how do you climb a mountain with health issues?

Oct 8, 2012
✟21,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i wont share all but I have health issues such as stress related issues like migraines
and if i over exert myself it plays up but i wondered if there were others like me
if you want climb a mountain with friends you do you dont let that stuff stop you
were moving to a mountainous area soon and would quite like to climb some of these mountains.
wahts some advice other than pace myself. ive got medication i can take with me and my health issues arent serious.

Kauaeranga Valley

Im not from north America by the way

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
i wont share all but I have health issues such as stress related issues like migraines
and if i over exert myself it plays up but i wondered if there were others like me
if you want climb a mountain with friends you do you dont let that stuff stop you
were moving to a mountainous area soon and would quite like to climb some of these mountains.
wahts some advice other than pace myself. ive got medication i can take with me and my health issues arent serious.

Kauaeranga Valley

Im not from north America by the way
Start small. Seriously, find a hill that takes an hour to walk up and down and as you get in shape move up from there. Or if that is too much, merely go up as far as you can and down again. You want to build yourself up before you try anything on the strenuous side.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Think about what makes things stressful for you. Is it elevation gain? Or heat? Or something else.

Plan ahead for what to do if you have problems. For anyone it can turn out far better to simply stop and rest if you push too hard, that is double for anyone with health issues.

I personally prefer loop hikes to in and out on the same trail. That said an add on to teh good advice of starting slow is that when you are increasing how hard a hike you are doing that it is something where you can bail if you are having health issues. Sometimes that excludes loop hikes. It also excludes in and out hikes where it is significantly easier going in than going back out.

Remember carrying too much water is self correcting, to little can be fatal. With health issues this becomes more important. Always have enough that you have zero hesitation about stopping and resting if needed.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2012
✟21,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From a couple of past experiences where i climbed 400 m (this was more than a decade ago )I'd say pushing too hard and heat or tho heat it depends . does anyone in groups split up into the ' slower group' and ' faster group' , I have CB radios. I could imagine I would slow the group down as I'm unfit as well as the other slower hikers/ trampers slowing the pace down -Anyway just thoughts, good to discuss it with you all beforehand.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
From a couple of past experiences where i climbed 400 m (this was more than a decade ago )I'd say pushing too hard and heat or tho heat it depends . does anyone in groups split up into the ' slower group' and ' faster group' , I have CB radios. I could imagine I would slow the group down as I'm unfit as well as the other slower hikers/ trampers slowing the pace down -Anyway just thoughts, good to discuss it with you all beforehand.

Generally people do not split up on day hikes. For backpacking trips that is more of an option. It generally is avoided unless a well traveled trail or at least one experienced person in each group.

What can be an option is to find hikes where there are options at the end or the like. For example in Yosemite one can take the trail to Vernal and Nevada falls. The weaker hikers can stop at Emerald pool above Vernal falls (which is far enough above to be safe) and the stronger ones can go to the top of Nevada falls. 20 years ago teh super ambitious could then continue on to the back side of Half Dome, now one needs to get reservations years ahead to do that. Or In Sequoia you could do the loop around Crescent Meadow and everyone could the the path leading over a hill at Tharp's Log and explore the maze of trails. Your CBs would be great there.

Thinking about it any hike to a smallish lake is a good possibility. The weaker hikers get to teh lake and stop or walk along the shore or even fish while the stronger ones walk all the way round the lake.

Trips to ghost towns or for that matter anything that one can explore at the end also can work well. The weaker ones can simply rest or do a little exploring while the stronger ones explore like crazy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I definitely agree with those above, to start slow and build up. This year I wasn't able to get to the mtns to hike every weekend. So in the spring I started out jogging, as in slow and only for a mile. Now I'm up to a faster past and 5 miles. I have only 4 hikes in but the last one was 10 miles and my body didn't hurt afterwards because of the jogging.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2012
✟21,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I definitely agree with those above, to start slow and build up. This year I wasn't able to get to the mtns to hike every weekend. So in the spring I started out jogging, as in slow and only for a mile. Now I'm up to a faster past and 5 miles. I have only 4 hikes in but the last one was 10 miles and my body didn't hurt afterwards because of the jogging.
really good advice

Upvote 0