Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We were married in November and ended up with a surprise pregnancy when our son was conceived right away. We have not really much newlyweds time to figure out how to keep the spark going when it was just the two of us, and now are having to figure out how to keep the fire burning when we became a family of 3. I'm not complaining... our son is a huge blessing! I'm just curious how you kept the love alive and stayed connected to your spouses when you had new babies.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like my wife and I. Our first was born two weeks before our first anniversary.

The hardest part is making sure you keep each other first. It’s difficult when you have this cute little bundle that demands so much, and who you just want to hold all of the time.

But try to go out every week, or every other week, and when your out, try not to talk about your son. It takes effort, but after five kids and 20 years later, it’s worth it.

• Agree
Reactions: OK Jeff
Upvote 0

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's tough, because while it can be good to be intentional and make it regular, you also need to be realistic. When we had a newborn in the house, it was near impossible to have a standing dinner-and-movie-without-the-kids type of date on a regular basis, especially if mom is nursing. But it was possible to watch a movie with popcorn on the sofa in between/among feedings. Or the husband cooks a special, breastfeeding friendly meal. Or you just hang and talk about non-baby things while sitting on the bed playing with your baby. Prioritizing your spouse to me is more about attitude, and less about activities. If the attitude is right, the activities will follow when it's the appropriate time to do them.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I told my wife we shouldn't have kids right away and should enjoy some time just the two of us because once kids come into the picture, things get harder to do/deal with in marriage. I mean I love kids but no one can say that to some degree they make things less stressful.

Most couples I know that want to fan the flame either have to do "things" quick. Or they hire a baby sitter or things of this nature so they can go on a date night, go home or elsewhere to be intimate...etc.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We did not plan to have kids right away. We can't afford an evening or weekend sitter so we set aside a couple hours on weekend evenings to do something together at home after baby is in bed.
That works, too. With my wife’s health issues, we will lock ourselves in our room with Chinese food. :)

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟697,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That works, too. With my wife’s health issues, we will lock ourselves in our room with Chinese food. :)
Lol that would be fun if we didn't have to share with baby since we are in a one bedroom!

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Congrats on the new bundle!

Promise I am not trying to be a downer - but don't worry about keeping the flame alive - focus on keeping Christ center in your marriage. Go with the flow during this new season of marriage, and all the new seasons to come. Enjoy them!

Focus on God's definition of love and marriage and be careful NOT to get sucked into what Cosmo magazine, etc. and secular movies portray about "romance" and "excitement" in marriage.

Be sober and vigilant because the enemy would love to sow discontentment, division, and discouragement into your mind and marriage at this stage or any stage really. The devil hates marriage and family - the first intuitions created by God.

I will be praying for you to have extra energy, and a little one that sleeps a lot ;)

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Giiiirl, my husband and I are the undisputed and reigning King and Queen of this topic. We have one child together and two more from his first marriage. We were broke, lived in a small two bedroom apartment, had at least one but usually 3 Kids around, and our youngest was a nightmare on wheels for the first 14-18 months. He started crying when he was born and didn’t stop until he was almost 2 (thank you acid reflux). So that meant no money for sitters, even if we had it nobody would watch 1-3 Kids with one being a screamer... Oh, and my husband didn’t have a set schedule. Maybe he’d be home in the evenings, maybe he wouldn’t. Maybe he’d work 5 Days, maybe he’d work 2 Days, 3 evenings, and an overnight. It was bonkers... But some of my favorite date memories were from that era because we got so creative on how we were building our time together.

One thing I did was set aside $5-$10 a week (we were so broke we really couldn’t afford that, lol)... Then I’d spend part of it getting something stupidly indulgent when I went grocery shopping... Usually frozen Chinese food or a junk food that sounded so stupidly ridiculous we had to try it (I got a deep dish pizza filled with mashed potatoes, topped with cheese and bacon once... It was so bad it was awesome), plus maybe a bag of chips and a cheap bottle of wine or a 6 pack of something like Mike’s Hard something once a month. Then I’d save it until a date night.

When there was a night where he was Home and I wasn’t wiped out and all the kids were mostly down, we’d whip out the junk food and just have this big, communal spread of stuff we’d put out on the coffee table and just eat and talk and watch a show (we picked a show we’d only watch together on streaming Netflix so we’d always have something to watch). Sometimes we’d do it once a week, sometimes twice, sometimes we’d skip a week because it didn’t work out, but I always added to the stockpile and we never planned it, persay. We’d generally just look at each other one evening and say “tonight is date night, isn’t it?” Sometimes it would be during a day off, sometimes not, we’d just see how we felt. One time, we had 3 bags of different types of chips and we had a “Chopped” night and cooked these crazy foods together (Cheeto Mac and cheese and chocolate drizzled Doritos, LoL) and it was awful but awesome.

Since I generally had money left over, I’d save it and maybe once every 4-6 weeks we’d get a card game or board game or video game and play that on date nights. It all depended. But I treated that $5-10 a week as the most important bill in the house and we ALWAYS made at least $5 happen. And we got so creative on how we used it sometimes. Once we went to the dollar store and picked out “the perfect gift” for each other and gave it to each other over dinner. I don’t know, it sounds so dorky but really, it was so awesome.

I think the key is to make sure, no matter how little you have, to set aside some money (even if it’s just $5 a week or every other week) that is just for you. There's something so tangibly romantic about it... Or at least there was for us. During those early lean years it was like that $5-10 physically represented our relationship and what we wanted. No matter what, no matter all our bills, all the demands on us and our time, this stupidly small amount of money is ours and will always be ours and we will always make room to make sure we have it. And we did amazing things with it every week. Lol!

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to go against the grain and say, the thing we had to do early on was prioritise sleep. I am an angry depressed banshee when seriously sleep deprived, which is very very bad for our marriage (and everything else).

So for the first six months or so, almost everything revolved around sleep routines, for bub and for me. Husband would get up once a night and do a feed and change so I could have five hours unbroken... and in return that meant I was able to be affectionate and find some energy and head space for his needs rather than being a drained and broken zombie.

I know that sounds unromantic, but I'd say, you can't fan that spark if you aren't looking after yourself (one another) well enough to have a bit of energy and enthusiasm about the importance of that spark in the first place...

Upvote 0