Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By this question, I mean in the sense of actually celebrating it. In what ways are you festive and enjoy the time you spend, both with Him and with your fellow believers in Christ and/or with your family?

Tell me especially how you enjoy the word of G*d together. Testimonies are welcome concerning any and all of it.

On a theological note (for any who wish to respond to this), I have personal concepts of what I believe the Sabbath was ultimately designed to represent which I've been formulating, and I think it centers around the celebration of harvests, on both a personal and eschatological level:

Eschatologically, I think it represents the end-time harvest and millennium, when G*d and his servants will finally rest from their labors to enjoy the "day" the sickle was thrust in and the harvest was reaped from the earth, to the celebration of all. On a more personal level, I suspect when His people gathered on the 7th day, it was to be a harvest of the revelations and teachings He had given His children during the week (1 Corinthians 14:26), that we may enjoy the weekly harvest of G*d on a practical and spiritual level. Feasting together would be a reflection of this spiritual reality in the natural.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.
Hidden In Him

• Informative
Reactions: DennisTate

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
By this question, I mean in the sense of actually celebrating it. In what ways are you festive and enjoy the time you spend, both with Him and with your fellow believers in Christ and/or with your family?

Tell me especially how you enjoy the word of G*d together. Testimonies are welcome concerning any and all of it.

On a theological note (for any who wish to respond to this), I have personal concepts of what I believe the Sabbath was ultimately designed to represent which I've been formulating, and I think it centers around the celebration of harvests, on both a personal and eschatological level:

Eschatologically, I think it represents the end-time harvest and millennium, when G*d and his servants will finally rest from their labors to enjoy the "day" the sickle was thrust in and the harvest was reaped from the earth, to the celebration of all. On a more personal level, I suspect when His people gathered on the 7th day, it was to be a harvest of the revelations and teachings He had given His children during the week (1 Corinthians 14:26), that we may enjoy the weekly harvest of G*d on a practical and spiritual level. Feasting together would be a reflection of this spiritual reality in the natural.

Hidden In Him

I tend to hit the internet and reply to many discussions on religious and philosophical questions in the hope that a few people may benefit and make a turn toward G-d...... and others.

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Around the farm, there are still plenty of chores that still have to be done, but I do like to get out in God's beautiful creation of nature and meditate or even go fishing on a nice quiet lake. Like this one on the Echo Trail.
WP_20170701_008~2 (1).jpg

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Around the farm, there are still plenty of chores that still have to be done, but I do like to get out in God's beautiful creation of nature and meditate or even go fishing on a nice quiet lake. Like this one on the Echo Trail.View attachment 235349

Beautiful!
I've been known to relax in my tree stand on a nice fall Saturday as well.
Zzzzzzz..JPG

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

My greatest joy comes during the time I am in a holy convocation with other brethren. Hearing the praise reports, lifting up the prayer requests knowing YHWH hears every one of them, singing, worshiping YHWH, having lively discussions as we study the Word together, enjoying a fellowship meal together, etc. Outside of that time, I experience more of a personal joy in studying His Word, writing an article/study for my website, preparing a teaching for the congregation, etc.

I never looked at the Sabbath in relation to the actual harvest of souls. To me, Shavuot and Yom Kippurim speak about the harvest of souls in the resurrection and Sukkot speaks about the celebrating and rejoicing during the millennium once the harvest is complete. The Sabbath speaks of the rest from our labors (once the millennium begins) of sowing seeds, watering, and weeding
we did prior to the millennium. It represents 1,000 years of mankind resting from 6,000 years of working.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
My greatest joy comes during the time I am in a holy convocation with other brethren. Hearing the praise reports, lifting up the prayer requests knowing YHWH hears every one of them, singing, worshiping YHWH, having lively discussions as we study the Word together, enjoying a fellowship meal together, etc. Outside of that time, I experience more of a personal joy in studying His Word, writing an article/study for my website, preparing a teaching for the congregation, etc.

