men, even when we deny it), but on the other hand, Christian men need to be practicing visual chastity and alleviate women of some of the unnecessary social burden.

Just a thought for everyone to ponder who lives in a Victoria Secrets saturated society ...

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
And, by the way...why where you looking?
I don't buy that sorry. In a Mass, we are obliged to give peace offering signs by facing others. There is literally nowhere else to look.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

I'm not seeing your justification !
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,121,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't buy that sorry. In a Mass, we are obliged to give peace offering signs by facing others. There is literally nowhere else to look.

Did you see my amendation to what I wrote above, BCP?

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Just a thought for everyone to ponder who lives in a Victoria Secrets saturated society ...
sounds like you're blaming men for women choosing immodest dress in Church. Its not sexist because I expect the same from males.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.