How do you feel about climate change? Is it affecting our world negatively?

If it is, can we reverse it?

• yes

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • no

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • It's a farce

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The climate is changing, but it's not man made

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • The climate is always changing

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Of course we should not pollute, but the climate is under God's control

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • the devastation of the planet is man made

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
And again just wrong...

Such a sterling and cogent argument. You sure have set me straight. Lol. /s

if in fact you have described this person honestly and it is true...he is only one among millions in that age group.

It's demonstrably true. Your telling me he's only one of among millions in that age group who believe the Earth is flat substantiates what I wrote above rather than refutes it.

Besides...I know several young 19 year old`s who are convinced the world is flat...and it proves...hear the drum roll...ta da...nothing about young people and how or what they choose to believe anymore then older people...what people choose to believe has nothing to do with age.

Uh huh. Really? There's no way to verify that claim so show me a thread from the past year started by somebody under the age of 20 on here claiming the Earth is flat.

Thank God I don't know anyone who believes the Earth is flat or has a comparable level of ignorance about climate change. I don't count randoms on the internet as ppl I "know." I have taken posts from here & posted them on my own social media and on my school's private forum to ask ppl I actually do know if they've ever known anybody who believes that. If they believe that. The answers are no & no way. Some from my campus ministry even went so far as to suggest such ignorance by Christians online might actually not be from ppl who truly are Christians but from trolls posing as such wanting to perpetuate negative connotations about Christians, like that we're Flat Earthers who think climate change is a hoax. It's why Poe's Law was started right here. You honestly can't tell sometimes. It's not a far-out speculation considering how there's a mirror forum to this one that is all parody.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Global warming is a proven hoax. However, certain agenda driven information is out there stating that global warming is real.

Do your own research on both sides of the issue. If you don't read the authoritative documentation debunking G.W., then you are letting other people with an agenda designed to cause fear in anyone who will accept their slanted-bias message.

For instance.. did you know that a ship of climate change warriors were caught in the ice 9-4-2019. That is a lot of ice.. yet they claim that the ice is not enough for polar bears to survive.

They show zoomed in pictures of polar bears on or near small icebergs, ignoring the much larger icebergs in the same area. Then they tell you that the (pictured) small icebergs are due to global warming effect.
Or they show a picture of what looks like a malnouished polar bear on a small iceberg, then tell you that it's because polar bears don't have enough icebergs to hunt fish in the large bodies of water.
What they don't tell you is that there could well be other viable reasons that have nothing to do with global warming as to why the bear is malnourished.. such as (the picture actually implies) an injury or sickness that hinders swimming and thus hindering hunting.

Here's another sample.

The agenda bias.. Researchers at the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research (AWI) have discovered the Arctic sea ice has once again experienced ‘considerable melting.’

But the truth is.. This September, the extent of Arctic sea ice shrank to roughly 4.7 million square kilometres – but a few decades ago, it averaged around seven million square kilometres at the same time of year.

The loss falls in line with the averages of the past ten years and falls far below the numbers from 1979 to 2006.

The G.W. alarmists use bias grafts to support their claims, by only focusing on the current downward angle. They don't mention the over all ten year cycle.

Even their own graph shows that the sea ice minimum this year was eighth lowest, not third as they claim. It also shows that sea ice extent has been very stable since 2007, and shows no sign of disappearing as they keep on claiming.

As for their claim that "the Arctic continues to heat up", this is quite fake. RSS satellite data show that temperatures in the Arctic have changed very little since 2014.

The excerpted information above is taken from a Wordpress article.

Another example.

Global warming alarmist assertion: “Sea Levels Rising – Warmer temperatures are causing glaciers and polar ice sheets to melt, increasing the amount of water in the world’s seas and oceans.”

The facts: The alarmist assertion that polar ice sheets are melting is simply false. Although alarmists frequently point to a modest recent shrinkage in the Arctic ice sheet, that decline has been completely offset by ice sheet expansion in the Antarctic. Cumulatively, polar ice sheets have not declined at all since NASA satellite instruments began precisely measuring them 35 years ago.