I never looked at the Sabbath in relation to the actual harvest of souls. To me, Shavuot and Yom Kippurim speak about the harvest of souls in the resurrection and Sukkot speaks about the celebrating and rejoicing during the millennium once the harvest is complete. The Sabbath speaks of the rest from our labors (once the millennium begins) of sowing seeds, watering, and weeding
we did prior to the millennium. It represents 1,000 years of mankind resting from 6,000 years of working.
I think of it as a big Sabbath clock of the Universe... We have
Sabbath Week
Sabbath Months
Sabbath Week of Weeks
Sabbath Month of Months
Sabbath Years
Sabbath Years of Years
Sabbath Decades
Sabbath Week of Years
And I probably missed some.. but when they all line up we will have the start of the Millinium Sabbath rest.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think of it as a big Sabbath clock of the Universe... We have
Sabbath Week
Sabbath Months
Sabbath Week of Weeks
Sabbath Month of Months

Sabbath Years
Sabbath Years of Years
Sabbath Decades
Sabbath Week of Years

And I probably missed some.. but when they all line up we will have the start of the Millinium Sabbath rest.
:scratch: What are the things I bolded?

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This sounds fantastic. I do indeed plan on adding some restful and leisure activities to the end of the day (either Saturday morning or afternoon as I feel like), but for me the greatest joy would be in the prayers, the worshipping, and the word as well, even if forced to do so alone.
To me, Shavuot and Yom Kippurim speak about the harvest of souls in the resurrection and Sukkot speaks about the celebrating and rejoicing during the millennium once the harvest is complete.

Looking forward to having some discussions with you down the road on the spiritual meaning of the feasts of G*d (expect my thoughts to be untraditional but thought-provoking).

Blessings in Christ Jesus, and thanks for you helpful responses the last few days.

Reactions: gadar perets
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

Hidden In Him
IMHO Shabbat has nothing to do with end times or harvests. It has to do with remembering
1. That God is creator and we are creation and
2. God delivered Israel from slavery in Egypt with a mighty hand.

Shabbat is, as Rabbi Donin would say, an island in time. It is innately sacred, but unless we do things to show ourselves it is sacred, we forget. I will tell you what I do to set the Shabbat apart from the other six days of the week, to make it a day of rest, a day of holiness, and a day of joy.

I get out of Shabbat what I put into Shabbat. That means I begin getting ready for Shabbat on Thursday by doing the shopping and cleaning the home. That way on Friday I can concentrate on the cooking and last minute preparations.

My behavioral guidelines for Shabbat can be found in the 39 forbidden labors (melachot) http://halachipedia.com/index.php?title=Index_of_Laws_of_Shabbat_by_the_39_Melachot and UMJC's Standards of Observance regarding Shabbat http://ourrabbis.org/main/halakhah-mainmenu-26/shabbat-mainmenu-30 .

I light shabbat candles just before sundown and recite the blessing. It is amazing how in that moment, when all the hustle and bustle ends, and the candles are lit, I can feel the Sabbath peace come to rest over my home.

One of my greatest pleasures of the day is the Friday night Shabbat Table (evening meal). I have cooked food before sundown that is special for the holy day. I have a white table cloth and I use my best dishes. It is the only time of the week that I drink a half cup of wine (good ol' Manischevitz.) There is a special blessing over the wine (Kiddush) and over the bread (HaMotzi). There is also a special blessing for the washing of hands. The table looks so beautiful with its tablecloth and candles, it reminds me of the children's song, "The Sabbath table is like a princess dressed in white. She wears a crown of sparkling jewels burning bright." Sometimes I'll have company and we'll stay up late discussing Torah. After I'm finished I say grace after meals (HaMotzi).

Saturday morning can go one of two ways.

Sometimes I get up and put on my very best clothes and go to synagogue. We have a Torah class, followed by prayers (Shacharit) including the reading of the Torah scrolls.

Other times I say, Heck, It's a day of Rest! And I sleep in late, and I don't get out of my PJ's and I wear my favorite bunny slippers all day. I especially like this option because I prefer not to travel/drive on Shabbos.

I usually have special snack foods for the day -- Shabbat is the only day of the week that I'll eat sweets. I also have a yummy crock pot meal going that I started before sundown on Friday, so I get a nice hot meal Saturday at lunch time.

