How do you effectively convey intelligence to the American president who chooses to believe the Russ

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
According to McCabe's new book, Trump took Putin's word on North Korea's (lack) of missile capability of his own intelligence community *explicitly voicing concerns over Trump's faith in Putin on this issue*.

Interview question to McCabe:
Bertrand: That reminds me of a passage that jumped out at me in your book: “He thought North Korea did not have the capability to launch such missiles. He said he knew this because Vladimir Putin had told him so … the president said he believed Putin despite the PDB [Presidential Daily Briefing] briefer telling him that this was not consistent with any of the intelligence that the US possessed.” How do you explain that?

McCabe: It’s inexplicable. You have to put yourself in context. So I am in the director’s chair as acting director. My senior executive who had accompanied the briefer to that briefing, who sat in the room with the president and others, and heard the comments, comes back to the Hoover Building to tell me how the briefing went. And he sat at the conference table, and he just looked down at the table with his hands out in front of him. I was like, “How did it go?” And he just—he couldn’t find words to characterize it. We just sat back and said, “What do we do with this now?” How do you effectively convey intelligence to the American president who chooses to believe the Russians over his own intelligence services? And then tells them that to their faces?

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
According to McCabe's new book, Trump took Putin's word on North Korea's (lack) of missile capability of his own intelligence community *explicitly voicing concerns over Trump's faith in Putin on this issue*.

Bertrand: That reminds me of a passage that jumped out at me in your book: “He thought North Korea did not have the capability to launch such missiles. He said he knew this because Vladimir Putin had told him so … the president said he believed Putin despite the PDB [Presidential Daily Briefing] briefer telling him that this was not consistent with any of the intelligence that the US possessed.” How do you explain that?

McCabe: It’s inexplicable. You have to put yourself in context. So I am in the director’s chair as acting director. My senior executive who had accompanied the briefer to that briefing, who sat in the room with the president and others, and heard the comments, comes back to the Hoover Building to tell me how the briefing went. And he sat at the conference table, and he just looked down at the table with his hands out in front of him. I was like, “How did it go?” And he just—he couldn’t find words to characterize it. We just sat back and said, “What do we do with this now?” How do you effectively convey intelligence to the American president who chooses to believe the Russians over his own intelligence services? And then tells them that to their faces?

I think the more important thing to explain is why does the Republican leadership still work overtime to protect him from any consequence for his behavior.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the more important thing to explain is why does the Republican leadership still work overtime to protect him from any consequence for his behavior.
I think it's because

a) they love looting the Treasury
b) Trump pretty much broke the shell of the Republican party, and once he's gone, the reorg could toss a lot of these people out on their ears.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He's managed to stay a step ahead of all the collective minds in the media. A complete idiot wouldn't be able to do that.
OK, he’s not a “complete” idiot.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How is he a step ahead?
Wow! Avoiding scrutiny from the media; what a commendable quality?! Isn't our God-Emperor Trump amazing?
He's not avoiding scrutiny, but he knows how to work them, unlike President Bush. He's able to frustrate them and control the narrative in spite of all the crazy stuff he says, and perhaps because of it.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,425,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“When a president — any president — denigrates or ignores factual information presented by the intelligence community . . . he or she is sending a message to the intelligence community: ‘Don’t tell me things I don’t want to hear.’” Sen. Angus King (I-Maine)

....Dan Coats will be the next "disloyal" official to go.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a14d7fec96a_story.html?utm_term=.7e7e474fb620

Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Clearly it is very concerning when you hear reports of the president distrusting and disregarding the advice of the intelligence community.

That said, you have to take this with a grain of salt. Consider the source. McCabe certainly has a vested interest in portraying Trump as inept.

Second, Trump could have been saying what he did in order to test / light a fire under his intel advisors. He says a lot of things. Do we really believe he is a paragon of honesty and that he doesn't have ulterior motives for the things he says?

Finally, the intelligence community is far from perfect. They have gotten it wrong before--including because they let their biases cloud their judgement. The whole justification for the invasion of Iraq is one such example of that. Skepticism of intel reports is not always a bad thing.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Clearly it is very concerning when you hear reports of the president distrusting and disregarding the advice of the intelligence community.

That said, you have to take this with a grain of salt. Consider the source. McCabe certainly has a vested interest in portraying Trump as inept.

Second, Trump could have been saying what he did in order to test / light a fire under his intel advisors. He says a lot of things. Do we really believe he is a paragon of honesty and that he doesn't have ulterior motives for the things he says?

Finally, the intelligence community is far from perfect. They have gotten it wrong before--including because they let their biases cloud their judgement. The whole justification for the invasion of Iraq is one such example of that. Skepticism of intel reports is not always a bad thing.
So, why not skepticism of what Russia says?

Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, how do you know Trump isn't skeptical of what Russia says? Because McCabe says he isn't? I'm not sure McCabe is your best source for what is really going on between the ears of #45

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟366,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Again, how do you know Trump isn't skeptical of what Russia says? Because McCabe says he isn't? I'm not sure McCabe is your best source for what is really going on between the ears of #45
That may be but unfortunately 45 himself isn't the best source riteit given his ease with lying.

Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That may be but unfortunately 45 himself isn't the best source riteit given his ease with lying.
Then consider his actions instead of getting hung up on his words. What actions has he taken with regards to North Korean missile capabilities?

Trump has actually done quite a bit that shows he takes the North Korean threat seriously:

- His administration deployed THAAD to South Korea in 2017. While the agreement was worked out by the previous administration, Trump still gave the go-ahead.

- Under Trump, the DoD dusted off/updated Korea war plans and began military-wide preparations. For instance, in 2017, the Army changed corps and division level exercises to Korea scenarios.

- Trump pressured China to impose sanctions on North Korea, and up until the trade war, China largely acceded to those demands.

- Trump, for better or for worse, engaged in a twitter war with KJU. A lot of people characterize those tweets as unhinged, but it was actually a form of diplomacy to send the message that the US was not to be trifled with.

- Building off all of the above, Trump aggressively pursued peace talks with KJU. US administrations have been kicking the can down the road for half a century regarding North Korea. So why pursue peace talks now? Probably because North Korea finally has the capability to directly threaten the US with missiles.​

I'm not trying to take a position on the appropriateness or effectiveness of any of these actions. I'm merely pointing out that they seem to counter McCabe's assertion that Trump disregarded intel about the seriousness of North Korean missile threats.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
- Trump, for better or for worse, engaged in a twitter war with KJU. A lot of people characterize those tweets as unhinged, but it was actually a form of diplomacy to send the message that the US was not to be trifled with.

Not to be trifled with because the President of the United States was acting like a angsty teenager via social media and is therefore so unpredictable and irrational that he's likely capable of almost anything. Yup, I'd definitely label that whole episode as unhinged.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our Russian comrades would never mislead us. President Putin’s feelings are hurt at the mere suggestion.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I meant more "why is the average Trump supporter that I have seen talk about this has pure trust in Putin?"

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Because with his court appointments and the promise of more, he appears to a substantial fraction of his base to be realizing their dream: an end run of the First Amendment.
As long as that prospect remains viable, Trump's evangelical supporters will excuse, ignore or try to explain away anything else he does.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
He's not avoiding scrutiny, but he knows how to work them, unlike President Bush. He's able to frustrate them and control the narrative in spite of all the crazy stuff he says, and perhaps because of it.

In what way has Trump "worked the media" better than Bush? What consequences did Bush face as a result of the media that Bush is avoiding? Please elaborate on your claim so I can try to determine if there's any substance to it by which it can be evaluated.

• Optimistic
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0