Global warming alarmist assertion: “Shrinking Glaciers – In 2013, an iceberg larger than the city of Chicago broke off the Pine Island Glacier, the most important glacier of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. And at Montana’s Glacier National Park glaciers have gone from 150 to just 35 over the past century.”

The facts: Calling attention to anecdotal incidents of icebergs breaking off the Antarctic ice sheet, while deliberately ignoring the overall growth of the Antarctic ice sheet, is a misleading and favorite tactic of global warming alarmists. Icebergs break off the Antarctic ice sheet every year, with or without global warming, particularly in the Antarctic summer. However, a particular iceberg – no matter how large – breaking off the Antarctic ice sheet does not necessarily result in “Shrinking Glaciers” as EDF alleges. To the contrary, the Antarctic Ice Sheet has been growing at a steady and substantial pace ever since NASA satellites first began measuring the Antarctic ice sheet in 1979.

The excerpted information above is taken from an article on the Forbes.

Upvote 0

Zanting

not so new
Mar 15, 2012
✟47,296.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
True but the older one gets the more set in their ways they become and change is less likely, especially for those who identify themselves through others or movements. The young come with a natural spirit of rebellion for parental and institutional teaching for a reason. Without it tradition would rule instead of growth.

That is more myth then true...the aging baby boomers have gone in all kinds of different directions to better health and well-being and have done lots to keep there mind and bodies elastic and young. Being set in one`s way applies more appropriately to the generations decades before the baby boomers and the revolutionaries of the 60`s. They were all about change, and equality and freedoms and rights...not to mention that the charter for rights and freedoms only came into effect in 1983 in Canada...these are the minds you are claiming are set in their ways when they brought us to where we are now with equality and rights for individuals.

There are people who are set in their ways no matter what age they are...and usually do so when very young and impressionable.

• Agree
Reactions: Elteqay
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

Lol. It came from an opinion piece from a climate change denier who has no degrees in science who is a fellow at the Heartland Institute. Among other fringe conspiracies they've pushed for profit is their work with Phillip Morris to try to claim that second hand smoking wasn't harmful. I mean......:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lol. It came from an opinion piece from a climate change denier who has no degrees in science who is a fellow at the Heartland Institute. Among other fringe conspiracies they've pushed for profit is their work with Phillip Morris to try to claim that second hand smoking wasn't harmful. I mean......:rolleyes:
I doubt that everyone who supports the Bible all have the same interpretations. So just because I may not agree with a Christian concerning one topic of belief, doesn't mean that I won't find agreement with that Christian on another topic of belief.

The same goes for the climate change debunker article on Forbes. The side issues that you pointed out is an apologetic tactic to attempt to dismiss the facts concerning the false global warming by pointing out other issues that is supposed that anyone would disagree with.

But those side issues don't erase or lessen the scientific facts that I suspect you deny while favoring global warming to be real.

• Agree
Reactions: Zanting
Upvote 0

Zanting

not so new
Mar 15, 2012
✟47,296.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It's demonstrably true. Your telling me he's only one of among millions in that age group who believe the Earth is flat substantiates what I wrote above rather than refutes it.

Uh huh. Really? There's no way to verify that claim so show me a thread from the past year started by somebody under the age of 20 on here claiming the Earth is flat.

Thank God I don't know anyone who believes the Earth is flat or has a comparable level of ignorance about climate change. I don't count randoms on the internet as ppl I "know." I have taken posts from here & posted them on my own social media and on my school's private forum to ask ppl I actually do know if they've ever known anybody who believes that. If they believe that. The answers are no & no way. Some from my campus ministry even went so far as to suggest such ignorance by Christians online might actually not be from ppl who truly are Christians but from trolls posing as such wanting to perpetuate negative connotations about Christians, like that we're Flat Earthers who think climate change is a hoax. It's why Poe's Law was started right here. You honestly can't tell sometimes. It's not a far-out speculation considering how there's a mirror forum to this one that is all parody.