Mostly I read a lot on Shabbat. I try to read spiritually uplifting books, including fiction although that's less common.

I reeeeeally reeeeally make the effort to stay off the net, but I'm such a terrible addict. Many Saturdays the best I can manage is to limit myself to religious sites. I will continue to work on this.

I always take a walk. I love to enjoy the birds and trees, and connecting with my neighbors.

When twilight comes, I end Shabbat with a short ritual called Havdalah, where I sip wine, smell spices, and light a multi-wicked candle (torch) along with blessings.

Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IMHO Shabbat has nothing to do with end times or harvests. It has to do with remembering
1. That God is creator and we are creation and
2. God delivered Israel from slavery in Egypt with a mighty hand.

I understand. I base my interpretations on the symbolism inherent in the gathering of manna in the wilderness, which represents the gathering of spiritual bread during the week, with the celebration of it taking place on the 7th day. Also that the millennium will parallel how on the 7th day G*d rested from His labors, after the harvest had been reaped from the earth. But not something to argue over.

This is helpful. I wouldn't be wild about writ prayers, but I understand how many value tradition as well.
I light shabbat candles just before sundown and recite the blessing. It is amazing how in that moment, when all the hustle and bustle ends, and the candles are lit, I can feel the Sabbath peace come to rest over my home.

One of my greatest pleasures of the day is the Friday night Shabbat Table (evening meal). I have cooked food before sundown that is special for the holy day. I have a white table cloth and I use my best dishes. It is the only time of the week that I drink a half cup of wine (good ol' Manischevitz.) There is a special blessing over the wine (Kiddush) and over the bread (HaMotzi). There is also a special blessing for the washing of hands. The table looks so beautiful with its tablecloth and candles, it reminds me of the children's song, "The Sabbath table is like a princess dressed in white. She wears a crown of sparkling jewels burning bright." Sometimes I'll have company and we'll stay up late discussing Torah. After I'm finished I say grace after meals (HaMotzi).

Saturday morning can go one of two ways.

Sometimes I get up and put on my very best clothes and go to synagogue. We have a Torah class, followed by prayers (Shacharit) including the reading of the Torah scrolls.

Other times I say, Heck, It's a day of Rest! And I sleep in late, and I don't get out of my PJ's and I wear my favorite bunny slippers all day. I especially like this option because I prefer not to travel/drive on Shabbos.

I usually have special snack foods for the day -- Shabbat is the only day of the week that I'll eat sweets. I also have a yummy crock pot meal going that I started before sundown on Friday, so I get a nice hot meal Saturday at lunch time.

Mostly I read a lot on Shabbat. I try to read spiritually uplifting books, including fiction although that's less common.

I love all this (bunny slippers = a nice touch, LoL). Much of this is what I am looking forward to as well. Eating the best food I can find, both spiritually and materially, and having the best time of the week.
When twilight comes, I end Shabbat with a short ritual called Havdalah, where I sip wine, smell spices, and light a multi-wicked candle (torch) along with blessings.

Another aspect I plan on employing. I intend on buying incense to light along with candles and a menorah when I begin on Friday night, in accompaniment to offering prayers and thanksgivings. Sweet-smeling savors is the natural accompaniment to prayer.

God bless, and thanks for a more in-depth response.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not too sure that 'celebrate' is the best word. Shabbat is observed, and in / by that observance comes the joy of being obedient to G_d.

'Celebrate' makes it sound too much like a secular party time, to me. I would hate people to get the wrong idea :)

• Agree
Reactions: gadar perets
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hidden In Him

Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not too sure that 'celebrate' is the best word. Shabbat is observed, and in / by that observance comes the joy of being obedient to G_d.

'Celebrate' makes it sound too much like a secular party time, to me. I would hate people to get the wrong idea :)

:) Yes, I agree it ought to be kept Holy unto the Lord. But as a festive time of rejoicing in all the blessings He has provided both materially and spiritually, celebration is the word I would use, regardless of the connotations worldly types might make of it.

Upvote 0