• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How do you cope with diabetes type 2 or 1?

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
You got to do 3 things--
1) Get on a low carb diet. <60 carbs a meal, 3 meals a day.
2) Exercise and get down to a healthy weight
3) Be diligent in seeing the doctor and taking proscribed medication.

When my husband was diagnosed, we were required to take a "living with diabetes" class at the local hospital. It was helpful.

• Agree
Reactions: RC1970
Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My wife has type 2, and manages it on her own. She refused to go on insulin, she witnessed what it did to her other family members with it. She does well with a low carb diet and lots of exercise. Her A1C tests prove that you can manage it if you are very diligent.

• Friendly
Reactions: Knee V
Upvote 0

jsimms615

Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are big differences between type 1 and type 2. Type 2 is about insulin resistance where as Type 1 means the pancreas does not produce insulin on its own anymore. So, while diet is important in both cases, in type 1 it is important to also dose the appropriate amount of insulin to cover foods that you eat and also have appropriate levels of a long term insulin to help the body maintain its sugar levels. Exercise also can help in both cases

Upvote 0

BryanJohnMaloney

Jun 15, 2017
Carmel
✟25,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife has type 2, and manages it on her own. She refused to go on insulin, she witnessed what it did to her other family members with it. She does well with a low carb diet and lots of exercise. Her A1C tests prove that you can manage it if you are very diligent.

Insulin is never the first choice of treatment for type 2 diabetes, in any case. She shouldn't have had to have "refused".

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are their ways to do it and what do you eat?
The first is a very broad question, since there are two types of diabetes and many ways to control it, through oral meds, injections, insulin, diet, etc.

For what to eat, there are many reputable websites. Start with the ADA, or other association like that. If you are talking about type 2, see a dietician and/or a diabetic educator (usually a nurse with added training and credentials). For type 1, you should have an endocrinologist, not just a PCP, and definitely be using a dietician to come up with meal plans.

Upvote 0

toocoolblue

Jan 24, 2022
Fresno
✟1,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1. Get a Blood Glucose Monitor. (Dexcom or Freestyle Libre2)
2. Journal. Write down everything.
Date, Time, Glucose Level, Insulin amount injected, site of injection. (you must move that around)
then
Date, Time, Food type, Total Carbs.

Soon it will become apparent what you can and can't eat. Inject 15 minutes before you eat, so the insulin and the food will best cancel each other out. Constantly check your feet and legs.

That's about it.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are their ways to do it and what do you eat?

I think it likely depends on what type of diabetes you have, and how severe it might be, plus your age.

I'm not diabetic, but my daughter was a type 1 diabetic. She had to check her blood sugar 5 times a day on average, and 4 shots a day. (she used both long acting and fast acting insulin).

Her fight was keeping weight on while managing her blood sugar. For her she had a problem being underweight. The doctors wanted her to weigh 110 lbs, but she usually hovered right around 100lbs. 105 was her highest weight but it was so difficult keeping her there.

I think type 2 are usually overweight and have to lose the extra weight.

In both types you are eating for your blood sugar. You are allowed x amount of carbs, fats and proteins a day (your choice how you eat so long as you stay inside the correct amount)

My daughter ate 6 times a day, 3 meals and 3 snacks so she always had some fuel going into her tank and it helped keep her blood sugar a tiny bit more constant.

Of course she needed filler food as well, food that gave bulk but low in calories. You can get that with things like jello, vegetables, rice cakes etc.

When buying jello or anything sugar free, just because it's sugar free doesn't mean it's good for you. You have to pay attention to sugar alcohol (that's bad for diabetics) and limit that the same as you limit carbs - and according to her doctors it's worse than real sugar.

Once you get used to the diet the doctors and nutritionists put you on, it's just life. No big deal, you just pay more attention to food and exercise than most people. My daughter was a cheerleader as well as on the basketball team in school.. so while too much exercise can cause a diabetic to crash, with good management you can live a normal life, like everyone else.

She ate birthday cake and such on occasions such as a birthday party etc.. you just have to plan around it, and for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kdm1984

WELS
Oct 8, 2016
SW MO, USA
✟38,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've had type one since I was a little girl (1995). My son now has PKU, a metabolic disorder where he cannot process a specific amino acid (phenylalanine) in protein properly, so I can model dietary adherence and self-control for him.

To manage my type one, I monitor my sugar carefully. I still get sick from highs and lows, so I try to avoid them! As far as food, I can technically eat anything so long as I give myself enough insulin, but I like to aim for foods that have less of a pronounced effect on my blood sugar. I like a variety of foods, and enjoy many vegetables, so it's not much of an issue. I lost my sweet tooth when I was a teenager and haven't had a cavity since. My A1C is also almost always below 7, and in the rare times it's over 7, it's only barely so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freth

Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟372,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2018, at the age of 47. My doctor put me on medication immediately, and set up an appointment with a nutritionist to go over the specifics of what I needed to change. I went vegetarian, maintained a proper diet, and exercised 30 minutes/5 times a week. My next blood test showed normal numbers, but my doctor kept me on the meds for several months before giving me the okay to stop taking them. I lost weight because of the exercise, which was something I struggled with my whole life.

After learning how to manage it with proper diet and exercise, and removing most of the sugar from my diet (I eat fruit only), I have been able to stay normal and off medication. I would say controlling carbs, portions and sugar, combined with exercise, are key.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟415,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What I do is 1.) Eat healthy 2.) Eat less 3.) Use a drug called Ozempic so it surpresses my appetite and helps me loose weight (I've lost ten+ pounds so far!!) and 4.) Drink diet sodas as opposed to the regular kind. 5.) I am also on the dexcom g6 system.

Upvote 0