Well to be sure...it is not a well known phenomenon unless you delve into it I suppose...but they do have their little gatherings as such and you can certainly observe who attends...and oh my goodness...look at all those young people going in to listen to their latest guru...easy to observe...especially when you spend a lot of time at at Colleges and Universities.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I doubt that everyone who supports the Bible all have the same interpretations. So just because I may not agree with a Christian concerning one topic of belief, doesn't mean that I won't find agreement with that Christian on another topic of belief.

The same goes for the climate change debunker article on Forbes. The side issues that you pointed out is an apologetic tactic to attempt to dismiss the facts concerning the false global warming by pointing out other issues that is supposed that anyone would disagree with.

But those side issues don't erase or lessen the scientific facts that I suspect you deny while favoring global warming to be real.

Faith is based on.....faith. Yes of course there's always been many different interpretations of the Bible. The more respectable hermeneutics are ones where critical thought is also engaged. Where ppl look at the original translations of scripture & think through of what God's intent was w that passage, not just the words as they are written in English and read on your iPad in 2019.

Science is based on facts, not feelings or faith. The "climate change debunker" on Forbes isn't a scientist. He's paid to say what his clients want him to. Do you really truly think that the institute he's a fellow at had no ulterior motives when they tried to "debunk" that secondhand smoking is harmful on the behalf of a Phillip Morris? I mean.

• Winner
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Zanting

not so new
Mar 15, 2012
✟47,296.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And we were young. Why aren't the boomers rebelling now considering things have not gotten better.

They are...they are called Trump supporters. They are rebelling against a corrupt world system led by the democrats...ah but you`ll never believe that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Your posts show your prejudices for elders.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Indeed it is, and that`s why it`s a very good thing the world is watching and that Trump`s supporters surround the globe.
Yes thank heavens those outside the movement have a better perspective of world reality.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Faith is based on.....faith. Yes of course there's always been many different interpretations of the Bible. The more respectable hermeneutics are ones where critical thought is also engaged. Where ppl look at the original translations of scripture & think through of what God's intent was w that passage, not just the words as they are written in English and read on your iPad in 2019.

Science is based on facts, not feelings or faith. The "climate change debunker" on Forbes isn't a scientist. He's paid to say what his clients want him to. Do you really truly think that the institute he's a fellow at had no ulterior motives when they tried to "debunk" that secondhand smoking is harmful on the behalf of a Phillip Morris? I mean.
Whether it's true or not that he's paid to say what he does.. that matters little to me. The facts in that article are still the facts that come from scientific documented resources. I've read the articles from the scientists to know.

I only regret that I quickly picked out articles that I did in replying to the OP.
There are places that give a list of scientist who debunk global warming. Go and read them.
But then I'd probably still have people directing their objections to me because climate change supporters will use any tactic to attempt to discredit the facts.

But come to think of it.. what would stop me from thinking that any climate change supporter is paid to say what they do?

The guy who wrote the article debunking global warming may not have science credentials... but so what? Are any of us scientists? Yet here we are discussing the scientific topic of global warming. The OP uses a polar bear commercial as a basis to support his/her view of global warming. Is that something scientific?

No. The OP just alludes to the supposed common acceptance of global warming as a fact.

And you are seeking to discredit the articles that I provided? Maybe if it was a commercial you might be more inclined to accept it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Global warming is a proven hoax. However, certain agenda driven information is out there stating that global warming is real.

Do your own research on both sides of the issue. If you don't read the authoritative documentation debunking G.W., then you are letting other people with an agenda designed to cause fear in anyone who will accept their slanted-bias message.

For instance.. did you know that a ship of climate change warriors were caught in the ice 9-4-2019. That is a lot of ice.. yet they claim that the ice is not enough for polar bears to survive.

