• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How do you Caregivers handle Xmas and Scripture?

curious mike

Oct 30, 2015
✟19,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey guys, we all know what the scriptures say about the Xmas tree, decorations and all Paganism associated with Xmas. Every Xmas in the kitchen area I setup a tree for my Autistic son with a lighted Angel on top and put a few decorations around the room. I do this because he enjoys it and it serves as a distraction form his autism issues.

It is said that God requires mercy not sacrifice but still it is moving away from scriptural commands. Just wondering how any Caregivers here deal with this please?

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys, we all know what the scriptures say about the Xmas tree, decorations and all Paganism associated with Xmas. Every Xmas in the kitchen area I setup a tree for my Autistic son with a lighted Angel on top and put a few decorations around the room. I do this because he enjoys it and it serves as a distraction form his autism issues.

It is said that God requires mercy not sacrifice but still it is moving away from scriptural commands. Just wondering how any Caregivers here deal with this please?

Actually there are no references in scripture to Christmas, or anything associated with Christmas, with the pagan names for the months of the year or days of the week.

What is implied in Romans is one's attitude to the pagan aspects of Christmas.
There is nothing wrong with celebrating Jesus's incarnation, it is how we do it.
Presents yes, but what about Samaratans Purse shoe boxes, Barnabas funds and Tear funds charity donations do we match expenditure on the family with what they largely don't need with an equal spending on those who do need money spent on them.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

curious mike

Oct 30, 2015
✟19,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right, I found the video. While there is no scripture addressing Christmas since it did not exist at that time, it is saying that that it is not ok to worship with pagan practices as long as in our hearts we worship Jesus. Christmas is a tradition of men, not of Christ.

So there are several scriptures warning against following traditions of men such as:

Mark 7:6-9 (ESV) And he said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written,
“‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me,
teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’
You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.”
And he said to them, “You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish your tradition!

Mark 7:13, KJV: "Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye."

Colossians 2:8, NIV: "See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ."

I try not to celebrate it myself with anyone around me but sometimes it is impossible when they are here. i try to Keep my thoughts on Christ as best as I can.

For Mike, yes it is a very tricky subject because he is 21 now and is an intelligent person but still has the mind of a child in some ways.

This is the video which in my opinion a great video detailing everything about Xmas and Scriptures:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEDXBmMv5zE

Upvote 0