• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured How do you feel about women not wearing bras?

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Sklt1985, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haramis

Haramis Dancing on Rainbows Supporter

+216
    Non-Denom
    Private
    It's a joke. Lighten up. God has a sense of humor too.

2. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+12,039
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    But that's a different argument. Telling women to be careful what we intend in how we dress is one thing. Telling us that we "cause" men to sin is inaccurate and piles on us a guilt for which we are not responsible.

And you can't tell what a woman intends or intended by looking at her. You can make some educated guesses, but you can never know for sure.

3. Disciple37

Disciple37 Member

+50
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Of course! I apologize, i should have stated that your intentions matter more directly. I thought the argument was more clear. That's what i meant by inspecting why you want that particular dress and considering it. Ensuring the reason you want that particular clothing is for the correct reasons and not for the wrong ones (causing men to lust after you).

You are of course right! We are warned time and time again not to judge a person by the way they look and educated guesses are often wrong as well. :)

4. Paidiske

+12,039
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    No apologies necessary. I take this to heart as I see too many women damaged by the kind of approach to Christianity which seeks to simultaneously control and scapegoat them, and so I get passionate about these issues.

I also didn't realise you'd only joined today, or I might have been slightly less quick to jump in and argue straight away. :)

5. pdudgeon

pdudgeon Traditional Catholic

+9,266
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    one more small addition to your advice...
    concerning necklines, God gave all of us a very useful tool to measure just how low the neckline of a dress or blouse or top should go--the human hand!

while standing in front of a mirror, hold your hand out in front of you so that you can see your palm and your thumb is pointed upwards.
    Next, place the palm of your hand on the front of your neck at it's base, so that your thumb is resting still pointed upwards alongside the side of your neck.

The line that is formed on your chest by where your pinkie finger rests is the point that the top of the neckline of any dress, blouse, or top, should begin if it has a dropped neckline.
    It's what could be called a 'modesty line'.

6. pdudgeon

pdudgeon Traditional Catholic

+9,266
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    actually it's not what 'causes' a man to sin, but it does open up an opportunity/occasion/provocation if you will towards sin.

**anything that is distracting below a woman's face is where eyes will linger. **
    and where eyes linger thoughts follow.

the reverse is true also, in that men should not wear pants or shorts that either cling tightly (outlining in detail what lies beneith) or that are so loose and open that when they sit with spread legs at rest, that a woman can see their crotch area.
    So guys as a favor to us women, PLEASE trash those baggy shorts and bicycle pants.

7. Imnotjokingwellnotmostly

Imnotjokingwellnotmostly Well-Known Member

+130
    Methodist
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    Well, I don't have to wear one, so it's not really my business. God bless you!

8. Darkhorse

Darkhorse just horsing around

+2,764
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Republican
    The first time I remember seeing a braless woman in public was in Barstow, California. I was 20 years old and was moving from Texas to California. My car had broken down on the highway, and the lady and her husband(?) gave me a ride into town.

I was still steeped in the Texas "Christian" culture, which was mostly a hypocritical combination of public piety and private lechery. I found myself somewhat stimulated by her, but not knowing why. She certainly wasn't trying to entice me, so my reaction was entirely my own problem.

A few years later, I could look back on my silly, shallow assumptions about this lady with a good deal of shame and remorse. The only thing improper about her being braless (or any other "lack of proper dress") was my immodest attitude about it.

9. Anguspure

Anguspure Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ Supporter

+1,252
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Separated
    What a person wears projects a message.
    For a Christian person that message would be one of Agape love. If in the wearing or otherwise of certain clothing items a message is projected that is other than in accordance with Agape Love then perhaps the wearer needs to rething the message they are projecting.
    Just a thought, in my own experience I have some difficulty with my eyes, after having been at sea for a period of time, standing in a group of people who are physically attractive to me (when I have attended, the only way to go is to keep my eyes shut most of the time).
    So because of the accepted dress standard of the culture I live in would it be better for my purity of heart, and to preserve the purity of the Christian community, to avoid such gatherings? Or would it be more Loving for people to consider the difficulties of those around them when selecting the manner in which they are going to dress?

10. Paidiske

+12,039
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    I'm not quite sure I understand, Angus. Are you saying that after being at sea, any physically attractive person has this affect on you? Does what she wears make much difference, then?

And can you expect other people to know that they need to be more modest than "normal" - whatever that is in your culture - for your sake? Is that even a conversation you can have?

11. bettercallpaul

bettercallpaul Full- time Catholic

+7,058
    Australia
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    AU-Labor
    The modern phenomena of women showing cleavage, is a distraction, especially on bustier women. I don't think women should show it, at Church.
    (sorry offtopic I guess)

12. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,897
    Christian
    Single
    I keep what I got pretty well hid away and I'd appreciate the same respect. I don't need to see the imprint of every thing you have as a Gal any more than you want me wearing speedos in public leaving little to the imagination of what I got.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. bettercallpaul

+7,058
    Australia
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    AU-Labor
    That's right. Its about respect for God and other people. It's about modesty and common sense really. Even guys showing cleavage with a hairy chest and a gold chain (aka 1970s style fashion).
    I don't look good in lycra anymore by the way. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. pshun2404

pshun2404 Newbie

+487
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Only if they need one...

15. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid Life is lived in the shape of a "?" Supporter

+4,813
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    ...all of this might depend on who is doing the "looking" at those unsupported breasts. Guys, what do you feel when you see unsupported breasts? (And, by the way...where and why were you looking?) :waaah:

For those of you who are wondering what my point is, it is this: while on the one hand, it would generally be good for Christian women, at least, to dress circumspectly because so many of us guys are visually prone to women's breasts and bodies (probably most of us men, even when we deny it), but on the other hand, Christian men need to be practicing visual chastity and alleviate women of some of the unnecessary social burden.

Just a thought for everyone to ponder who lives in a Victoria Secrets saturated society ...

Peace,
    2PhiloVoid

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  16. bettercallpaul

+7,058
    Australia
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    AU-Labor
    I don't buy that sorry. In a Mass, we are obliged to give peace offering signs by facing others. There is literally nowhere else to look.

17. NothingIsImpossible

NothingIsImpossible Well-Known Member

+2,873
    Christian
    Married
    Better question is should men wear a bra when they got "moobs". I mean not literally wear one because thats crossdressing. But me? I got moobs and wear a shirt when I go to swim. (sigh) lol

18. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid Life is lived in the shape of a "?" Supporter

+4,813
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Did you see my amendation to what I wrote above, BCP?

19. bettercallpaul

+7,058
    Australia
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    AU-Labor
    amendation? no, I don't follow

20. bettercallpaul

+7,058
    Australia
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    AU-Labor
    sounds like you're blaming men for women choosing immodest dress in Church. Its not sexist because I expect the same from males.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.