They show zoomed in pictures of polar bears on or near small icebergs, ignoring the much larger icebergs in the same area. Then they tell you that the (pictured) small icebergs are due to global warming effect.
Or they show a picture of what looks like a malnouished polar bear on a small iceberg, then tell you that it's because polar bears don't have enough icebergs to hunt fish in the large bodies of water.
What they don't tell you is that there could well be other viable reasons that have nothing to do with global warming as to why the bear is malnourished.. such as (the picture actually implies) an injury or sickness that hinders swimming and thus hindering hunting.

Here's another sample.

The agenda bias.. Researchers at the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research (AWI) have discovered the Arctic sea ice has once again experienced ‘considerable melting.’

But the truth is.. This September, the extent of Arctic sea ice shrank to roughly 4.7 million square kilometres – but a few decades ago, it averaged around seven million square kilometres at the same time of year.

The loss falls in line with the averages of the past ten years and falls far below the numbers from 1979 to 2006.

The G.W. alarmists use bias grafts to support their claims, by only focusing on the current downward angle. They don't mention the over all ten year cycle.

Even their own graph shows that the sea ice minimum this year was eighth lowest, not third as they claim. It also shows that sea ice extent has been very stable since 2007, and shows no sign of disappearing as they keep on claiming.

As for their claim that "the Arctic continues to heat up", this is quite fake. RSS satellite data show that temperatures in the Arctic have changed very little since 2014.

The excerpted information above is taken from a Wordpress article.

Another example.

Global warming alarmist assertion: “Sea Levels Rising – Warmer temperatures are causing glaciers and polar ice sheets to melt, increasing the amount of water in the world’s seas and oceans.”

The facts: The alarmist assertion that polar ice sheets are melting is simply false. Although alarmists frequently point to a modest recent shrinkage in the Arctic ice sheet, that decline has been completely offset by ice sheet expansion in the Antarctic. Cumulatively, polar ice sheets have not declined at all since NASA satellite instruments began precisely measuring them 35 years ago.

Global warming alarmist assertion: “Shrinking Glaciers – In 2013, an iceberg larger than the city of Chicago broke off the Pine Island Glacier, the most important glacier of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. And at Montana’s Glacier National Park glaciers have gone from 150 to just 35 over the past century.”

The facts: Calling attention to anecdotal incidents of icebergs breaking off the Antarctic ice sheet, while deliberately ignoring the overall growth of the Antarctic ice sheet, is a misleading and favorite tactic of global warming alarmists. Icebergs break off the Antarctic ice sheet every year, with or without global warming, particularly in the Antarctic summer. However, a particular iceberg – no matter how large – breaking off the Antarctic ice sheet does not necessarily result in “Shrinking Glaciers” as EDF alleges. To the contrary, the Antarctic Ice Sheet has been growing at a steady and substantial pace ever since NASA satellites first began measuring the Antarctic ice sheet in 1979.

Your quotations are aimed at a fellow named James Taylor, as he had published a misleading and ill informed article on climate change.

You said the Antarctic ice sheet is growing?

“From a standing start in the 1990s, thinning has spread inland progressively over the past 25 years – that is rapid in glaciological terms,” said Prof Andy Shepherd, of Leeds University in the UK, who led the study. “The speed of drawing down ice from an ice sheet used to be spoken of in geological timescales, but that has now been replaced by people’s lifetimes.”

He said the thinning of some ice streams had extended 300 miles inland along their 600-mile length. “More than 50% of the Pine Island and Thwaites glacier basins have been affected by thinning in the past 25 years. We are past halfway and that is a worry.”

Researchers already knew that ice was being lost from West Antarctica, but the new work pinpoints where it is happening and how rapidly. This will enable more accurate projections to be made of sea level rises and may aid preparations for these rises.

(theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/16/thinning-of-antarctic-ice-sheets-spreading-inland-rapidly-study)

Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We have just gone through an 18 month drought here. Not as serious as in '87 or '61 but a drought. Thing is no one seemed to notice except farmers as thee heat was not out of control like with the two I mentioned. The only thing most noticed was a lack of mosquitoes but few associated it to the drought. It wasn't until the media recently started taking about how dry it was now that it started raining, that they even though about it but of course now drought is the catch phrase of choice. Sheep rarely pay attention until they have been informed right or wrong, and they think they are missing out on a good stampede.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your quotations are aimed at a fellow named James Taylor,
They aren't aimed at him, they are from him.
as he had published a misleading and ill informed article on climate change.
That is what I could say about any article you provide that is supporting global warming.
You said the Antarctic ice sheet is growing?
I didn't say it, I was quoting from the article.
“From a standing start in the 1990s, thinning has spread inland progressively over the past 25 years – that is rapid in glaciological terms,” said Prof Andy Shepherd, of Leeds University in the UK, who led the study. “The speed of drawing down ice from an ice sheet used to be spoken of in geological timescales, but that has now been replaced by people’s lifetimes.”

He said the thinning of some ice streams had extended 300 miles inland along their 600-mile length. “More than 50% of the Pine Island and Thwaites glacier basins have been affected by thinning in the past 25 years. We are past halfway and that is a worry.”

Researchers already knew that ice was being lost from West Antarctica, but the new work pinpoints where it is happening and how rapidly. This will enable more accurate projections to be made of sea level rises and may aid preparations for these rises.

(theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/16/thinning-of-antarctic-ice-sheets-spreading-inland-rapidly-study)
The scientists g.w. supporters and g.w. debunkers are writing articles that debunk each other. Calling each other wrong.

I could in response to your post give excerpts from a NASA study that states that the gains of ice are greater than the losses.

But I see no point in essentially having the two scientists argue their points back and forth through the articles that you use versus the articles that I use.

My deciding to quit here is in no way to be considered a win for you because the scientists are still arguing it out elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Zanting

not so new
Mar 15, 2012
✟47,296.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes thank heavens those outside the movement have a better perspective of world reality.

Outside what movement...the one that`s exposing the corruption on a world wide scale...why just in the US alone there are democratic lawyers, judges, mayors and other officials being indicted and convicted all over the democratic map for fraud, conspiracy, racketeering etc...you mean that movement...well I like that movement if such a movement exists because it`s getting rid of corruption on a world wide scale and I`m happy to support it...100%

• Agree
Reactions: ilovejcsog
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Whether it's true or not that he's paid to say what he does.. that matters little to me.

That encapsulates the entire problem. He says what you want to believe it's true so that's all that matters to you, even if it's not true & even if it's said for a self-serving agenda.

The facts in that article are still the facts that come from scientific documented resources. I've read the articles from the scientists to know.

Uh huh. You can quote mine from any scientific document ever to change around what it actually says. It's why climate change deniers earned their reputation for being dishonest.

I only regret that I quickly picked out articles that I did in replying to the OP.
There are places that give a list of scientist who debunk global warming. Go and read them.
But then I'd probably still have people directing their objections to me because climate change supporters will use any tactic to attempt to discredit the facts.

Uh huh. Climate change supporters try tactics like, you know, facts to discredit the nonsense presented as alternative "facts."

But come to think of it.. what would stop me from thinking that any climate change supporter is paid to say what they do?

Facts.

The guy who wrote the article debunking global warming may not have science credentials... but so what? Are any of us scientists? Yet here we are discussing the scientific topic of global warming. The OP uses a polar bear commercial as a basis to support his/her view of global warming. Is that something scientific?

Hey that's a super great philosophy. I mean we all have teeth! We all have opinions about our teeth! So who cares if the person wanting to give you a root canal actually has any credentials so long as somebody on Yelp said he was good.

Yes there actually are climate scientists with advanced degrees in it, including several of my professors. Have you ever studied this in any academic environment where you've been taught by somebody who actually does have academic credentials to teach the subject?

No. The OP just alludes to the supposed common acceptance of global warming as a fact.

And you are seeking to discredit the articles that I provided? Maybe if it was a commercial you might be more inclined to accept it?

His articles already have been discredited. They're a joke. Why on earth would you think if it was a commercial I'd be more inclined to accept it? You mean if it was made even more blatant that he was being paid to say what he did?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.